Agent is MIA, Please Advise

colonelmustard

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

I signed with an agent last year. He's a senior agent with a very reputable agency.

I knew right away he wasn't the nurturing, hand holding type but that suits my own needs just fine.

He was, however, very enthusiastic during the initial process of revisions etc. He was on top of the ball in terms of communicating when I sent an e-mail about something.

We went out on submission at the beginning of January. It was understood between us that it would be a small initial round of editors to kind of test the waters. It turns out the waters weren't so receptive because the rejections came fast and furious.
Since we've gone out on submission, I have had to reach out through e-mail to see how everything is going every few months.
I last e-mailed at the end of April and the resulting e-mail was two lines about how we were still waiting on those two editors.
Since then there's been dead silence. I didn't e-mail because I felt that he would let me know what the game plan was and where we were going from here. I was sure that I would hear something from him at some point during the summer.

But the weeks have gone by and I've gotten more and more frustrated and there's been absolutely nothing from his end. I know that publishing is a slow business etc. etc. and I know that different agents have different styles, but am I wrong to feel that it's a red flag when you go out on submission and after a round of rejections, your agent goes silent? For seven months?

If the editors haven't given any answer in seven months, isn't it time for the agent to check in with them or to take it is a no and to move on?

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but not to the point where I become a total pushover.

Any opinions or ideas on the situation or how to deal with it?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Email him. Ask him to give you a list of everyone he's submitted your book to--you want the names of specific editors as well as the names of the publishers--and copies of their responses; and ask him what he's planning on doing next.

Let him know that while you don't expect him to be in contact with you every other day, you are a bit concerned that nothing seems to be happening now.

Be brief and business-like, and polite, of course; and see what he says in reply.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Email your agent and ask for a phone call to discuss your career plans from here forward. This would be a chance for you to talk about how things are going as well as what you have been working on and learn if it is something he might like to review. It would be your chance to talk more about further strategy for your current submission.

Right now, I'm not seeing a huge red flag because you emailed in April and got a response (though short) telling you that you were waiting on those two editors. He probably still is waiting on those two editors, honestly. If you want further discussion with him, you need to be the one to initiate it. My own agent has said that she's not a mind reader and cannot necessarily know what a client is stressing over, especially if it's over something like communication style. Don't be a pest (which you don't sound like you are), but don't be afraid to reach out either. Your agent works for you, so if you want to discuss submissions and career planning, you are the one who should bring it up. Just send an email to check in with him and ask for a phone call if you want one.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Why should an author have to ask his agent time and again what's going on with his/her book? It's a simple task for an agent to bcc. a client any time a query/submission is made and/or cc. a respone given, including a request for a full. In the case of a hard copy query/submission with a covering letter, the author should receive an attachment of the letter, which should be saved on the agent's documents file. We keep a computer folder for each client and a spread sheet for every author, including multiple manuscripts. We can instantly access any activity on the manuscript and relay it by email to the author.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You're allowed to call him. You're on the team now.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Why should an author have to ask his agent time and again what's going on with his/her book? It's a simple task for an agent to bcc. a client any time a query/submission is made and/or cc. a respone given, including a request for a full. In the case of a hard copy query/submission with a covering letter, the author should receive an attachment of the letter, which should be saved on the agent's documents file. We keep a computer folder for each client and a spread sheet for every author, including multiple manuscripts. We can instantly access any activity on the manuscript and relay it by email to the author.

Donna, I agree absolutely with your sentiments here: but I don't think the OP has been asking his agent "time and again" what's happening: he sent an email in April but only got a two-line response, and hasn't emailed since.

It's surprising how many writers have concerns but don't talk to their agent.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Agents who are well known in the industry tend to communicate more by phone than in writing. I've heard from multiple agents that they listen for nuances in the voice of editors--excitement, evasion, disinterest. It's hard to attach that to an email.

While it would be lovely if every correspondence that was sent to an editor was copied to the author, the truth is that agents and editors are just as likely to discuss the author as the book, which the author probably wouldn't want to see. Will the author be willing to edit heavily? Does the author appear to write quickly enough for a multi-book contract? Is the author publicity-shy? Etc., etc.

Yes, agents are an author's advocate, but they're also in the business of keeping the machine moving. For the OP's question, if the rejections were specific about an aspect of the book, he might be working with the remaining editors to work those issues before a full rejection. Again, not something an agent would want the author to see.

Think about it like a family company that's hired someone new from out of town. Will the new kid be discussed at the water cooler or at after-hours drinks? Damned skippy. It's not a bad thing. A "So? What do you think of her?" will hopefully be met with a "I like her! Great book, great potential for more."

As far as the last response being in April, that's pretty common. The industry works in "seasons." Four per year, March-May, June-August, Sept-Nov, and Dec-Feb. So, in NY-ese, an editor not responding to an agent on new offerings but once a season isn't at all odd. It's not until they're filling slots for the next season that they might read slush (yes, agent submissions are still slush to publishers, just vetted slush.) Four seasons is too long. Three is about normal.

Plus, summer in NY at most pubs and agencies means mandated "summer hours" where shorter days are worked to conserve power in the buildings. It's also the time of staff vacations and family obligations. In other words, the slow time.

I wouldn't get too excited about a lack of response during the summer. It's really pretty normal. Once September rolls around, if you still haven't heard--then drop a line. :)

JMHO, as always. But I wouldn't be concerned in this scenario.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The author is entitled to know what, and how much, activity the agent is giving the manuscript. Also, there are a few editors out there who will give the agent an honest critique. If I feel that it's helpful, I'll forward it to the author. This has resulted in sales, after the author made the adjustments, often right to the editor who made the critique. I haven't received any critiques so hurtful that I held them back from the author. If that ever happens, I would have to re-assess my own judgment of the manuscript.

colonelmustard

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to read and respond so thoughtfully.​

I think that they say to follow your gut instinct for a reason and my gut is telling me that he's probably not so keen as he once was and hence the freeze out. I think that no matter how slow publishing is, going seven months without communicating once to your client just what's happening unless they reach out, and even then giving them the bare minimum without an idea of what's ahead or what to expect or what not to expect etc. just isn't right.​

I understand that it's business etc., but I think that as an agent you can't help but know the agony and anguish of the author who's left out in the cold on something that they've poured their blood and guts into.
And that knowing that, even if you're not feeling it---the book, the person, the whole effort--- you would respect the author enough to just tell them that. A couple of lines and it's a clean break.​

I suppose I'll have to chalk this one up to experience, that damn bastard.​

Thanks again, all. You guys are fantastic.​

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, "a couple of lines and it's a clean break." But, I'm sure many of us have gone months without hearing from an agent unless we initiated contact. When you need worry is when you initiate contact and you don't hear back. Agents aren't mind-readers; I'm sure yours has no idea that you're taking his silence as disinterest and a lack of commitment to your project.

I've been in your shoes but have always given the agent an opportunity to explain--even when I'm certain I'm all but dumped. My presumptions were never correct. There were times when, upon conversing about the matter, it became clear that we weren't a good match for moving forward. Other times it was agreed that we needed to do a better job communicating--me, owning up to my insecurities and asking for attention; he, doing a better job keeping in informed where things stand.

It's a slow business and an agent with 50-100 (or more) clients often can only deal with what's simmering right in front of him. If there's nothing new to say, they don't have the time to say, "There's nothing new to say." But often, if prompted, they will say so.

It's certainly your call, but beware of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Dropping an agent should be well considered, and done with the understanding it could take some time to find another (and it might need to be with a different project than the one on your current agent's desk). Best of luck.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Theres nothing to stop you from seeking another agent, even without notifying the old one. If you get an offer of representation from the second agent, send the first one a notification and be done with him. Authors often have manuscripts out with multiple agents. Is this the only guy who has your manuscript?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Theres nothing to stop you from seeking another agent, even without notifying the old one. If you get an offer of representation from the second agent, send the first one a notification and be done with him. Authors often have manuscripts out with multiple agents. Is this the only guy who has your manuscript?

I would not do this.

The OP needs to read his agent/author contract and see what the procedure is for terminating the relationship (if he wants to do that).

Once the relationship is terminated, he can look for an agent.

Coupland

Registered
Reaction score
I think Cathy C's response was a good one and a lot of writers would do well to heed it. It may seem strange but there are times when people email and you just don't have a moment to reply right away and then other stuff comes along and the moment's gone. If you think this is unprofessional then ask yourself have YOU ever not replied to an email which the sender might assume would be worthy of a response? Also imagine how it would be to receive hundreds of emails every day to your account and have a life outside of work.

That said, it is horrible when an agent goes MIA. But I am sure it happens to most new writers from time to time and it's certainly happened to me. It's about trust really. My agent is reading a new manuscript of mine and he's had it a month now with no word. I know that because he hasn't replied he hasn't had time to finish or perhaps even start it yet, but he will. It might take another month or more, I have no idea. In the meantime I am working on something else. There isn't really any rush, is there?

A good example of what a day in an agents life is like here: http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/day-in-life.html and here http://www.stylist.co.uk/stylist-ne...-furniss-md-of-literary-agency-furniss-lawton

If I were you I'd send them a friendly note / call and see what's been going on. Let us know how it goes (so many of these threads go quiet after the initial ideas)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

I think this is very bad advice.

The relationship between an agent and a writer has to be based on trust and respect. Looking for a new agent before you ditch your old one is sleazy: it's like looking for a new husband before you get rid of the old one.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score

Authors usually have manuscripts out with multiple agents when they're looking for an agent--not when they already have one.

I am friends/more than acquaintances with a handful of agents. Those that I know wouldn't entertain a conversation with, let alone consider a manuscript from a currently agented author who has not let their agent know they are unhappy/looking or cut off the relationship. I know, because I talked with a couple about my unhappiness in one situation. As a friend, they listened and offered "friendly advice" (which was primarily don't make any decisions/moves without telling my agent what I was thinking). They wouldn't look at a manuscript or talk about representation until I was no longer represented by my agent.

And, like OH's analogy, an agent is very likely to think, if you did it to the last one, why wouldn't you do the same to me? That's not the kind of relationship most people enter into knowingly.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure any agency's contract would prohibit this? No?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you need to be careful and have a clear understanding of the contract and the terms with your agent. There could be all sorts of legal problems if the two agents are fighting about the book. I wouldn't advise that either.

But I do think not hearing from your agent for 7 months is a big red flag. Whether your agent is reputable or not, clearly he's not interested in pushing the book. He might even be waiting to hear from the last remaining editors and perhaps even cut you loose after that.

But if you haven't emailed him either, then that might show lack of interest on your part too. I would most definitely read over your contract and see what the termination clauses are. He might even push it along and respond, telling you what you need to know about the submissions and just let you go from there.

Communication is key. Talk to him first before anything. And assuming your contract is only year to year, if you never hear back over numerous email and phone attempts, you should be free to seek representation elsewhere after the contract has expired.

Good luck to you. It sucks, I know. Been there, done that. Don't wanna do it again. And after this is all said and done, look at it as a learning experience.

Last edited:

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My bad. I failed to see that col.mustard had Signed with an agent. In that case, there should be a clause in his contract that describes how to disolve the agreement. Once that's done, it's okay to seek others. I still think agents should keep their clients up to date, all the time.