WHY do Agents act like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to bluntly say Agents act stuck up, or are self centered (although for a few, that would be considered valid). Also note, this thread post isn't in any way intended to flam or belittle anyone, or be considered as a rant. I would like an discussion.

What I don't get: If agents make a percentage, why do they turn down projects only because it does not relate to them. But choose projects that they feel "will sell", only because it relates/connects to them? How does that benefit them, or the Literary Market?

MOST Agents,
from what I've read, interned, and/or graduated from various colleges etc, and are in / have been in the literary world most of their lives. So I can't help but think that's the reason why most Agents create a fictitious element bubble of what they believe is good, or not good based on their interests and/or idols/successful Authors.

I always thought the reason why so many stories of this generation lacked originality and thought, was because of the lack of original writters. But now, I believe it's due to the fact that most Agents/Publishers are closed minded, or are tainted to their fears of the market, to "what's in". Including if they have factual evidence to support their fears.

Honestly, some of the greatest work of our time if had not been published yet, attempted to be published now, would probably never make it.

First of all, the literary world (businesses, writer's, reader's) is very small in percentage compared to the broad world of entertainment. Let's face it, not many people read. So with that said, the market's main influence is only shaped by the people who are regular readers or are active in the literary world. BUT there are some books that reach beyond the literary world, to those many people who don't usually read, but learned, or heard of a story so great they couldn't help but read or find out more information about this once project, that happened to be given a chance, and strived.

PEOPLE BUY THE STORY NOT THE BOOK
A genre is mainly for classifications, agreed? it's the story/ uniqueness of the story that truly wins people over for years to come. EX: What's the genre of novels such as twilight? Sure you did your homework, you might know it. I don't, and many of the readers/non readers don't either, they just know the story. People who do not usually read, had read that book. This goes for with the harry potter series etc etc. It wasn't because of the "brilliant writing" techniques or the "Amazing Author" It was because of the brilliant/unique story.

So my question is, how can an agent or even publisher really represent the interest of (in a broad sense) everyone? And how can they really "not feel connected" to a story, without actually reading it, or being open enough to see how it could relate/interest a very broad amount of people even if it doesn't relate to them, or to their knowledge, fit into the literary market.

A standard query, in most cases is not enough to even begin to elaborate on the greatness of a project, A paragraph pitch of each chapter would be even be better suited, but people stick to laws and normality. However even the perfect query is no match for the average agent, who cares more about their reputation than their job.
Again, how is it beneficial, not only the Literary Market, but to the Literary World, if doors are shut to scared, closed minded individuals who are brainwashed in their own sense of securities.

You can learn to judge, you can learn to write/edit. You can read all the facts, and historical works. You can study the market, and leech your opinions off of previous success stories.

But sometime in your career you have to realize, you are not just an agent. You're a key to Literature, and you can impact the market yourself, and a world broader than the one you're currently craving to be a part of.

That is what an Agent should strive to be. A key, not a lock.

So can someone explain to me why this happens?

FYI: I am asking because every Agent that has replied to me, stated that my Novel is great, possibly amazing. But it just doesn't seem to "fit them", or their agency. Even simply because "They just don't sign many authors a year"... why does that even matter? *sigh*

Again, I don't know the business, I'm just wondering.

- EDIT: If this seems a little immature, then I'm sorry for being 19. -

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Better I think you need to do a lot more reading into publishing, and agents.

I'd start with this: Slushkiller.

It'll probably upset you; that's ok. Keep reading, read all of it, even the comments.

Goldenleaves

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be hard for a person to throw their weight behind a book that they didn't truly believe had some financial potential. Agents have to eat and pay rent and keep their rep for presenting saleable ms.

Also, I don't think I'd want anyone to represent my writing if they didn't have at least some belief in it's economic viability.

Nowadays people can self publish so there is always the option of doing without both agents and publishers if none are willing to take the risk. I've heard the e-book option is not too difficult or expensive.

Better

Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist,

The relevant portion of that, which I'm currently reading only makes me
want to bluntly question are agents in for the commission, literature, or attempting both and failing? I guess it all depends on the Agent, and their beliefs... like I imagined, but it still doesn't truly answer my questions. Then again I haven't gotten feedback such as the examples.

I'm fairly aware of how things work in the process, and I know by far I am not the only one who might feel a certain way. But i still want to know.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't got an agent, I'm not an agent, and I don't know a ton about this... but I'd assume it's just them doing their jobs for the most part.

What I don't get: If agents make a percentage, why do they turn down projects only because it does not relate to them. But choose projects that they feel "will sell", only because it relates/connects to them? How does that benefit them, or the Literary Market?
I might be misunderstanding you here, and I'm sorry if so, but it seems like if they were constantly representing things that they couldn't sell, and pushing manuscripts that no one wanted to buy, and it would make them look bad. That might diminish their future abilities to sell a book they truly believe in.

I think you're saying that they could just represent everything and try to sell it, hoping that some of them will hit and they'll make a percentage. But I'd think it'd be better for everyone (save perhaps the rejection letter recipient) for them to represent fewer books that sell well and area really good than more books that aren't?

Maybe? Again, I don't know. But that's just the impression I've had.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You're not the first person to ask this question.

Back when I was querying a book that hasn't been published, the agent said in essence, There's nothing really wrong with this, but it doesn't do much for me and that means I won't be your best advocate.

That's the key: You can't be a good advocate for what you're not rooting for body, mind and soul.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

Better

Registered
Reaction score
Goldenleaves,

I agree! lol. I still question where an Agent's "potential ability to sell" would even come from, as I stated, the literary world is small, and unpredictable at times. In which in most cases it's the author or series who sells. But if an agent thinks a ms will sell, but doesn't completely enjoy the book. What does it matter? Where does that set their morals, if one takes on a project he/she likes, but probably won't sell very well?

Deleted member 42

The relevant portion of that, which I'm currently reading only makes me
want to bluntly question are agents in for the commission, literature, or attempting both and failing? I guess it all depends on the Agent, and their beliefs

Being an agent is a job. It's not a vocation like the church. They only get paid if they pick books that publishers want to publish. If they don't pick successfully, they have no income.

It's not about the literature, as you put, other than that agents do tend to truly believe that the books they're repping are really extraordinary books.

They can't rep all the clients they'd like to; there isn't time enough or energy enough. So they have to rep the ones that they think will successfully appeal to editors and other readers.

If you want a career about literature, spend 70k and ten years and get a Ph.D. in English or another language, or comp lit.

I note that I don't think legit agents are failing, at all. I think you might do well to read some agent blogs; Janet Reid and Jennifer Laughran are two of my favorites because they're honest, smart, and love books.

Neither of them reps my primary genres, but I've bought book they've repped or just recommended (i.e. they aren't the agents for the author) because they know good books.

I'd also suggest you might read everything on both these FAQs:

[Business of Writing] On Agents

[Publishing]: Stuff Every Writer Ought to Read

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I would never want someone trying to sell something I wrote if they didn't love it as much as I do.

Which is why I appreciate when an agent tells me they don't connect to my work. Even if it means I have to keep looking.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
FYI: I am asking because every Agent that has replied to me, stated that my Novel is great, possibly amazing. But it just doesn't seem to "fit them", or their agency. Even simply because "They just don't sign many authors a year"... why does that even matter? *sigh*

Do you like every book in a book store? Would you want to spend months and years of time devoted to each book in a book store? They can't take everything, even if they think it would sell. Because who wants to spend so much time on something they don't love?

Also, I hate to say it, but are you getting personalized rejections? Are you sure? A lot of agents' form rejection includes a line about not fitting their list or not connecting with the story or not taking many authors per year.

Have you been on QueryTracker? From my experience, those who use QT tend to be more savvy authors, and still most agents only ask for more material from less than 10% of queriers. The percentage of people who get offered representation is in the low single digits.

Last edited:

Better

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't got an agent, I'm not an agent, and I don't know a ton about this... but I'd assume it's just them doing their jobs for the most part.

I might be misunderstanding you here, and I'm sorry if so, but it seems like if they were constantly representing things that they couldn't sell, and pushing manuscripts that no one wanted to buy, and it would make them look bad. That might diminish their future abilities to sell a book they truly believe in.

I think you're saying that they could just represent everything and try to sell it, hoping that some of them will hit and they'll make a percentage. But I'd think it'd be better for everyone (save perhaps the rejection letter recipient) for them to represent fewer books that sell well and area really good than more books that aren't?

Maybe? Again, I don't know. But that's just the impression I've had.

No, that statement did NOT mean take on every project. I meant, if an Agent looks at a ms, and knows it will mostly sell to a broad audience but decides not to take it on because of their personal interests, who is it benefiting, especially if many other agents state the same. Alot of Agents have a certain element for their genre selections, and I can not make sense of it, for the life of me.

Is the Agent going to be ruining their reputation if they have a successful project that they weren't completely into?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Looking at the end of your post, maybe they didn't want to rep your book and were trying to let you down easy? it's frustrating to get rejected, but I highly doubt the problem is a weakness of the publishing industry.

It's not that hard to figure out from a query if you wanna rep the book.

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all:

You got form letters. Do not look for meaning in form letters. Form letters don't mean anything but "no"--they don't actually reflect anything about you or the manuscript.

Second, that "they don't sign many authors a year" matters because once they've taken on all they can take on, they can't take no more. So they must be very selective, you see. There's only so much time to spend on a manuscript. They can't take on stuff they think is a "maybe"--they need "hell yes."

Whether the manuscript "fits" the agent or agency is also important. You don't want an agent who doesn't care about your manuscript to be representing it. You don't want an agent who only knows how to sell YA fantasy to take on your erotica series or whathaveyou. It's about best outcomes for both parties--one of the parties being you.

What do you mean by "relate to them"? Do you mean they only take on projects that they like?

See above--if an agent doesn't care about the manuscript, why would they throw all the faith of their paycheck behind it?

Unless you mean something else by "relate to"?

MOST Agents,
from what I've read, interned, and/or graduated from various colleges etc, and are in / have been in the literary world most of their lives. So I can't help but think that's the reason why most Agents create a fictitious element bubble of what they believe is good, or not good based on their interests and/or idols/successful Authors.
What? Can you explain what you mean with specifics?

Good agents believe what they believe is good BECAUSE they are plugged into the industry and know what will sell, i.e. what is "good." Or is this more about what agents do or don't like? Dood, if I was an agent, you don't want me representing your erotica novel. Know why? I don't read erotica. I know nothing about the erotica market. I'm completely asexual, in fact. I wouldn't know what makes an erotica book "good." You want an agent who knows what they're on about. Who reads what you write. Who knows about that market.

I always thought the reason why so many stories of this generation lacked originality and thought, was because of the lack of original writters. But now, I believe it's due to the fact that most Agents/Publishers are closed minded, or are tainted to their fears of the market, to "what's in". Including if they have factual evidence to support their fears.
I don't understand what this means either. If there's factual evidence that a manuscript won't sell, and I'm an agent, I'm probably not taking it on. Being an agent is a job. This means I, hypothetical agent, need to sell manuscripts in order to pay rent and stuff. So I'm going to rep ones that I think I can sell.

First of all, the literary world (businesses, writer's, reader's) is very small in percentage compared to the broad world of entertainment. Let's face it, not many people read. So with that said, the market's main influence is only shaped by the people who are regular readers or are active in the literary world. BUT there are some books that reach beyond the literary world, to those many people who don't usually read, but learned, or heard of a story so great they couldn't help but read or find out more information about this once project, that happened to be given a chance, and strived.
I'm afraid I don't follow at all. Do you have an example of this?

PEOPLE BUY THE STORY NOT THE BOOK
A genre is mainly for classifications, agreed? it's the story/ uniqueness of the story that truly wins people over for years to come. EX: What's the genre of novels such as twilight? Sure you did your homework, you might know it. I don't, and many of the readers/non readers don't either, they just know the story. People who do not usually read, had read that book. This goes for with the harry potter series etc etc. It wasn't because of the "brilliant writing" techniques or the "Amazing Author" It was because of the brilliant/unique story.
What does genre have to do with any of that?

So my question is, how can an agent or even publisher really represent the interest of (in a broad sense) everyone? And how can they really "not feel connected" to a story, without actually reading it, or being open enough to see how it could relate/interest a very broad amount of people even if it doesn't relate to them, or to their knowledge, fit into the literary market.
Back in my hypothetical "I'm an agent"-land: If I don't care about the story, and it doesn't fit into the literary market, then it doesn't sell, and I as lit agent have fucked myself over, as well as fucked over the author I am representing.

A standard query, in most cases is not enough to even begin to elaborate on the greatness of a project, A paragraph pitch of each chapter would be even be better suited, but people stick to laws and normality. However even the perfect query is no match for the average agent, who cares more about their reputation than their job.

Again, how is it beneficial, not only the Literary Market, but to the Literary World, if doors are shut to scared, closed minded individuals who are brainwashed in their own sense of securities.
I'm afraid I don't follow this either.

You can learn to judge, you can learn to write/edit. You can read all the facts, and historical works. You can study the market, and leech your opinions off of previous success stories.

But sometime in your career you have to realize, you are not just an agent. You're a key to Literature, and you can impact the market yourself, and a world broader than the one you're currently craving to be a part of.
Agents do not decide what sells.

Readers do.

I'm afraid I don't understand a lot of the argument (and really, some of that might be on me because I've kind of a slow head), but I sense that you are reading way too much into form rejections. Please don't take form rejections as commentary on yourself or your manuscript; they only mean that the agent doesn't want the manuscript.

Have you had your manuscript critiqued? I'm concerned by some of the writing I'm seeing in the post. That could be the rather more boring reason for the form rejections...

Last edited:

Better

Registered
Reaction score
Also, I hate to say it, but are you getting personalized rejections? Are you sure? A lot of agents' form rejection includes a line about not fitting their list or not connecting with the story or not taking many authors per year.
Have you been on QueryTracker? From my experience, those who use QT tend to be more savvy authors, and still most agents only ask for more material from less than 10% of queriers. The percentage of people who get offered representation is in the low single digits.

If by personal you mean directed towards me individually, yes. If you mean personal as in their personal opinions, then I cannot say for sure. I know they are directed towards me because they always specify on the project characteristics and to my background, giving me sites to check for other agents.

I am not upset about my rejections/replies They actually encouraged me in a way! But I just wonder, why. and to answer the book store comment, If i was actively looking for something to read, and someone offered me a unique book that I found interesting even if I didn't usual read those kinds, I would read it.

MatthewHJonesAuthor

A Desperado in Search of A Murderer
Registered
Reaction score
The way it was broken down for me was, imagine if there were thousands, possibly millions of agents and only a few hundred writers.

If, in that world, an agent emailed me and said, "I'm like to represent your Women's fiction novel", and talked about all of his connections in Women's fiction markets, I'm gently have to tell him "I don't write Women's Fiction. I don't know how to a Women's fiction novel. I don't think I've ever even read Women's fiction."

That's the situation that agents are in. They're specialists and they specialize in things that they'd read anyway. Just like I couldn't write a women's fiction novel, they can't sell something they wouldn't read on their own.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
MOST Agents,
Read a slushpile sometime. It won't take you long to adjust your definition of "good."

It's a business, and a business has to be run at a profit or it folds. The trendy projects create revenue that allow the quirky or quiet ones to exist, even if quirky and quiet don't get as much fanfare.

Honestly, some of the greatest work of our time if had not been published yet, attempted to be published now, would probably never make it.
^ This is what you call a literary paradox.

Could Shakespeare or Jane Austen be published now? Probably not, but if they hadn't been published in their established time / market, then the market as we know it now wouldn't exist.

However, if you look at interpretations of Shakespeare and Jane Austen, or any of the other classics that have been reset and retold, then YES, they would be and have been published in the modern market.

EX: What's the genre of novels such as twilight? Sure you did your homework, you might know it. I don't, and many of the readers/non readers don't either, they just know the story. People who do not usually read, had read that book. This goes for with the harry potter series etc etc. It wasn't because of the "brilliant writing" techniques or the "Amazing Author" It was because of the brilliant/unique story.
Genre is for marketing purposes, whether the reader knows what it is, or not. Even if you've never heard of "urban fantasy" or " paranormal romance," you likely still find books by grouping them together, even if that group is "I want a book like Twilight, but different." Given that information, a bookstore clerk (or Amazon's "recommendations") will point you to the right genre.

And "brilliant/unique" isn't nearly as important as you think it is. Readers like familiarity, not originality in most cases. That's why retellings are so popular.

So my question is, how can an agent or even publisher really represent the interest of (in a broad sense) everyone?
They don't. They specialize. Urban fantasy agents don't rep cozy mysteries, and young adult editors don't acquire literary novels about middle aged men and women out to relive their youth via road trip.

And how can they really "not feel connected" to a story, without actually reading it, or being open enough to see how it could relate/interest a very broad amount of people even if it doesn't relate to them, or to their knowledge, fit into the literary market.
1 - they read until they lose interest, so the decisions aren't made without reading.

2 - it's not just one person making the decision. Acquisitions is an entire department of a publisher that works with marketing to make their best-educated judgment of the piece in question.

A standard query, in most cases is not enough to even begin to elaborate on the greatness of a project,
Agreed - which is why adding the first chapter is standard practice.

However even the perfect query is no match for the average agent, who cares more about their reputation than their job.
*haz 100 ft pole*
*won't touch this*

: I am asking because every Agent that has replied to me, stated that my Novel is great, possibly amazing. But it just doesn't seem to "fit them", or their agency. Even simply because "They just don't sign many authors a year"... why does that even matter? *sigh*
Those are form rejections.

Is the Agent going to be ruining their reputation if they have a successful project that they weren't completely into?

No, but taking on a project they don't have the contacts to sell won't benefit the author or the agent. An agent who handles mostly horror or erotic romance may love a religion themed novel, or may feel that a certain MG book will have mass appeal, but those aren't the editors that agent works with. They aren't in the best position to make the author the best deal.

Last edited:

wampuscat

Registered
Reaction score
and to answer the book store comment, If i was actively looking for something to read, and someone offered me a unique book that I found interesting even if I didn't usual read those kinds, I would read it.

But would you stake your salary on whether or not you could sell those books? Wouldn't you prefer to take on only what you love? Agenting is a big risk in a lot of ways.

Better

Registered
Reaction score
buzhidao,

What do you mean by "relate to them"? Do you mean they only take on projects that they like?

See above--if an agent doesn't care about the manuscript, why would they throw all the faith of their paycheck behind it?

Unless you mean something else by "relate to"?
I mean, if an agent could understand clearly understand and state the potential. why not AT LEAST READ It.

What? Can you explain what you mean with specifics?

Good agents believe what they believe is good BECAUSE they are plugged into the industry and know what will sell, i.e. what is "good." Or is this more about what agents do or don't like? Dood, if I was an agent, you don't want me representing your erotica novel. Know why? I don't read erotica. I know nothing about the erotica market. I'm completely asexual, in fact. I wouldn't know what makes an erotica book "good." You want an agent who knows what they're on about. Who reads what you write. Who knows about that market.
Interestingly enough I am Asexual as well. What i meant here, is that being "plugged" into an industry does not limit the potential. Everyone does not read or buy books, many people can.
so how can you limit a book's potential only based in the current lit market
I don't understand what this means either. If there's factual evidence that a manuscript won't sell, and I'm an agent, I'm probably not taking it on. Being an agent is a job. This means I, hypothetical agent, need to sell manuscripts in order to pay rent and stuff. So I'm going to rep ones that I think I can sell.
I meant here for examle, dystopian is a genre which is said not to be a good seller, but how does the genre represent the story entirely. meaning it could be dystopian but also have contemporary or thriller accents etc.

I'm afraid I don't follow at all. Do you have an example of this?
What does genre have to do with any of that?
should have kept reading ^^ But I only Used genre because some agents dont take multi genres. I also used to signify that great stories defeat their genre classification, or does not enitrely fit into it. Or could be represented as another.

Agents do not decide what sells. Readers do.
Which is exactly why I'm asking how can an Agent truly judge place in the range of readers.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Better - agents have a job to do. It's about money. Your sense of entitlement means nothing to them. And being 19 means you're an adult. So maybe just settle down and read what people are saying, because learning is good and productive. Ranting - not so much.

Last edited:

Better

Registered
Reaction score
Better - agents have a job to do. It's about money. Your sense of entitlement means nothing to them. And being 19 means you're an adult. So maybe just settle down and read what people are saying, because learning is good and productive. Ranting - not so much.

Including you, many of you guys missed the purpose of the post. I'm only asking questions to learn or have an sense of idea versus being unaware/lost. Also others could learn from this as well. kthx

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Including you, many of you guys missed the purpose of the post. I'm only asking questions to learn or have an sense of idea versus being unaware/lost. Also others could learn from this as well. kthx

Well if you're a writer I'd suggest checking your words for tone. And if you're a professional I'd suggest looking around a bit to see how the site works. Hint: a hello in a newbie thread might not have been a bad start. Also, charging into a thread where agents give their time to help people learn and making your first post there an attack on agents is was maybe not the way to go...

ETA: But it's a nicer post now, I note - so, yes, learning is good. :Sun:

Last edited:

wampuscat

Registered
Reaction score
If your goal really is to learn, I suggest reading the boards as well as agent blogs. The fact that your first post at AW was to post this thread and you've only posted in this thread makes it seem like learning is not your goal.

As for why an agent wouldn't read a novel they thought had potential, most agents are so busy that they read unagented MSs on their weekends. They get hundreds of queries a week. They can't read every novel they see potential in. I've heard several agents say they can tell in the first two pages whether the book is something they'd be interested in reading.

Better

Registered
Reaction score
If your goal really is to learn, I suggest reading the boards as well as agent blogs. The fact that your first post at AW was to post this thread and you've only posted in this thread makes it seem like learning is not your goal.

As for why an agent wouldn't read a novel they thought had potential, most agents are so busy that they read unagented MSs on their weekends. They get hundreds of queries a week. They can't read every novel they see potential in. I've heard several agents say they can tell in the first two pages whether the book is something they'd be interested in reading.

You are quick at assuming, but I can assure you the only reason I posted this, was because it was the only thing I didn't understand. I actually did a lot of reading, and have wondered about this for months. This was a last resort kind of deal for me. I wanted an discussion, not an argument that many of you are so eager to feed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.