Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
A columnist in the NY Times (sorry, don't recall his name) posted an interesting question recently. If they had steroids for writers, illegal but effective, would you take them? And by effective I mean not only writing faster but writing better, with more clarity.

Ultimately his answer is no, but only because of the illegality, which seemed to me sort of a cop-out. Say you're unlikely to get caught and outed: Would you take them?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
YESPLEASE. Where can I get them? :D

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
If they improved performance but had no adverse side-effects, why would they be illegal?

Provided they weren't prohibitively expensive and I wouldn't be in any danger while acquiring them and they weren't physically addictive and they wouldn't need to be administered like either an injection or a suppository... yeah, I'd take them.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Unless we're talking about a dystopian future where sugar is banned, no. Steroids have side effects, which is why we don't all pop them like smarties and have huge muscles. A brain equivalent would harm health and brain functioning in the long term. My health is important to me, so I wouldn't take something like that.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Maybe. Depends on the specifics. I don't have an ethical objection to things that would make writers write better, because writing is not a sport, and I care more about reading awesome books than who is writing them. Unless it's me, of course.

Although, if it gave me any more plots and characters than my brain already does, I'd be in serious trouble.

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't fry my circuits, I'd try it. No moral dilemma on my part, just a few health concerns.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Or as Hunter S. Thompson would say, LSD.

This is what I have a hard time with in the PED discussion in sports. We have all heard of musicians or writers drinking or using to drugs to enhance their ability to create better art.

Do we enjoy the music or books that they wrote any less because they used LSD or 45 bottles of Jack Daniels to create it? The answer for me is no. Why then do we get up in arms when the same thing happens in sports.

Is not some part of the music industry or the publishing industry competition? There is certainly competition on the bookshelves and advertising on websites. So then wouldn't the people using drugs and alcohol have a possible "advantage" when it comes to these types of things?

To then take it a step further, not all athletes who use PEDs necessarily benefit from them. Look at some of the names on the PED lists; they are not all all-stars. Therefore the PEDs don't help all athletes just like the drugs and alcohol don't help all artists.

Not really sure where I am going with this, but I have been thinking it for a while and figured I'd post it here.

Rant-over.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Provided they weren't prohibitively expensive and I wouldn't be in any danger while acquiring them and they weren't physically addictive and they wouldn't need to be administered like either an injection or a suppository... yeah, I'd take them.

I'd go as far as a suppository.

But I've got the same concerns about health that others have expressed. Is it going to do bad things to me in the long term? Then no. Is occasional use alright? Then I might try it, but I doubt I'd use it regularly. First, because I'd be worried that I'd come to psychologically rely on it and lose my confidence in my natural abilities. Second, because I write to express myself, and what's the point in expressing a not-myself version of me?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I propose right now that all writers should be required to to submit to random drug testing. I mean, its the only way to make sure we all play clean and fair...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Do we enjoy the music or books that they wrote any less because they used LSD or 45 bottles of Jack Daniels to create it? The answer for me is no. Why then do we get up in arms when the same thing happens in sports.

I think it was Medievalist who brought up that many Indo-European cultures have the idiot-poet archetype, that someone who is otherwise deficient in terms of craftsmanship or skill brings forth a surprising ability to conjure things from nothing. This archetype allows the artist to be deficient, excuses their drug abuse and other vagaries, all so that they may work on their art, while denying the same to their hunters, athletes and craftsmen.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No side effects, perfectly safe, highly effective? Sure, why not?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
This is what I have a hard time with in the PED discussion in sports. We have all heard of musicians or writers drinking or using to drugs to enhance their ability to create better art.

Is not some part of the music industry or the publishing industry competition? There is certainly competition on the bookshelves and advertising on websites. So then wouldn't the people using drugs and alcohol have a possible "advantage" when it comes to these types of things?

To then take it a step further, not all athletes who use PEDs necessarily benefit from them. Look at some of the names on the PED lists; they are not all all-stars. Therefore the PEDs don't help all athletes just like the drugs and alcohol don't help all artists.

Not really sure where I am going with this, but I have been thinking it for a while and figured I'd post it here.

Rant-over.

But it's not direct competition in the way sports is. And so far, we don't have drugs that have the same consequences for artists.

Plus, I have yet to see proof that drugs or alcohol provide the same boost to a writer that steroids provide to sports stars.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Depends. Would it have side effects and what would they be? Would it give me a larger cranium? "Oh, man, Ferret's doing 'roids. His hat doesn't fit any more."

If the only problem is that they are illegal, it again depends. Do I know a friend who can get them for me like I used to know friends who's sell me a lid back in the day? Or am I going to have to roam the streets, going to crack houses to get it?

I'd have no qualms about taking it if these above problems, side effects and acquisition, were reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.