PDA

View Full Version : I wouldn't ask you to post about my book, but I'll ask you to repost this

Perks
08-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone.

A few weeks ago, I almost died.

In the end, nothing happened to me at all. I was a tick of the second hand and about thirty inches from being mangled, if not out of my life, then out of my life as I know it.

I came around a curve on the sheer-drop side of a mountain road near my home to find a huge black pickup (you know, the kind with doubled tires at the rear) going too fast and almost completely in my lane.

In the instant we were so close, I saw his head snap up and his phone go flying. He was texting.

I've been on a tear ever since. It was so close. And so incredibly senseless.

And I'm pissed off.

The other day, a friend emailed a link to a short film by director Werner Herzog and my recent preoccupation suddenly had an outlet.

I wouldn't ask any of you to hawk my book or scatter my writerly links to the world, but I'd ask you to consider sharing the link to this short post I wrote about my encounter (http://jamiemason.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/i-would-say-please-but-i-dont-feel-polite-about-this/ )

or just a link to the film, itself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqFkRwdFZ0#at=1012)

Thank you. It's important.

SWest
08-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't drive that much lately, but the number of people (usually adults) I do see *on-the-road-on-the-phone* in some way is incredible.

And one cannot text without looking away from the road entirely.

'Glad you had your wits about you.

Perks
08-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Nah, my wits didn't help at all. There was nothing I could do. There was only the Ford's grill on one side and a 100+ foot drop on the other, the Devil and the deep blue sea.

He had to snap to and get back to his side of the road or I was dead. It was all down to him. His truck and his speed had taken away my options. I'm so fortunate that his reaction worked in time. There are many roads in the mountains where there's very little room for error.

robjvargas
08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
The campaigns against texting and driving are aimed *hard* at younger drivers. not that they shouldn't be, but there's another problem almost as large involving older drivers doing it as well.

See the graph on Page four at this link (http://www.distraction.gov/download/811611.pdf).

It's a universal problem.

One woman ran through a crosswalk I was using and probably never even saw me. She had her smartphone up to her left ear and it blocked her eyes from seeing me to one side as well. So it's not *just* texting, either.

Maze Runner
08-13-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm watching the video. The only thing I'd add is, on the other end, don't text or call someone if you know they are driving.

Pretty sure there was a case in NJ recently where the driver was sentenced to jail time, and they'd considered charging the person on the other end of those texts as well though I don't think they did.

SWest
08-13-2013, 08:27 PM
The campaigns against texting and driving are aimed *hard* at younger drivers...

Which don't positively impact most under-25ers, since their brains are not able to fully project consequences of actions into the future. No matter what they pledge, if they feel an impulse to phone/text, they do.

But campaigns aimed at this demographic may also inadvertently suggest to adults that only young ("inexperienced") drivers are at risk for distraction.

regdog
08-13-2013, 11:23 PM
:Hug2 Glad you're still with us.

Perks
08-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Well, thank you. Me too.

Mclesh
08-14-2013, 12:39 AM
I watched this over the weekend when a friend shared the link on FB. Everyone should see it.

So glad you're okay!

>compass<
08-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Add to texting and talking: messing with iPods, messing with GPS, messing with any screen especially at night when the user's eyes have to readjust after looking at the screen's bright (expletive) light. It's terrifying how many screens there are going on at any time in some (most) cars. Touch screens aren't helping any. My old mp3 player was great because I could change the song without looking by using the buttons, but that's much harder to do with a touch screen -- even with the positions of the "buttons" memorized. And some of the newer cars basically have a tv set in the dash. I dunno about anyone else, but when there's a moving lit up screen in my immediate (especially dark) vicinity, my eyes are automatically drawn to it.

Williebee
08-14-2013, 03:34 AM
And smoking. Lets face it, if something is on fire three inches from your eyes? It deserves your full attention.

We're pushing the video link out to all of our schools next week.

Little Anonymous Me
08-14-2013, 03:46 AM
Someone gave me a ride once and we're at a stop sign, and the idiot pulls out his phone and lets his fingers fly. I'm part of the generation that's the main problem, and I want to pull my hair out. It's f-ing ridiculous. I'm a big texter. I can do about 1000 texts in two days if I'm really chatty. And I can swear that there isn't a single word of any of those that can't wait.

And I guarantee it's the same for everyone else.