PDA

View Full Version : NFL - 2013 season

Pages : [1] 2

mirandashell
08-11-2013, 01:22 PM
So, everyone looking forward to another year?

How's pre-season going?

Maze Runner
08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
My Steelers lost to the Giants yesterday. Steelers looked sloppy, even for a preseason game. Blocked punt, dropped punt, back up QB running into a back up RB, resulting in a safety. DB's Gay and Polamalu got their signals crossed on one coverage which led to a 60 yd TD connection between Manning and Victor Cruz. All in all, they looked like the Keystone Kops out there.

James Harrison, our star LB gone to CIncy. Our speedy WR, Mike Wallace gone to Miami. BUT a mighty mouse of a 5'7" RB we acquired got from the Cardinals looked good in the first quarter - LaRod Stephens Howling.

mirandashell
08-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Those last 3 words are his name? Hmmm ok.

So your boys are carrying on from last year?

Maze Runner
08-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Yes, LaRod Stephens-Howling, been with the Cards since '09, played his college ball at University of Pittsburgh, grew up just due east of Pgh in Johnstown PA, and showed a real nice vision when he carried the ball yesterday.

Pretty sure your Bears lost their opener (preseason opener that is) to the Panthers...

mirandashell
08-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Yeah.... same old shit as last year by the look of the report.

reiver33
08-12-2013, 02:02 AM
I'm a Jets fan - we boo our own QB in practice

thothguard51
08-12-2013, 02:52 AM
My Redskins are sitting RG3 during the preseason so we won't get to see RG3 during the preseason, and maybe not even for the 1st game. They are taking their time with bringing him back from his injury, even though he has been cleared to play full contact...

The backup QB, Kirk Cousins, could be a starter on many NFL teams so Shannahan is looking like a genius for drafting two quarterbacks last year. He played well during his two series in the first preseason game.

The fourth QB, Pat White, hasn't played a down since 2009 and while he looked nervous in the preseason game, he looked a lot better than Sexy Rexy. White showed he still has the smarts and the ability to make it, at least as a backup QB...

Redskins defense is still looking shaky...

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm a Jets fan - we boo our own QB in practice

You've got the only QB that deserves it......

reiver33
08-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Ouch, Miranda! And I say again, ouch!

Sanchez is getting off lightly - it has been known for players on the side line, during a regular season game, to keep their helmets on as the fans were pelting them with batteries...

The Jets, where the plan starts with 'B'...

angeliz2k
09-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Didn't watch much preseason. I just can't bring myself to care a lot when it's mostly second-stringers. I was pleased with what I saw of the Redskins and Ravens, the teams I root for.

And am I pleased for the season to start? YES. Go Ravens! Go Redskins!

BTW, I love Flacco because he went to the University of Delaware (Dela-where?); my parents both attended the U of D, and I grew up fifteen minutes away from it. I also love Torrey Smith because he was a star at Maryland while I was an undergrad there.

Shadow Dragon
09-05-2013, 11:44 PM
So, in about four hours and some change, we'll be getting the first game of the season: Ravens vs Broncos! A rematch of one of the best playoff games in recent history. Broncos are coming in with a banged up offensive line and without their top pass rushers from last season.

I'm a bit biased, but I'm going to pick the Ravens to win.

mirandashell
09-05-2013, 11:47 PM
I can't wait til Sunday.

Although for some reason we aren't getting the first Monday night game. We have to wait until the second.

William Haskins
09-06-2013, 05:09 AM
i'm a raiders fan, and they are picked by generally everyone as among the worst in the league. will probably be a long year, but what can you do...

grizzletoad1
09-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Giants all the way. Get to be the first team to play in a Super Bowl in their own home stadium! I think the money is going to be Giants-Broncos. Manning vs. Manning. In a driving snowstorm (Farmer's Almanac is calling for a major snow storm about the time the game will be played!) Ha! Perchance to dream! (I think someone used that line once!)

Lavern08
09-06-2013, 07:42 PM
So, in about four hours and some change, we'll be getting the first game of the season: Ravens vs Broncos! A rematch of one of the best playoff games in recent history.

I fell asleep while waiting (and waiting) for the game to start - (Go ahead and laugh at the 60 year-old woman who can't stay awake past 9 PM) :tongue

... But 7 touchdowns, Peyton?

DANG!

mirandashell
09-06-2013, 07:55 PM
The drop-six was pretty funny though!

thothguard51
09-06-2013, 09:17 PM
I rooted for the Ravens, but I will give Denver their due. They played very well in the second half.

The NFC east has two important games right out of the gate. Cowboys vs Giant on Sunday night, and the Redskins vs Eagles Monday night. I can't decide who is going to take the Cowboy Giant game. As far as the Skins vs Eagles, unsure about the new coach and his hurry up offense. I feel confident the Skins will take the Eagles, but unsure if it will be big or by a narrow score...

Lavern08
09-06-2013, 10:53 PM
... As far as the Skins vs Eagles, unsure about the new coach and his hurry up offense. I feel confident the Skins will take the Eagles, but unsure if it will be big or by a narrow score.

As long as the Skins win, it'll be fine with me...

My Hubby is so excited, I think I'm gonna have to hose him down this weekend until Monday gets here. :D

Shadow Dragon
09-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah, that game got ugly fast in the second half for the Ravens. I swear that losing Pitta to injury is going to hit the Ravens harder than Boldin being traded. Clark and Dickson would catch a damn thing (Clark freaking dropped a touchdown pass). The only bright spots for the Ravens was the play of undrafted receiver Brown, and Webb having a good first game back from tearing his ACL.

With the way their secondary played, I think the Ravens do need to go ahead and put Matt Elam, their first round pick, in as starter in one of the safety position. I think he could easily outplay Huff or the other safety.

Now, I'm just hoping Jones and Oher's injuries aren't serious.

ElaineA
09-07-2013, 11:31 PM
I can't wait til Sunday.

Although for some reason we aren't getting the first Monday night game. We have to wait until the second.

Miranda, I don't know if you get the Sunday night games but if so, the Sept 15th game is NOT to be missed. San Fran coming to the loudest stadium in the NFL (Seattle) for a game between intense rivals. GO HAWKS!

i'm a raiders fan, and they are picked by generally everyone as among the worst in the league. will probably be a long year, but what can you do...

I miss the competitive Raiders. We had great fun when Seattle was in the AFC west. The Raiders looked at us as peons but we hated them with such intensity...ah, the good ol' days. (I hope Tyrrelle Pryor can survive behind that O-Line. He's a legit player.)

mirandashell
09-07-2013, 11:57 PM
I *love* Seattle home games! So loud.

I remember last year when you couldn't hear wassa-face when she walked more than 3 steps from the mike.

And it slaughtered Kapernick last year.

Which station is it on? We only get NBC on a Sunday.

mirandashell
09-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I just checked and that will be our game! Fantastic!

ElaineA
09-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Plus, it's Seattle's opening home game--it's gonna be nuts. Glad you'll get to see it. :D My ears rang for hours after the Green Bay game last year. I think this one will be even worse. Considering ear plugs but it seems somehow wrong...

Shadow Dragon
09-08-2013, 02:35 AM
Looks like Jacoby Jones will be out 4-6 weeks. Damn. I think he is replaceable on the offense with the two rookie recievers the Ravens have (Brown, who had some big catches against Denver, and Mallete, who played very well in the preseason), but it's going to really hurt the Ravens' special teams.

mirandashell
09-08-2013, 05:02 PM
For some unknown reason, Channel Four here have started showing Hard Knocks - a series about the Cincinatti Bengals training camp and pre-season games from this year (I think). And they are showing it at 7am on a Sunday.... no, me neither! We only spotted it cos OH was awake at 5am and had a mooch through the EPG!

mirandashell
09-09-2013, 12:07 AM
:snoopy:

Shadow Dragon
09-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Welp, Ravens dodged a bit of a bullet since the other AFCN teams couldn't win their opener either. Also, even though they lost, I gotta give the Bills tons of credit for playing as well as they did. They didn't win but damn they were impressive. They may have finally found their quarterback.

mirandashell
09-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Lordy me, the Jets won one!

alleycat
09-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Titans 16, Steelers 9.

I would have expected just the reverse, especially since they were playing in Pittsburgh.

Orangetober
09-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Titans 16, Steelers 9.

I would have expected just the reverse, especially since they were playing in Pittsburgh.

Two season-ending injuries to key players in the opening game? I do not envy Pittsburgh.

It was a pretty back and forth game in San Francisco vs. the Packers but I'm glad the better (re: my) team was able to finish it!

mirandashell
09-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Just watched the Cowboys v Giants and all I can say is:

:Wha:

How did the Giants get within 5 of winning it? They played like donkeys the whole game!

Gilroy Cullen
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
*hangs head in shame at Redskins loss.*

RGIII was so rusty you could see the extra flakes on the field in the first half...

Haggis
09-10-2013, 04:16 PM
The Lions won their opener. Apocalypse in 5...4...3...2....

mirandashell
09-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I give thanks to the Lions. They beat the Vikings. Now the Bears just beat the Vikings and the Lions and my season is almost complete....

Lavern08
09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
RGIII was so rusty you could see the extra flakes on the field in the first half...

Word. :(

mirandashell
09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
The fight between Staley and Morris... the NFL have come out and said Staley shouldn't have been flagged. But did they ask the ref what was said by Staley to Morris? Foul and abusive language can count as UC, can't it?

Shadow Dragon
09-11-2013, 12:32 AM
It seems like Reggie Bush might finally live up to his original hype with the Lions. 90 rushing yards and 101 receiving yards.

PandaMan
09-11-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm a big Broncos fan so am happy with their win. Doesn't take the sting away from last year's playoff game though. They might have looked pretty impressive in that second half but I think they really have issues with their running game. I think it will bite them hard sometime later in the season.

mirandashell
09-12-2013, 12:26 AM
I need help, please. My Googlefu has gone for a few beers and a game so...

Seattle Seahawks - what's their win record home and away? I have the impression that they win a lot more at home than away but some stats would be good.

ElaineA
09-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Miranda, we were undefeated at home last year (8-0) and 11-5 overall, so 3-5 away from home. We do have difficulty with the cross-county travel and then having to play in what is the morning, our time, but there seems to be a change afoot there. OTOH, we play several away games against last-year's playoff teams. We shall see...

mirandashell
09-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Shows how much difference number 12 makes!

Thanks Elaine.

Shadow Dragon
09-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Man, when it rains it pours. Ravens rookie receiver, Mellete who showed great potential during the preseason is now on injured reserved. The Ravens are down to four active receivers for the next month or so. Lord knows they aren't going to get help from the Ravens' backup tightends. Injuries are decimating the offense.

However, there might be one bright spot in this that can help right the ship, undrafted rookie receiver Brown. He showed chemistry with Flacco in the preseason and had some great catches in that Denver game. Welp, during this season, he's going to get a trial by fire and we'll see if the Ravens struck gold with him.

mirandashell
09-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Laverne, what the feck has happened to the Skins D line?

ElaineA
09-15-2013, 06:50 PM
The problem with having my team playing in a high profile Sunday Night game is that I'll spend all day with a nervous stomach. I'm having to rely on the Redskins-Packers, then the Manning Bowl to provide adequate distraction. :D

(And thanking higher powers we don't have the "slow-death-by-injury" situation Baltimore's got. Sorry Shadow Dragon. That su--stinks!)

thothguard51
09-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Skins will bounce back. Maybe not this week against GB, but they will bounce back.

I am not sure Philly though will be able to keep that fast paced, spread offense going more than a couple of games before defensive coordinators find the flaws.

mirandashell
09-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I was hoping they would beat Green Bay so that my boys would be the ones with a winning record but what the hey.....

ElaineA
09-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I am not sure Philly though will be able to keep that fast paced, spread offense going more than a couple of games before defensive coordinators find the flaws.

People have been saying that about Kelly's offense since he started running it at Oregon. No one's found the flaw yet. Unfortunately. (Being a University of Washington alumna.) Defensive players have to have enough oxygen to do anything to stop it, and most just don't.

Shadow Dragon
09-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Man, the Ravens are really struggling to find a rhythm. They badly need somebody (other than Torrey Smith, who's already getting all the defense's attention) to step up.

mirandashell
09-15-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm having one heart attack after another here and I'm only watching the drive chart. God knows what state I'd be in if I watching the game! LOL!

Shadow Dragon
09-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Ravens did what they do best, win ugly. Still no excuse for struggling on offense for the first half. Also, Ray Rice injured, don't know how bad it is yet. I'm not worried about the running game too much since Pierce is possibly the better pure running back, he just doesn't have Rice's versatile nature. Still, not having Rice as an option would hurt the passing game, which is already limping along.

Only real bright spots of the game were rookie receiver Brown, and the pass rush.

mirandashell
09-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Ok, my heart rate is now slowing...... boy I love a game against the Vikings!

WTF is going on with the Skins?

ElaineA
09-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Someone has a team set of Raven's voodoo dolls. Ray Rice now??

Shadow Dragon
09-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Seems it was only a minor injury. He should be fine, thankfully.

thothguard51
09-16-2013, 01:22 AM
The skins are having a lot of problems and no one seems to know the answer. Too many penalties on both sides of the ball. On Defense, poor tackling and players out of position. On offense, I think the opponents know RG3 is not going to run the ball and this has created a problem for the offensive line and the running game.

I also blame the salary cap hit the skins took last year and this year. I bet they go on a shopping spree next year during free agency...

mirandashell
09-16-2013, 01:34 AM
It's the D that's puzzling me. I get why the O might be having problems with RG but the D was good last year, wasn't it?

Lavern08
09-16-2013, 02:22 AM
...I get why the O might be having problems with RG but the D was good last year, wasn't it?

No, not particularly. :(

mirandashell
09-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Ahhh.... don't remember them being this bad though. They did get the occassional tackle in.

Gilroy Cullen
09-16-2013, 06:35 PM
The Skin's D survived last year because of RGIII's running ability. He extended plays, kept the offense on the field. While he did that, the defense rested.

This three and out, no run from RGIII nonsense is killing us. Either take him out until he's 100 percent and play Cousins, or just admit a lost season and start testing all those young players we need to take over Fletcher's position.

thothguard51
09-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Maybe the skins are shooting for a number 1 pick in the draft. Hmmm, might have to loose to the Vikings to get that one though...

Shadow Dragon
09-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Tonight's game should be interesting. Andy Reid leading the surprisingly good Chiefs -- they're already matched their win total from last year -- against his old team who is looking a lot better than they did last year.

mirandashell
09-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow, 5 turnovers!

The website is blaming Michael Vick. Is that correct?

Shadow Dragon
09-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Yes and no. Vick didn't play well, but neither did anyone on their offense. There's plenty of things that can be blamed for the Eagle's offensive struggles in that game.

Gilroy Cullen
09-20-2013, 06:49 PM
That speedy offense is going to be difficult to maintain as the season presses on. College kids have energy to run 50 plays in a half. 30+ yr old, battered, banged up players, not so much.

I suspect Chip starts adjusting things since Philly just dropped to 1-2.

mirandashell
09-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes and no. Vick didn't play well, but neither did anyone on their offense. There's plenty of things that can be blamed for the Eagle's offensive struggles in that game.

I did wonder. But then most of the Eagles' problems are blamed on Vick!

thothguard51
09-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Chip Kelly is going to have to rethink his game plan. It worked against the Redskins because the Redskin defense was sucking big time during the first half. In the second half of that game, the Skins offense came back and almost beat Philly, when Philly should not have let them back in the game.

As to Vick, what can you say. The rap on Vick has always been his interceptions and poor judgement calls. It showed last night...

thothguard51
09-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I might also mention, the NFC is still wide open. While the Giants and Skins are 0-2, they are not out of the picture yet. If nothing else, both those teams can play spoilers...

Shadow Dragon
09-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Right now, I'd say the Saints, Seahawks, and 49ers are the top NFC teams.

Shadow Dragon
09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Another Raven is injured... of-fucking-course.

mirandashell
09-23-2013, 12:30 AM
WTF happened to the Giants?

Shadow Dragon
09-23-2013, 01:31 AM
Their offense has sucked this year, that's what. They scored a bit during the first couple of games but turned the ball over constantly. Now, they can't even do that.

mirandashell
09-23-2013, 01:54 AM
But what's caused the difference from last year?

Shadow Dragon
09-23-2013, 06:41 AM
I haven't the slightest clue what happened to them. They played well enough last year, but suddenly, they suck.

mirandashell
09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I know. I mean ... shut out by the Panthers? The Panthers? :ROFL: Have they turned into the Jets?

mirandashell
09-23-2013, 07:32 PM
:fistpump:e2woo:

Well done my Bears! Had me a little worried in the second half but you did it!

But then again.... we were 10 and 0 last year and look what happened.....

Please no injuries.....please no injuries......please no injuries......

thothguard51
09-23-2013, 08:27 PM
The Bears are looking like Da Bears of old.

The Giants? No fucking clue what is wrong with them. Too many turn overs and poor defense.

And someone needs to bring in a MLB coach to teach RG3 how to slide. He can't do it all by himself, but when he gets the chains moving in the right direction, he can't give up the ball, in scoring position...

Hangs head...

mirandashell
09-23-2013, 08:32 PM
The Giants are just weird. Was there any sign in pre-season that this was gonna happen?

Lasher
09-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Giants struggled all preseason and they lost lost safety Stevie Brown (ACL) and running back Andre Brown (fractured leg).

Shadow Dragon
09-23-2013, 09:45 PM
The Giants also struggled late last season. While they have some good skill position players, they're o-line is playing pretty badly and so is their front seven on defense. They just can't win at the line of scrimmage.

In other news, I'm thrilled that the Ravens have managed to keep winning despite injuries. Their offense is still in disarray but getting better. Flacco and Clark finally seem to be on the same page. Also, the defense hasn't allowed a touchdown since Manning embarrassed them.

The Steeler's are another surprise team this year, but not a good kinda surprise. I expected them to at least be competitive, but they're looking almost as bad as the Giants. Even the Browns got a win before them.

Lasher
09-23-2013, 10:19 PM
The Steeler's are another surprise team this year, but not a good kinda surprise. I expected them to at least be competitive, but they're looking almost as bad as the Giants. Even the Browns got a win before them.

For a Ravens fan this is the way you want the Steelers season to go.

Snowstorm
09-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Arizona Cardinal Rashad Johnson suffered a horrific injury (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1784024-rashad-johnson-injury-updates-on-cardinals-safetys-finger-surgery-return-date?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2). I can't imagine the concentration he had during the game to not have known this. Caution: it's gruesome, so take care if you care to read it. I hope he'll be okay and be able to return to the game.

ElaineA
09-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Arizona Cardinal Rashad Johnson suffered a horrific injury (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1784024-rashad-johnson-injury-updates-on-cardinals-safetys-finger-surgery-return-date?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2). I can't imagine the concentration he had during the game to not have known this. Caution: it's gruesome, so take care if you care to read it. I hope he'll be okay and be able to return to the game.

Yeah, that was stunning to hear about this morning. At first I thought it said he was a receiver. Glad that's not the case, but still. Wow. Just, wow.

mirandashell
09-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Ow. Ouch. Ow ow ow ow.....

ElaineA
09-24-2013, 02:42 AM
Alright Shadow Dragon. This HAS to take the cake for the poor Ravens, doesn't it?

Report: Ravens WR Jacoby Jones injured by stripper in party bus brawl (http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/23/jacoby-jones-brawl-baltimore-ravens/)

Shadow Dragon
09-24-2013, 03:43 AM
Yeah, I saw that. I agree with Harbaugh, nothing good comes after midnight. Though it shouldn't keep Jones out for longing than he's already planned to be, thankfully.

ElaineA
09-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Oh the ignominy...

mirandashell
09-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that was stunning to hear about this morning. At first I thought it said he was a receiver. Glad that's not the case, but still. Wow. Just, wow.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/la-sp-sn-rashad-johnson-finger-twitter-20130924,0,1918928.story

Don't look at this while you're eating.....

mirandashell
09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Alright Shadow Dragon. This HAS to take the cake for the poor Ravens, doesn't it?

Report: Ravens WR Jacoby Jones injured by stripper in party bus brawl (http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/23/jacoby-jones-brawl-baltimore-ravens/)

Hmmm... how about this one?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-lions-burleson-20130924,0,3457468.story

mirandashell
09-25-2013, 08:59 PM
RIP Allan Ellis

ElaineA
09-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Hmmm... how about this one?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-lions-burleson-20130924,0,3457468.story

Nate's from around here so we've heard a lot about this. He's a great guy but snakebit as far as injuries go. This has to top them all. He's frankly lucky he didn't get his head bashed in.

mirandashell
09-29-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm watching the Wembly game and it's very odd. Not used to watching a game on a Sunday. The studio is all wrong. Who is this bloke doing the presenting? And the different commentators.... I'm used to listening to NBC. Not so keen on the CBS ones.

Good game so far though

mirandashell
09-29-2013, 10:18 PM
WTF is going with Da Bears?

mirandashell
09-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Just found this picture of Andy Reid on Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVWNGyhCEAECqAh.png

Shadow Dragon
09-30-2013, 02:20 AM
Man, rough day for the AFC North. Except - funnily enough - the Browns.

mirandashell
09-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Definitely been some weird scores today.

Shadow Dragon
09-30-2013, 08:03 AM
The more I think of that game, the less I blame Flacco. He isn't playing great, but he has no help. I don't know what happened to the Raven's O-line, but they suck at pass blocking and they're worse at run blocking. Maybe it's because of having a new center, or maybe it's because they brought in Juan Castille as an assistant coach (Eagles fans might remember that name). Either way, they need to change something, now.

Plus, the receivers. Torrey Smith is the only legit threat the Ravens have right now, and he played amazing today (10 rec., 166 yards, 2 TDs). Aside from him there's Brown (talented but very rough around the edges undrafted rookie), Stockley (still has sure hands, but don't expect more than six yards a catch from him), Dallas Clark (is playing better but isn't nearly the threat he used to be and isn't half the tight end Pitta is), and it goes very downhill from there. Hell, Rice (the best dual threat since Faulk) can't really help with running out for check down passes since he has to help pass block.

The second Jacoby Jones returns, the passing should improve by a lot, but they have serious issues they need to address. I'd start by simply going back to the blocking scheme they were using in the playoffs.

Shadow Dragon
09-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Correction, Brown and Stockley left with injuries as well. So did another one of their recievers, Thompson. Flacco has to depend on one reciever, and a tight end way past his prime, while often under pressure. No one could do well under that condition.

mirandashell
10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Thoth, do me a favour. Never ever ever mention Da Bears ever again. Ever since you said this:

The Bears are looking like Da Bears of old.

we've played like donkeys.

But at least the Lions also lost this week!

Jersey Chick
10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Giants fans are going to start burning their tickets in effigy again. This team is beyond frustrating. Eli needs to stop chucking the ball as hard as he can, and then hoping like hell someone (preferably someone on his team) catches it. The defense needs to stop giving the opposing QB so much time (it's called a pass rush for a reason, guys,) the offense needs to learn to hold onto the damn ball, and they all need to stop with all the damn penalties. They should have won that damn game yesterday. Argh.

mirandashell
10-07-2013, 05:03 PM
It's really weird though! The team hasn't changed that much since last year.

Jersey Chick
10-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Eli has always done the heave-ho-hope-for-the-best. Between that and his running the play clock to 0:00, he's a very frustrating QB. The defense has shown weakness since the end of last season. I don't know if it's because the offense has mastered the art of 3 and out and they are worn out, or if they're lazy - but something's got to give with them.

mirandashell
10-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Kind of like the Redskins situation then? Where the offense just aren't stepping up now? But it's only been 5 games, the defense shouldn't be that knackered surely?

robeiae
10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Giants fans are going to start burning their tickets in effigy again. This team is beyond frustrating. Eli needs to stop chucking the ball as hard as he can, and then hoping like hell someone (preferably someone on his team) catches it. The defense needs to stop giving the opposing QB so much time (it's called a pass rush for a reason, guys,) the offense needs to learn to hold onto the damn ball, and they all need to stop with all the damn penalties. They should have won that damn game yesterday. Argh.
This is the "Tom Coughlin effect." 2011 was a fluke. He's burned up the talent, just as he did in Jacksonville. He needs to go.

Jersey Chick
10-08-2013, 02:51 AM
You'd have to say that 2007-08 was fluke, too, and I don't think that's the case. But they've had some personnel changes (IMHO, they never should have left Umenyiora go.) and some injuries to key players that are hurting them (Chris Snee, Henry Hynoski.)

They've always been a relatively solid team, but they've also always been a frustrating team. As far as I can remember, I've never relaxed until the clock ran down to 0:00 because they could blow huge lead in thirty seconds or less.

As for this season? Gilbride isn't being aggressive enough, IMHO. They really have nothing to lose at this point, so they should just go all aggressive, like Philadelphia. Try something new. Throw to someone other than Hicks or Cruz because they are always running into double coverage. They need to find someone with more solid hands than Brandon Jacobs (he fumbled because he just. dropped. the. ball. WTF???) Their running game is almost non-existent and they need the depth right now.

Grrr....

robeiae
10-08-2013, 06:14 PM
You'd have to say that 2007-08 was fluke, too, and I don't think that's the case.No I wouldn't. That's five years in to his reign. Look at Jacksonville at year five under Coughlin. He get's a lot out his players, but I think there's a point where he ceases to be effective.

Jersey Chick
10-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

I don't know if it's him or Gilbride - but something's gotta give.

Shadow Dragon
10-09-2013, 08:06 AM
If the Giants go less than five hundred this season, yeah, they will have to think about firing Coughlin. I give him credit for winning super bowls, but this is a what have you done for me lately league, and plenty of teams have had to fire super bowl winning coaches before when they fail to continue winning.

In other news, despite the Raven's offense ranging from bad to mediocre this season, Torrey Smith is second or third in receiving yards. The guy really is turning out to be a steal as a second round pick.

mirandashell
10-09-2013, 10:01 PM
This is interesting:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000259014/article/owners-pass-hard-knocks-rule-at-nfl-fall-meeting

It's the first year we've seen Hard Knocks in the UK. Didn't realise it was such a big thing. I really enjoyed it but forcing teams to do it? How well will that go down? And why would a team not want to do it?

mirandashell
10-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Oh, and my boys have got the Giants tomorrow. Wanna bet it's the start of a miracle comeback?

LOL!

Jersey Chick
10-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Heh, I must live under a rock. I've never heard of this program (maybe because I'm one of about five people who doesn't have HBO?) :)

Ha, I wish it - Big Blue (snort) can't win when they've had a whole week to rest. I doubt short rest is going to help them.

mirandashell
10-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Oh! I kind of assumed everyone in America had HBO!

We used to have HBO programmes like The Wire and stuff. But then they did an exclusivity deal with Spawn of the Devil Sky and we can't see them.

I miss HBO.

Jersey Chick
10-09-2013, 11:27 PM
We have expanded cable, but none of the premium channels :( You should've seen the look on the cable salesguy's face when he tried to get me to continue a trial offer on a more permanent basis by saying, "The new season of the Sopranos is right around the corner," and I answered, "I've never seen the Sopranos so I don't care about the season premier."

You'd have thought I told him I've never seen an indoor toilet. :)

mirandashell
10-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Never seen the Sopranos?!

:e2thud:

mirandashell
10-09-2013, 11:40 PM
But then again.... you are from Jersey. For you it would be like watching your neighbours......

:D

Jersey Chick
10-09-2013, 11:51 PM
LOL! Not quite. I'm from the central part of the state. More farmland less mobsters. :)

I've never seen one episode of the Sopranos. I would like to see 'Boardwalk Empire,' though. Neither the hubs nor I can justify the cost since we can't just get HBO. We'd have to get a bundle of channels, the bulk of which we have no use for and won't watch.

Shadow Dragon
10-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Damn. Eli's already thrown two pics. Looks like the Giants will be 0-6 if they keep playing like this.

Jersey Chick
10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Warning - foul language rant ahead...

0-and-6.

0-and-6

0 and fucking SIX!!!!!

GAH!

15 interceptions?!?!?!

Ass clowns!!!!!

ARGH!!!!

/rant

whew... I feel better.

mirandashell
10-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Ermmmm.... is it safe for me to come in?

Jersey Chick
10-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Oh yes. I've vented. Everyone's safe for the next week or so... :)

mirandashell
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Ok... I'll just remove my Bears jersey.

And my Bears hat.

And these party poppers.

There you go.

Gilroy Cullen
10-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I predict Shanahan won't survive the season. Either of them...

robjvargas
10-11-2013, 11:50 PM
There are rumors (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/Adrian-Petersons-Son-In-Critical-Condition-Grandfather-Says-227413031.html) that Adrian Peterson missed Vikings practice due to personal reasons.

His father, Nelson Peterson, told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that one of Peterson's sons was in critical condition in a hospital in South Dakota.

I hope not. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. If so, however, all my warmest wishes and best hopes to Adrian Peterson and his family.

mirandashell
10-11-2013, 11:53 PM
I saw that news. It seems that one of his family, Joseph Robert Patterson, caused head injuries to Adrian's 2 year old child.

From the NFL website:

a 2-year-old child is in critical condition after sustaining head injuries that appeared to be consistent with abuse. Joseph Robert Patterson, 27, was charged with aggravated assault and aggravated battery of an infant, Clemens said. Clemens said Patterson was in a relationship with the child's mother.

I find this a little confusing but I'm guessing that AP is the father but not with the mother?

ETA: he's not a member of the family. He's the mother's new boyfriend.

Jersey Chick
10-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm hearing it was the mother's boyfriend who they suspect abused the baby so I'm guessing the mother and Peterson aren't together. Poor baby, I hope he's okay. :(

Shadow Dragon
10-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Wow, that's horrible. Hope the baby will be ok.

Snowstorm
10-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Peterson's little boy died (http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/adrian-peterson-son-alleged-assault/index.html?hpt=hp_t2). I wish peace on the family.

Shadow Dragon
10-13-2013, 02:48 AM
Damn, that's horrible. I hope he manages to find some peace of mind eventually after something like that.

Picks for tomorrow:
Ravens over the Packers
Bengals over the Bills
Lions over the Browns
Rams over the Texans in an upset
Chiefs over the Raiders
Vikings over the Panthers
Jets over the Steelers
Eagles over the Buccaneers
Broncos over the Jags
Seahawks over the Titans
Saints over the Patriots
49ers over the Cardinals
Cowboys over the Redskins

And for Monday:
Colts beat the Chargers.

Shadow Dragon
10-15-2013, 04:36 AM
We all know football is a hazardous game. But that doesn’t apply to just the players. And they aren’t the only ones who play through pain.

During the third quarter of Sunday’s game, wide receiver Tandon Dosshttp://www.baltimoreravens.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster/tandon-doss/7a31fc1a-1770-4580-b6de-b5f59d773d59/) tried to haul in a pass on the edge of the end zone. As he rolled out of bounds on the incompletion (he didn’t get his second foot down), Doss plowed into Ravens Team Photographer Phil Hoffmann.

The hit snapped his monopod. It also tore Hoffmann’s Achilles tendon.

“My initial reaction was, honest to God, that I hope my camera was OK,” said Hoffmann, who has been shooting for the Ravens since the franchise’s inception in 1996 and is also the official photographer for Navy athletics.

“It was, and I thought I was OK. Then I couldn’t put any weight on my foot. I reached down and felt something, and thought I broke my leg. Obviously it wasn’t a broken bone. It was the [rolled up] tendon.”
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/The-Caw-Team-Photographer-Tears-Achilles-Keeps-Shooting/aad19675-74e5-4762-bbe4-5353d7ae7e79

And the guy kept shooting. Tough as hell photographer.

Shadow Dragon
10-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Picks for today's games:
Falcons beat Buccaneers
Rams beat the Panthers
Bengals beat the Lions
Chargers beat the Jags (I wouldn't be surprised of the Jags go 0-16)
Bills beat the Dolphins
Jets beat the Patriots (might as well try calling for one upset)
Eagles beat the Cowboys
Bears beat the Redskins
Titans beat the 49ers
Packers beat the Browns
Cheifs beat the Texans
Ravens beat the Steelers
Colts beat the Broncos

Jersey Chick
10-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Good call on the Jets/Pats game, although the Jets owe the refs a big thank you. That was a bs penalty that ended up costing the Pats. I hate the Patriots, but I hate seeing a game lost because of a stupid call by a ref. :)

Shadow Dragon
10-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Heh, managed to call the Broncos losing their first game of the year also. Man, the Colts are looking good so far this year. They've already beaten a couple teams people think could go to the Superbowl.

mirandashell
10-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Hello all!

I'm off to Wembley tomorrow to watch Niners v Jags. Really not sure what to expect. It should be a Niners walkover, no?

mirandashell
10-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Well I made it home eventually!

That was my first live game and I loved it. Could have done with a more competitive game to watch but it was interesting being there. Saw all the stuff that goes on between drives and in timeouts that we don't see on TV. And the atmosphere was great. Just being with 85.5k people all watching the same thing. Good stuff.

thothguard51
10-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I enjoy going to the stadiums, but only if the weather is tolerable.

Last year, watching the Skins at Fed Ex was fun because I did not know what to expect from the team and was thrilled to watch RGIII. This year, not so much...

Gilroy Cullen
10-28-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking the Skins took a cue from the Terps on Saturday. They made the game competitive for three quarters, then collapsed during the fourth.

Sigh.

(I had a terrible sports weekend... Caps lost, Terps lost, and the Skins lost. Only the Ravens didn't disappoint, cause they didn't play.)

mirandashell
10-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, the fun factor must depend on how well the team are doing, I guess, if you go regularly.

I'm hoping my next one will be Da Bears at Soldier Field if I can save up enough money.

Jersey Chick
10-28-2013, 10:42 PM
The only thing that would have made this the perfect football weekend for me would be if the Dolphins had beaten the Patriots. There is almost nothing I like as much as seeing that look of total befuddlement on Tom Brady's face when his team loses.

I could rewatch the last two minutes of the Detroit/Dallas game until my eyes fell out. Love it when the Cowboys lose - almost as much as that look of befuddlement on Brady's face.

The Jets crashed back to earth. Sorry, Rex. No, wait... I'm not.

And the G-men win. It wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. And I can relax (sort of) this week, since the Giants have the bye. Whew...

ETA: The game really flies by when you're there live and in color, doesn't it, mirandashell? I try to get to as many Giants games as I can. Even when they're losing, it's still fun - just not as much fun as it is when they're winning. :)
:D

mirandashell
10-29-2013, 12:16 AM
It does! I was quite surprised how quickly the time went compared to watching it on TV.

robjvargas
10-29-2013, 12:33 AM
It's so atrociously expensive here in the USA. Just about all the professional sports.

We have a minor league baseball park near home. I've been there a couple dozen times in two seasons. I haven't been to a prosports venue two times in a dozen seasons.

mirandashell
11-01-2013, 04:22 PM
How did Miami beat the Bengals last night?

mirandashell
11-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Really enjoyed the Texans v Colts game. Lord knows how they lost it though.

Any news on Kubiak?

robjvargas
11-04-2013, 08:56 PM
From CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/04/sport/houston-head-coach-collapse/index.html):

Late Sunday night, the Texans announced that Kubiak was conscious at a local hospital and that his family was with him.

"All his vital signs are good," said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who stepped in as interim head coach. "He did not have a heart attack, but they're still checking on everything with him."
Sounds like they're still not sure what happened.

mirandashell
11-05-2013, 05:42 PM
:e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

DA BEARS!

Well... we are in still in with a shout. Only just but we really needed to win that one last night.

robjvargas
11-05-2013, 06:53 PM
CNN is reporting that Coach Kubiak is reported to have had a "mini-stroke." Best of wishes to him, whatever it turns out to be.

Also, a big sportsmanship shout out to Shea McLellin, quoted after the Bears-Packers game, when asked if he felt good about taking Rodgers out of the game, "Not at all. I wish him a speedy recovery." I'm glad to see that kind of respect between teams.

Jersey Chick
11-06-2013, 05:25 PM
The Jets let me down. They won. Blarg. Brees was waaay off on his game. Stupid Saints. **kicks Saints**

And WTF was up with Philly? Guess they were peeved at losing to the G-men. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the Giants back in action this week, but I hate when they go into their bye week on a high note. I'm always afraid of the disruption in their momentum.

mirandashell
11-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I think this year the bye week did the Bears some good. Great game against the Packers. Although have to admit that Rodgers going out did help!

As for the Giants, not sure 'momentum' is the right word for it.......

thothguard51
11-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Bye weeks can be a blessing or a curse.

Look at the Skins last year at mid season. Came out of their by week at 3-6 and went on a 7 game winning streak and took the NFC east crown.

This year we are 3 and 5 at mid season. If we win Thursday night, we will be ahead of last year at this time, but have a harder schedule to finish out the season.

HTTR though...

Jersey Chick
11-06-2013, 05:50 PM
I'll take what I can get. It's not great momentum, a winning streak is a winning streak. :D And I have seen the Giants go on huge winning tears. I just hope the last two games were a sign of change and not just the gods toying with me.

mirandashell
11-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Thoth - you're right. I've known years with the Bears where it all went to hell after the bye week. But this year it's worked due to the change of QB. It's given the new boy a bit more chance to practice.

And JC, we're sports fans. Of course the gods are toying with us.

:tongue

thothguard51
11-06-2013, 06:12 PM
The football gods can be cruel...

Jersey Chick
11-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Shhh... we don't want to anger them now, do we?

mirandashell
11-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Well I think I'm ok cos I sacrified a chicken and ran 3 times around a bull.

Or was it the other way round?

Oh bugger........

thothguard51
11-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I should not have mocked the football gods. They taunted me with a decisive win for the Skins against the 1-7 Vikings, and then they took it all away and gave the win to the Vikes...

I will start building an alter to the foodball gods tomorrow and will kneel beforeit every Sunday and chant oh-wa-ta-goose-siam...

Jersey Chick
11-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Hey, if the G-men win this week, we won't be in last place in the NFC East. :hooray:!

mirandashell
11-08-2013, 07:18 PM
I should not have mocked the football gods. They taunted me with a decisive win for the Skins against the 1-7 Vikings, and then they took it all away and gave the win to the Vikes...

I will start building an alter to the foodball gods tomorrow and will kneel beforeit every Sunday and chant oh-wa-ta-goose-siam...

Well we did tell you...... :tongue

OH isn't going to be at all pleased when he sees the score either. I'm off to read the report.

thothguard51
11-08-2013, 07:51 PM
The G-men do have a chance to come back...

I think the Skins are going for a high draft pick...

mirandashell
11-08-2013, 08:01 PM
But the Skins are still only two games behind the leaders. And no-one in that division is playing particularly well so who knows?

thothguard51
11-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Well, we went on a 7 game winning streak last year to take the NFC east. We are exactly where we were last year, except last year, we had a weaker schedule. I don't see the Skins taking KC... Sorry guys.

mirandashell
11-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Well no. The Chiefs are having a Season Blessed by the Gods this year.

thothguard51
11-08-2013, 08:27 PM
I guess their gods are stornger than our gods...

Jersey Chick
11-08-2013, 09:20 PM
The Giants have a pretty tough second half schedule. It won't be easy, but it is possible.

I can't see the Chiefs losing to Washington, but stranger things have happened...

Shadow Dragon
11-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Giants do a shot of the division since it seems like no one wants to win it. Though right now, if Foles stays healthy, I'm picking the Eagles to win it.

mirandashell
11-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Looking at the Bears division, it's the other way around. Since beating the Packers, it could be any of three. So the game against the Lions will be also be very important.

Shadow Dragon
11-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Another really tough division this year is the AFC West. The eventual showdown between the Broncos and Chiefs is gonna be good. Next week, it'll be the undefeated Chiefs (9-0) vs Broncos (either 7-2, or more likely, 8-1) for control of the division.

mirandashell
11-09-2013, 09:57 PM
That should be a good game. Hopefully the Chiefs will shut down Manning.

thothguard51
11-09-2013, 10:24 PM
No...no...no... Skins need the Bronco's to win to demoralize the Chiefs and expose their weaknesses. (Like that is going to do the Skins any good?)

mirandashell
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Hmm yes.

I think until the Skins stop tackling like the Jags, it won't really matter what anyone else does......

Shadow Dragon
11-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Picks for tomorrow:

Seahawks beat the Falcons
Lions beat the Bears
Eagles beat the Packers (Eagles have a real shot thanks to Rodgers being hurt.)
Titans beat the Jags
Colts beat the Rams
Raiders beat the Giants
Bills beat the Steelers
Bengals beat the Ravens (Until the Ravens fix their O-line, they won't win the big games)
Panthers beat the 49ers
Cardinals beat the Texans
Colts beat the Chargers
Saints beat the Cowboys

mirandashell
11-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Panthers to beat the Niners? Hmmm. I wondered about that game and was sort of leaning towards the Panthers. Amazing how things can change in a season!

mirandashell
11-10-2013, 10:22 PM
5 minutes gone and already scores in half the 1pm games.

mirandashell
11-10-2013, 11:15 PM
First half nearly done and there are some very strange scores.... how are the Rams beating the Colts 28-0?

Jersey Chick
11-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Aaaand Eli is up to his old tricks. Someone really needs to point out that he should only throw to the men who are dressed JUST LIKE HIM.

GAH!!!!

mirandashell
11-10-2013, 11:44 PM
:D Oh dear.... how many does that make this season?

mirandashell
11-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Come on Eagles!

Oh lor this is nerve-racking.....

Jersey Chick
11-11-2013, 01:07 AM
:D Oh dear.... how many does that make this season?
16? 17? I don't even know any more. blech.

Another fugly win, but I'll take it.

Damn Packers. blarg.

C'mon, Jacksonville. I'd like to see them win one. The only team I hope stays winless is Tampa Bay. Greg Schiano = jackass.

mirandashell
11-11-2013, 01:11 AM
I'd love a fugly win..... damn Lions!

I've got my fingers crossed for the Jags as well having seen them at Wembley.

Shadow Dragon
11-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Jags won. Got to give them credit, they really wanted that win. Also, to my shock, Ravens won this week and made the division race pretty close in the AFC North. Woo!

Right now, the Panthers and Niners game is pretty close. It's shaping up to be a good game.

mirandashell
11-11-2013, 02:54 AM
I am pleased for the Jags. At last they won one!

It's the Colts score that shocked me. WTF happened in that game?

Shadow Dragon
11-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Panthers pulled off the win. Also, after getting blown out early, Chargers have made the game interesting.

thothguard51
11-11-2013, 08:18 AM
The Cowgirls are getting slaughtered right now by the Saints. Keeps the NFC East open...

Jersey Chick
11-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Brees found his game. Woot!

ElaineA
11-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Brees found his game. Woot!

Hopefully we can make him misplace it again in a few weeks. ;) That's a worrisome game, even if it is at home for us. The Beast Quake run will be shown relentlessly and those guys won't want to let it happen again.

Really, REALLY happy for the Jags and Gus Bradley. He was our DC the last few years. A good coach, but more importantly a really outstanding guy. The most positive person you'll ever hear.

Yay, Panthers! A good weekend for a Seahawks fan!

Shadow Dragon
11-13-2013, 02:45 AM
It's kinda insane when you think about how bad the NFC East is. A 7-9 team might win that division. If Foles stays healthy, the Eagle will win it, with a 9-7 record, I think. The Cowboys will do what they do best - be average, occasionally put up great stats, and lose every important game they have. Giants might make things interesting down the stretch though, if they can keep this win streak going.

Jersey Chick
11-13-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm really disappointed in the Dolphins. I sooo wanted them to win. Oh well, here's to hoping Schiano (jackass) loses the rest of the games.

The NFC East is really horrible, but I'm not counting anyone out yet. I've seen the Giants go on improbable winning tears (although this team really is like watching the Three -Eleven???--Stooges at times.)

I am curious to see what happens with the Packers now that Rodgers is out.

mirandashell
11-13-2013, 03:31 PM
I was wondering that too. Rodgers hasn't missed a game for a long while, has he? Bad time to get injured, as all Bears fans know.

thothguard51
11-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Packers have a lot more trouble with players out or playing injured than just Rodgers. Clay Matthews did not look all that capable Sunday with that big ole club on his hand...

Shadow Dragon
11-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Colts dodged a bullet and pulled off a comeback against the Titans, taking a clear lead in the division.

mirandashell
11-15-2013, 04:27 PM
How many is that now that the Titans have nearly won?

Shadow Dragon
11-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Picks:

Buffalo beats the Jets
Ravens beat Da Bears
Browns beat the Bengals
Eagles beat the Redskins
Lions beat the Steelers
Falcons beat the Bucs
Cardinals beat the Jags
Raiders beat the Texans
Chargers beat the Dolphins
Saints beat the Niners
Giants beat the Packers (I just don't trust the Packers without Rodgers)
Seahawks beat the Vikings

And for possibly the biggest game of this weekend:
Chiefs beat the Broncos

Jersey Chick
11-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Oh, that's right - tomorrow's Sunday. Woot!

mirandashell
11-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Ravens beat the Bears? Wut?

Shadow Dragon
11-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Ravens beat the Bears? Wut?
Welp, Ravens are up 10 to 0. :P Gotta give Tucker credit for kicking a 52 yard fg in a storm. Anyways, the game has been halted due to said storm at the moment.

mirandashell
11-17-2013, 11:24 PM
ah crap....

Shadow Dragon
11-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Game's back up and running. The field and ball is going to be slippery.

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 12:33 AM
So it's going to be a good old-fashioned Mud Bowl?

Shadow Dragon
11-18-2013, 12:37 AM
So far, yeah. Jersey's are already getting pretty muddy.

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Can't remember the last time I saw a Mud Bowl.

Is it right that there was a tornado in the area and that's why they evacuated?

Shadow Dragon
11-18-2013, 12:41 AM
I don't think there was a tornado. Just a really bad storm.

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Ah. I was reading the comments on the site and there was a mention of the players being wusses for coming off the field and then someone else bollocked the poster for expecting play during a tornado.

Jersey Chick
11-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Ugh. I've missed all the one o'clock games because I was working on a series bible. Grrr.... Were there any real upsets?

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Not really. Apart from the Bucs v Falcons.

Jersey Chick
11-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Rats. I wanted the Bucs to lose. I despise Greg Schiano (jackass.)

Okay, time to put on my Cruz jersey. Keep your fingers crossed I get to salsa! :D

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 01:33 AM
God knows what is going on with Atlanta this year. Such a change from last season.

Shadow Dragon
11-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Chicago closed in on the lead. They went into halftime 17-13. As for upsets, I'd count the Steelers beating the Lions as one.

thothguard51
11-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Well Philly beat my Redskins and if the Giants win today, the Skins fall to last place in the NFC east...

Griffin has got to learn to get rid of the ball quicker...

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Well the Giants are beating the Packers and the Lions lost but it won't make any difference to me if we don't bloody win! Come on Bears!

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 02:38 AM
7 mins to go......

I swear Da Bears will kill me one day.

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Nuuuhhhhhh...... overtime.

thothguard51
11-18-2013, 06:50 AM
You got your wish, Da Bears won...

Shadow Dragon
11-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Even against one of the worst defenses, the Ravens can still only score twenty points. Five weeks in a row where the Ravens haven't been able to get more than twenty points. At this point, I don't see them going to the playoffs, even as a wildcard team. The next three games are winnable, but the last three are really tough (at Detroit, home against the Pats, at Cincinnati).

Boldin traded, Pitta hurt, underachieving players, Oline scheme being trash... this was like the perfect storm for the a disappointing season.

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 06:17 PM
You got your wish, Da Bears won...

Only just though! LOL!

Sorry about your boys.

mirandashell
11-18-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm just watching the NBC game. Well... half watching. I always find this kind of game dull to watch.

mirandashell
11-19-2013, 01:18 AM
This made me laugh....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000283319/article/redskins-trent-williams-says-official-cursed-at-him

Ahhhh bless. Did the nasty referee hurt his widdle feelings?

I mean... really. Like he (or his coach) has never sworn at a ref.

And 'garbage ass'? What does that even mean?

Shadow Dragon
11-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Oh, the refs take tons of abuse from players and even more from coaches. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a coach chewing out a ref on the sideline. The old Raven's coach, Brian Billick, did is a lot. I'm surprise more haven't cursed back.

thothguard51
11-19-2013, 04:27 AM
From what I have read on the Ref vs Williams, this would not be the first time this particular ref has been accused of verbally abusing players.

Shadow Dragon
11-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Panthers just beat the Pats one week after beating the Niners. This team is definitely legit. I wouldn't call of them one of the favorites to go the distance in the NFC, but they do have a better shot than most teams.

mirandashell
11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
From what I have read on the Ref vs Williams, this would not be the first time this particular ref has been accused of verbally abusing players.

I'm on the ref's side to be honest. The abuse they take is ridiculous. Professionalism should flow both ways. And no one has told what the player did or said to make the ref call him disrespectful.

Has there been a big reaction in America?

robjvargas
11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
"I just don't think there's no room for you to have to take that from the team and the refs," Williams said.

You know, I think he's right. I don't think there's no room, either.

mirandashell
11-19-2013, 06:46 PM
If he's also getting it from his team mates maybe he needs to look to his own behaviour.

Yesterday Brady dropped a massive f-bomb on the ref. Is that any different?

Jersey Chick
11-20-2013, 02:18 AM
And my G-men are no longer in the cellar. Woot! I'm a little nervous about them going up against the Cowgirls - er, Cowboys, next week, and I wish JPP would not shoot his mouth off. I don't want to see them get so cocky that Dallas beats them again.

I could watch the Patriots lose any day of the week. :D And the Jets. I just wish I could've seen more than the Giants game this week. I hate when real life interferes sometimes. :D

Shadow Dragon
11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
On the controversial call, I agree with the refs. That ball was uncatchable. It would have taken a hell of an athletic play just to keep the interception from happening.

mirandashell
11-20-2013, 09:36 PM
I agreed with them too. It was far too short.

Shadow Dragon
11-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Finally, some good news from the Ravens, Dennis Pitta is practicing again. I swear, had Pitta been healthy this whole time, The Ravens would probably have one, maybe even two more wins this season.

Shadow Dragon
11-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Damn. Texans are losing to the Jags.

mirandashell
11-25-2013, 12:21 AM
I was just celebrating GB losing to the Vikings and then I saw the Da Bears score.....

< sigh >

Shadow Dragon
11-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Seems like something just clicked with the Rams when they faced the Colts. now suddenly, they know how to beat teams. Anywho, yay, Ravens win.

mirandashell
11-26-2013, 02:27 PM
I agree and we didn't help ourselves by being so damn awful.

Gilroy Cullen
11-26-2013, 05:33 PM
*Changes from burgandy and gold to black and purple*

Yeah, yeah. It's how the team looks right now anyway. Bruised, battered, and lost.

No points in the second half. Almost as bad as the Philly game where they didn't score for three quarters.

Skins need new something...

mirandashell
11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Maybe just to give this season up as lost.

And then sack Shanahan.

Alpha Echo
11-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Sack Shanahan and do something about RGIII. I'm not sure what happened other than his accident, but I will say he has no accuracy with his throws anymore. It's aggravating to say the least.

mirandashell
11-26-2013, 05:44 PM
I've just watched the highlights and to be fair, he is getting no protection from his O line. He got hit hard 2 or 3 times cos no-one seems to blocking for him. No wonder he's so pissed off.

Jersey Chick
11-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Here's to looking to the draft... Our pick is getting better and better.

I hate Dallas. I'm still fuming that the "fumble" by Cruz wasn't ruled as a dead ball due to forward progress being stopped. I'm still fuming over the bullshit/blown calls by the refs. I'm still fuming that Manning can NOT get a play off before play clock is almost at 0:00, I'm still fuming over the lack of pass rush (sure, give Romo all the time in the world...), and missed tackles and ---

GAH!

benluby
11-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Here's to looking to the draft... Our pick is getting better and better.

I hate Dallas. I'm still fuming that the "fumble" by Cruz wasn't ruled as a dead ball due to forward progress being stopped. I'm still fuming over the bullshit/blown calls by the refs. I'm still fuming that Manning can NOT get a play off before play clock is almost at 0:00, I'm still fuming over the lack of pass rush (sure, give Romo all the time in the world...), and missed tackles and ---

GAH!

On the other end, how many times have we seen a running back in the grasp break free and sprint away from the defense? Or seen the whistle blown a split second before the defender loses their grip and the RB springs away, people screaming?
Don't get me wrong, and this will sound odd, as I am a Pats fan, I happen to like Eli, and think he's one of the top post season clutch QB's out there.
Peyton got the regular season genius, but man does he choke.
I think the G-Men have tossed the season away. I really have no clue what Coughlin is doing half the time. He has two coaching methods. Pure genius or too damn dumb for the short bus.

Peppermint Bark
11-27-2013, 10:53 AM
The coaching, scheming, playcalling.. pretty much every element of the Ravens offensive "system" this season is absolutely atrocious. Probably the most archaic and dysfunctional coaching effort in recent NFL memory.

It just makes no sense. The Ravens won the Super Bowl last year with the #17 ranked defense. Why did this happen? Because for the first time ever in Flacco's career, they actually opened up the offense and told Flacco to make the plays. The result? The first game after Cameron (the offensive coordinator) was fired, Flacco played lousy in the first half. He still needed to get on the same page. Then he threw a terrible pick-six right before halftime. He ran 90 yards downfield to tackle the cornerback only to barely come up short Flacco stayed on the ground hanging his head.

I realized it was the rock bottom of Flacco's career. I said to myself, either Flacco will get it together right now and dominate and be a historical force for a decade to come, or he will never recover and fizzle out.

The next half? 200 yards and two touchdowns. But it was garbage time, who cares.

Then he had a 135 QBR against the Giants in the last game of the regular season (that starters played). Then he had a 126 QBR against the Colts in the wildcard. Then a 106 QBR against the Broncos.

The Ravens then went back to a conservative, closed offense for the Patriots game. The Ravens were doing nothing on offense. They were losing 13-6 at halftime. Harbaugh said in the locker room to Joe that he was going to give the ball to him to go out and win the game and bring the Ravens to the Super Bowl. Flacco went out and led three consecutive methodical, long-sustained drives and capped them all with beautiful touchdown passes. Brady? He turned it over twice and got shut out.

In the Super Bowl? Flacco had the highest Super Bowl QBR since 1994.

Ultimately Flacco had 15 touchdowns, zero interceptions, 330 YPG, and a 121 QBR in the five games of his career that he played on a modern offense.

Because over the offseason, not only did the Ravens release Boldin, they also completely changed EVERYTHING about the Ravens offensive scheme. They went back to a ground and pound offense, even though the Ravens have the worst running game in NFL history this season.

If the Ravens ever get a real offensive coordinator to come in and revamp the entire offensive philosophy with a modern, intuitive focus, Flacco will be one of the greats.

Hell, he already has the second-best postseason in NFL history, AND the second-best three year playoff span in NFL history. (18 touchdowns and 2 interceptions the last three years, with two dropped game-winning touchdown passes.

Compare what Flacco has to deal with to what Brady, Manning, Brees, etc have to deal with. Hell, if Flacco was playing on that ridiculous Broncos offense, they'd win the superbowl even if Flacco had to throw a shoe instead of a football.

Unfortunately the NFL media has brainwashed everyone to think that pretty regular season stats are the end-all be-all. That Peyton and Brady are the two greatest quarterbacks evah even though Peyton had 3 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in the one year he finally "carried" his team to a Super Bowl ring. Brady has sucked in the playoffs since they got caught cheating.

Aaron Rodgers, Flacco, and Brees , are the best quarterbacks in the league. They get it done in the playoffs.

Shadow Dragon
11-28-2013, 11:50 PM
^ I completely agree. I like Harbaugh, but the other coaches range from meh to horrible. I think bringing in Castillo was a disaster for the Ravens. If the Ravens don't make the playoffs this season, they need to replace Caldwell and Castillo. Pees... if no one better is available, fine, keep him. But if they can get a good, aggressive D coordinator, then replace him.

Shadow Dragon
11-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Raiders were close, but couldn't keep their momentum. It's a shame, they're a good team but can't close games.

mirandashell
11-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it looked like they were going to run away with that one when I went to bed.

Shadow Dragon
11-29-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm probably a little bias, but I swear the Ravens have the best kicker in the NFL. Not only did he make 5 field goals in that game, but he's made 27 in a row.

thothguard51
11-29-2013, 05:59 PM
The Ravens do have one of the best kickers...

mirandashell
12-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Arghhh.... what the bloody flipping WTFing hell!

mirandashell
12-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Ok... I've calmed down now. I swear Da Bears will kill me one day.....

Anyway, watched the NBC game today and right at the end they showed clips of Dallas v Lions with mikes on the QBs. So at one point we had Dez Bryant chewing out his QB. But the funniest thing was the final drive by the Lions. Stafford flapping his hands and squealing 'clock it!' Clock it!' like a high school cheerleader :ROFL:

Did anyone else see that or was it a British Channel 4 thing?

Gilroy Cullen
12-02-2013, 10:04 PM
That scribbling you're hearing in DC is the sound of Snyder signing the contract and check for the new head coach of the 'Skins.

Seriously? 3-9?
OMG, so going back to my hockey after this...

mirandashell
12-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Who will it be?

Shadow Dragon
12-02-2013, 11:08 PM
That's a good question. Redskins don't seem to have a clear type they go for. Sometimes they go for the coach with a lot of NFL experience, and other times to go the college coach. He might try to go for the flavor of the month and try to pick a coach from Auburn.

Shadow Dragon
12-03-2013, 10:07 AM
And the Seahawks show that in their stadium, they are damn near unbeatable. Plus, that win over the Saints makes them the clear favorites to have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. That alone makes them the favorites to go to the Super Bowl.

Lavern08
12-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Redskins don't seem to have a clear type they go for...

Either way, a change is needed - BADLY!!! :flag:

Snowstorm
12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Anyway, watched the NBC game today and right at the end they showed clips of Dallas v Lions with mikes on the QBs. So at one point we had Dez Bryant chewing out his QB. But the funniest thing was the final drive by the Lions. Stafford flapping his hands and squealing 'clock it!' Clock it!' like a high school cheerleader :ROFL:

Did anyone else see that or was it a British Channel 4 thing?

That was one of the all-time awesome game-winning plays evah! Hubby and I watched it live on TV and screamed for the longest time. Amazing!

mirandashell
12-04-2013, 09:36 PM
It would make a brilliant advert for Cluck-in-a-Bucket.......

:ROFL:

robjvargas
12-04-2013, 09:40 PM
That was one of the all-time awesome game-winning plays evah! Hubby and I watched it live on TV and screamed for the longest time. Amazing!

It got overshadowed by the Alabama-Auburn college football game (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=333340002).

I thought I was watching some football movie. I turned it on during the timeout just before.

Peppermint Bark
12-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Justin Tucker, kicker of the Baltimore Ravens, is going to be an all-time great, mark my words. There is something extraordinarily special about him. He sings opera in 5 languages, he is highly intelligent, and extremely self-assured. It's like having Ernest Hemingway as a field goal kicker.

He is 8 of 9 from 50+ yards in his career. He hit one from 59 yards in a preseason game. He hit a 72 yard field goal in practice. He consistently hits 62+ yarders in practice, with high arcs that wouldn't be blocked in a real game. He has made something like 90 percent of his field goals. He's a special kicker. He plays like a real football player. He has nerves of steel.

Watch this to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tiMrkqaEE

Shadow Dragon
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
How the mighty have fallen. The Texans have just lost to the Jaguars. As a side note, the Jaguars have the longest win streak in the AFC now.