weaving in the ends (crochet, but maybe could apply to knitting, too?)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Looking for haaaalp!

It's been many years since I first crocheted and even when I was doing it regularly before, I never really got the hang of weaving in the ends and tails.

Does anyone have advice/preferences on how their way holds up to wear and tear?

I used to weave in (poorly) but the ends always managed to poke out after use/washing. How does crocheting over the ends (while in the middle of a piece) work for you? Any thoughts of one technique holding up better than another?

And has anyone had any experience/luck with Russian joining?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Russian joining but it looks a good technique. I'll have to try it. I normally weave in but it can cause puckering if you're not careful. I'm referring to knitting BTW. For some reason I just cannot crochet.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In crocheting, I don't know anything about "weaving" in the ends. I go to the "wrong" side of the piece (if there is one), and I pull the ends through a loop and knot it tightly, then pull it through another loop and knot, and repeat until I don't have enough end to tie again and then I snip it off.

If you keep the knotting within the same color (I do multi-color Celtic knotwork afghans) and the knots tight, it takes a sharp eye to see them and they don't feel all that different from the rest of the piece. Even more, I have an afghan that I made in 1997 that's still holding strong (just beginning to pile, actually). There's zero unraveling.

Don't know if that's standard, but it's worked really well for me for a long time.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to crochet over the ends as much as possible. there are knots so it doesn't unravel but I mostly just crochet over them as much as possible. The outside edges I knot then follow the thread path for as long as I'm able to with the tail.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I'd never heard of Russian joining but it looks a good technique. I'll have to try it. I normally weave in but it can cause puckering if you're not careful. I'm referring to knitting BTW. For some reason I just cannot crochet.

I'm that way about knitting. I think it may be due to the fact that I learned to crochet first. It's a plan of mine that once I get my crocheting up to speed and where I'm comfortable again, I'll give knitting another try.

In crocheting, I don't know anything about "weaving" in the ends. I go to the "wrong" side of the piece (if there is one), and I pull the ends through a loop and knot it tightly, then pull it through another loop and knot, and repeat until I don't have enough end to tie again and then I snip it off.

If you keep the knotting within the same color (I do multi-color Celtic knotwork afghans) and the knots tight, it takes a sharp eye to see them and they don't feel all that different from the rest of the piece. Even more, I have an afghan that I made in 1997 that's still holding strong (just beginning to pile, actually). There's zero unraveling.

Don't know if that's standard, but it's worked really well for me for a long time.

I try to knot when I can but I'm seized with the sudden fear of 'what if it shows? what if people can look at what I'm doing and cluck their tongues that I'm such a rank amateur?' Which...I don't know if it's a sign of a 'rank amateur' and I don't think it is, it's just not what I'm reading lately so I end up with analysis paralysis and trying to figure out how the 'pros' do it. :/

I tend to crochet over the ends as much as possible. there are knots so it doesn't unravel but I mostly just crochet over them as much as possible. The outside edges I knot then follow the thread path for as long as I'm able to with the tail.

That's usually what I end up doing but then I (stupidly?) started reading blogs and how-tos and they were carrying on about how to weave in the ends and I was suddenly struck with the feeling of OMG I'M DOIN IT RONG.

I suppose why I ask is that one day I'd like to be able to sell the stuff I do and so I'd like to make sure that my ends down end up fraying out and poking through after such short use. I'd like them to last a while, you know?