Amanda Knox, Double Jeopardy and the U.S. Policy on Extradition

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to write an article about Amanda Knox and whether she could be extradited if she is re-convicted in Italy in her 3rd trial concerning the death of Meredith Kercher. Where can I talk to a lawyer about double jeopardy and the effect this U.S. law has on her possible extradition in the future? FWIW, I hope she is not re-convicted and not extradited, but that's really irrelevant.

Thanks.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Call your local law school and ask to speak to the criminal law professors.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What the squirrel said, though I don't know why U.S. law would have any effect at all. It's an Italian court.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
The US doesn't have to extradite if doing so would violate US law, such as double jeopardy. This is why many countries won't extradite to us in capital punishment cases. Their law prohibits capital punishment, therefore they can't extradite to the US.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
From Iron Mike's overview of the treaty:

Article 5 provides that extradition shall be denied when the offense for which extradition is requested is a political or military offense. Article 6 provides that extradition shall be denied when the person sought has been in jeopardy in the requested State for the same offense. Article 8 provides that extradition shall be denied where the requesting State's statute of limitation bars prosecution or enforcement of the penalty. Article 9 provides that extradition shall be denied when the offense is punishable by death in the requesting, but not the requested, State, unless satisfactory assurances are received that the death penalty, if imposed, will not be carried out.
This is not the complete language of the treaty.

Article 6 is the double jeopardy clause. It is unlikely that the prosecutor could have appealed the Amanda Knox case in the United States. Hence under US law, Amanda Knox would be placed under jeopardy twice for the same offense. But the issue is in the details, and a bunch of lawyers are going to spend a lot of time arguing this out.

Article 9 is the death penalty clause.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I was under the impression, from research I did this morning, that actually, because Amanda Knox was acquitted during an appeals process, that this doesn't mean double jeopardy applies.

“America's extradition treaty with Italy prohibits the U.S. from extraditing someone who has been ‘acquitted,’ which under American law generally means acquitted by a jury at trial,” Dershowitz says. “But Ms. Knox was acquitted by an appeals court after having been found guilty at trial. So would her circumstance constitute double jeopardy under American law?”
The answer is uncertain, Dershowitz says. In the United States, appeals courts don’t retry cases and acquit defendants. Knox’s Italian lawyer has said the appellate acquittal doesn’t constitute double jeopardy under Italian law because it wasn’t a final judgment.

Source:
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/would_double_jeopardy_claim_bar_amanda_knoxs_extradition/

Another article I read this morning corroborated what the above link states. It basically says that double jeopardy in this case is murky and it's not certain whether it would apply.

I've decided to read Knox's book and review that, since it seems unlikely that I would get a definitive answer even if I did talk to a law school about this. Thanks for all the replies.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
As I said, a lot of lawyers are going to spend a lot of time arguing this. There is no definitive answer, and until a US court rules, there won't be.

Reason for suggesting a law school professor is they keep up with this sort of stuff. But no one can give you a definitive answer.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the whole "international politics" side. Remember a treaty is only good as long as both sides play along... it's not set in stone.

I'm sorry that I can't find this article, but I remember reading some time ago that there was an unrelated case in which a woman (a US-Italian dual citizen) had been convicted of a crime in Italy, got out on probation, and came to the US. I don't remember the crime, but the evidence against her was weak at best, and the State department agreed to extradite her on the condition that she be given only probation, not sent to jail. Once she got to Italy, the government uncrossed their fingers and sent her to jail. So (from what I read), they said there was a chance the US government would refuse to extradite Knox because the Italian government had not kept their earlier promises.

JCD is right- you are probably best off to contact a professor/lawyer specializing in criminal or international law.