Spin-off: Paying for book award consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading the other thread about contest entry fees set me to checking into what I paid for the contest I entered ($45), but also what contests/awards there are for published books. I found there are entry fees of $50-100 for most of them.

For example, entry for a Pulitzer Prize is a $50 "handling fee." Parent's Choice award entry is $100. Dayton Literary Peace Prize ($10,000 award) has a nomination fee of $100. There is no fee for Caldecott, Newberry or Printz awards, but fees seem to be more common than not, even among prestigious awards.

I assume that ones publisher would opt to submit projects they deem worthy, but that the author could enter as they choose.

Do you think it's legit to submit your own work, or should it be "nominated" by someone else (an editor, academics, etc). Have you had a book entered for an "award?" Did you pay the fee, or did your publisher? Would you consider entering yourself if your publisher didn't pay the fee? Does having an entry fee "cheapen" the award itself?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had to enter for one of these awards, since the publishers have done so for me, but while I detest most contests that ask for money, and find them worthless, awards of this type are a different matter.

I don't see where ponying up would harm anything, but I would wonder why the publisher didn't want to do so.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised to find recently that anyone can enter a book for the Pulitzer. I'd assumed that only publishers could enter them.

I don't think a fee matters, on its own. There are a lot of books entered for the big prizes, and a fee is kind of a gatekeeper, in addition to helping with the substantial expenses.

What I do think is important is distinguishing between entrants and nominees and finalists. The precise terminology can matter greatly. For example, there are several journalists who have claimed they are Pulitzer nominees, when in fact that title is only applied to the finalists. Their books or reporting may have been entered, but it didn't get further recognition. The writing / awards community is pretty decent about calling these fakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.