• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writing Block Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Rocks

Banned
Reaction score
Two primary blocks:

1. Insecurity about writing.
2. Pre-conceived ideas about what should be written.

In "Writing Anxiety" thread, RookieWriter mentions the first problem, and in "No Idea How To Begin," SweetNightmare touches on the second. Both can be solved if you are willing to put in the sweat equity.

(Cont'd)

Last edited:

Lance Rocks

Banned
Reaction score
1. Many new writers faces an insecurity that says, "Who am I to be doing this?" This particular insecurity is precisely why most people don't write.

2. Our brains become cramped with ideas about what we're supposed to be writing at a given time. "I need to do my first chapter." "I can't find an ending." "I had this great character and now he's going nowhere." Common problems all.

The way to end writer's block FOREVER is to abandon calculation and instead just write: freely, openly, without goals or even conscious thought.

This technique is called "psychographic" or "automatic" writing, and here's the Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_writing

(Cont'd)

Last edited:

Lance Rocks

Banned
Reaction score
My automatic writing was done on a Hermes 3000 typewriter, but any other tool can be used. Computer, pen and ink, crayons, etc. Whatever it takes to get the exercise going is what you should use.

What is writing? Words on paper, nothing more. So long as you are putting words on paper - or here, into cyberspace - you are writing.

Rather than focus on content - what every blocked writer does - instead devise an automated way to write. Then do it.

In my case, with the Hermes, the task was to set my typewriter single-space with margins full out. Then, beginning at the top of the page I TYPED WITHOUT THINKING until the page flew out of the machine. Here's one example:

LANCE'S AUTOMATIC WRITING: "You And 39 Others"
http://randomfilm.com/poems/39others.gif

Again, the idea is to eliminate thought while you write, and instead reach a certain mechanical goal for the exercise. For me it was one solid page of words, NO STOPPING until the paper came out of the machine.

If you don't use a typewriter but are on a computer, you might set a timer for the exercise, say 10 - 15 minutes total. Likewise with pen and paper.

Now here's the hard part. You have to do the exercise every writing day for an extended period of time: it was three years for me, then I was done.

(Cont'd)

Last edited:

Lance Rocks

Banned
Reaction score
Finally, you may be saying, "What am I going to do with all this writing?"

Well, I framed the pages and sold them at my readings: they were very popular!

But the writing itself is unimportant; what matters is the writing instrument, which is you. At some point the automated writing merges with your regular writing and you never suffer writer's block again.

Give it a try and let me know!

: = ) Lance

Last edited:

cornetto

Registered
Reaction score
RE: You and 39 Others

Looks a lot like some of the "crazy file" letters I used to get when I worked at Gurney Seed & Nursery many years ago. Only those were usually scribbled on grocery bags...in a spiral pattern...post marked Royal Oak Michigan.

Uh.....you're not from Royal Oak, are you?

Lance Rocks

Banned
Reaction score
Uh.....you're not from Royal Oak, are you?

cornetto, thank you! Much appreciated.

I'm an Angeleno, someone from Los Angeles. Spent ten years in NoCal at UC Davis, where my writing journey really began. Living back here in SoCal (Newport Beach) since 1965...no more moves if I can help it!

The only sentence I used from that page came in the middle of all the verbiage: "Disease is free for those who need it." Just the way I work - too stupid to write a conventional story.

How are things in Royal Oak? Would love to hear something about it, should you read this.

Best to you,

Lance

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I've used timed writing to great effect for warming up ye ol' brainmeats.

I also use timed writing to get things actually written for my novels.

These two things are usually all I need to take care of the insecurities issue.

As for
2. Pre-conceived ideas about what should be written.

I have a system that works for me first time, every time.

It also works for those times where I'm stymied about where I should be going next in my tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.