Status
Not open for further replies.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
I'm trying to come up with an ending for an article about Saint Peter.

My opening is the fact that he was Mr. Swordsman when he thought it was time to fight (knowing of Jesus' powers, he wasn't afraid of the enemy). Then he turns yellow when he realizes that no one has his back...when he sees this was all about submission to the divine will.

There's some obvious conclusions from this...about obedience and such.

I'm trying to think of something kind of deep. Something not so surface.

Any ideas?

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
I think a better comparison would be Peter cursing and denying he knew Christ vs. Peter standing up to the Sanhedrin.

Peter cowered and hid from danger before he had the Holy Spirit, but after he received the Spirit he was bold and courageous.

Lesson? With God ALL things are possible.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps some.

KP99

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
This account makes me think of forgiveness and compassion, the idea that even Peter, who's considered a very important apostle, sometimes didn't do everything just right. If God favored him with Holy Spirit, Truth, and a special place in the first century congregation, doesn't that give Christians today hope in God's forgiving them and showing compassion to mankind?

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
The problem is, there's already a lot of this in the Catholic literature. Remember that not only do Catholics beleive he was in the congregation, but that he was the first pope...so it's often illustrated that Christ can do great things, even with a common coward.

I'm trying to get into the head of Peter...why was he so brave against the highpreist? Only hours later, he did what he swore he would never do. I'm assuming it was because he thought they were on the verge of some great battle. And he knew he was on the winning side. He just didn't understand the battle.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I've always just loved Peter. How human can you get??
I think more than "with God all things are possible", that stories about Peter always remind me how important it is to keep focused on Christ. When he walked on water, it was only while his eyes were turned to Christ that he held firm. He had strength once filled with the Holy Spirit and while in the company of other "fighting" believers, but left alone, he was weak and ..unsure?
I've always thought of Peter like my hot-headed brother..quite confident and gallant when on a cause and with an agreeable audience, but take him out of his element and he gets very small. Peter obviously had a true heart for Christ, and sought His approval.. and it was Christ from whom he drew his strength.

Would love a peek at your article once it's published :)

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that Peter was very led by his emotions. The key evidence for me is when Jesus asked the disciples who they thought He was. Peter said, "You are the Son of God." The next minute, Peter is arguing with Jesus about His necessary death, and Jesus is saying, "Get thee behind me, Satan!"

I think Peter is a great illustration of how emotions can be good in that they help us to step out a little--Peter was always a very enthusiastic, passionate person. But allowing ourselves to be led by them does not allow for a very stable spiritual walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.