Wrote a story, need Agent.

Meg10903

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum (the site was recommended by author Beth Bernobich). I had written a short story that was entered into a contest. It had won second place. And now, because of the way it is written, it is perfect for a children's illustrated book. However, I lack money to fund the publishing and such. And I do not any illustrations, or anyone to do illustrations.

So, I was hoping someone could help me. I have written stories for school, and a few for my own entertainment, as well as a number of poems. But getting this published would be my first goal.

Like I said, I lack funds to do anything. So, if some one could please help me.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the story, as a computer document is three pages. It was written for an anti-discrimination contest. Which is one reason why it would be a great story for kids. But it isn't preachy. In fact it is very colorful with how different things are described. With this, you could say, even the illustrations are already written.

Last edited:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
You can research agents who represent picture books at places like querytracker dot net, or agentquery dot com.

When you've reached 50 posts here, you can post your query for critiquing to help to get it into good shape.

Welcome to AW!

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Very few agents represent picturebooks, and very few picturebooks are agented. It's pretty much the norm with picturebooks for writers to submit directly to publishers. Just research any publisher you're thinking of submitting to to ensure they're reputable. You can check for listings in the Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Check subforum.

One problem, though, is what you said about everything being described. Picturebook manuscripts need to leave 'gaps' that are filled in by the illustrations. A short story isn't a picturebook manuscript isn't a short story. A picturebook needs both words and illustrations to complete the story; if the words do the entire job, it won't work as a picturebook.

I would suggest that you research picturebooks, especially by reading many many of them, to see how the words and pictures work together. Go to your local library and sit in the children's section reading and analysing lots of picturebooks, then go home and analyse yours to see what you need to do to turn your short story into a picturebook manuscript.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You've been given good advice so far but I've got a bit more for you.

If you self publish you'll need to pay for everything, and find your own illustrator. But if you work with a trade publisher they'll pay you: you don't have to pay for a thing; and they'll find the illustrator, too.

Beware of companies which offer self publishing services: they're usually vanity publishers which have repackaged themselves to take advantage of the rise in self publishing successes. They rarely offer value for money, or lead to any real publishing success.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum (the site was recommended by author Beth Bernobich).

Like I said, I lack funds to do anything. So, if some one could please help me.

You don't need to funds for anything. Anyone who tells you you do is a scammer.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To give it the best shot, I'd start by reading a couple of "how to write children's books or picture books" books.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Also, read through our Writing for Kids forum, which includes sticky threads on how to write and submit picture books.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Hi, Meg. I'm glad to see you made it here. Everyone has given you great advice. I'd also urge you to read the links I sent to you earlier.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Start with the stickies in Children's. Move on to the SCBWI and underdown.org. These websites contain everything you need to know about writing for children and how the industry works. Also read picture books and magazines for kids in the intended age group. It could be you have a magazine story.

Keep in mind that this is a business. Good luck.