NFL - 2013 season

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
My Steelers lost to the Giants yesterday. Steelers looked sloppy, even for a preseason game. Blocked punt, dropped punt, back up QB running into a back up RB, resulting in a safety. DB's Gay and Polamalu got their signals crossed on one coverage which led to a 60 yd TD connection between Manning and Victor Cruz. All in all, they looked like the Keystone Kops out there.

James Harrison, our star LB gone to CIncy. Our speedy WR, Mike Wallace gone to Miami. BUT a mighty mouse of a 5'7" RB we acquired got from the Cardinals looked good in the first quarter - LaRod Stephens Howling.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Those last 3 words are his name? Hmmm ok.

So your boys are carrying on from last year?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, LaRod Stephens-Howling, been with the Cards since '09, played his college ball at University of Pittsburgh, grew up just due east of Pgh in Johnstown PA, and showed a real nice vision when he carried the ball yesterday.

Pretty sure your Bears lost their opener (preseason opener that is) to the Panthers...

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My Redskins are sitting RG3 during the preseason so we won't get to see RG3 during the preseason, and maybe not even for the 1st game. They are taking their time with bringing him back from his injury, even though he has been cleared to play full contact...

The backup QB, Kirk Cousins, could be a starter on many NFL teams so Shannahan is looking like a genius for drafting two quarterbacks last year. He played well during his two series in the first preseason game.

The fourth QB, Pat White, hasn't played a down since 2009 and while he looked nervous in the preseason game, he looked a lot better than Sexy Rexy. White showed he still has the smarts and the ability to make it, at least as a backup QB...

Redskins defense is still looking shaky...

reiver33

Monolithic
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, Miranda! And I say again, ouch!

Sanchez is getting off lightly - it has been known for players on the side line, during a regular season game, to keep their helmets on as the fans were pelting them with batteries...

The Jets, where the plan starts with 'B'...

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Didn't watch much preseason. I just can't bring myself to care a lot when it's mostly second-stringers. I was pleased with what I saw of the Redskins and Ravens, the teams I root for.

And am I pleased for the season to start? YES. Go Ravens! Go Redskins!

BTW, I love Flacco because he went to the University of Delaware (Dela-where?); my parents both attended the U of D, and I grew up fifteen minutes away from it. I also love Torrey Smith because he was a star at Maryland while I was an undergrad there.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
So, in about four hours and some change, we'll be getting the first game of the season: Ravens vs Broncos! A rematch of one of the best playoff games in recent history. Broncos are coming in with a banged up offensive line and without their top pass rushers from last season.

I'm a bit biased, but I'm going to pick the Ravens to win.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I can't wait til Sunday.

Although for some reason we aren't getting the first Monday night game. We have to wait until the second.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'm a raiders fan, and they are picked by generally everyone as among the worst in the league. will probably be a long year, but what can you do...

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
Giants all the way. Get to be the first team to play in a Super Bowl in their own home stadium! I think the money is going to be Giants-Broncos. Manning vs. Manning. In a driving snowstorm (Farmer's Almanac is calling for a major snow storm about the time the game will be played!) Ha! Perchance to dream! (I think someone used that line once!)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Season Kick-Off Game

So, in about four hours and some change, we'll be getting the first game of the season: Ravens vs Broncos! A rematch of one of the best playoff games in recent history.

I fell asleep while waiting (and waiting) for the game to start - (Go ahead and laugh at the 60 year-old woman who can't stay awake past 9 PM) :tongue

... But 7 touchdowns, Peyton?

DANG!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I rooted for the Ravens, but I will give Denver their due. They played very well in the second half.

The NFC east has two important games right out of the gate. Cowboys vs Giant on Sunday night, and the Redskins vs Eagles Monday night. I can't decide who is going to take the Cowboy Giant game. As far as the Skins vs Eagles, unsure about the new coach and his hurry up offense. I feel confident the Skins will take the Eagles, but unsure if it will be big or by a narrow score...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... As far as the Skins vs Eagles, unsure about the new coach and his hurry up offense. I feel confident the Skins will take the Eagles, but unsure if it will be big or by a narrow score.

As long as the Skins win, it'll be fine with me...

My Hubby is so excited, I think I'm gonna have to hose him down this weekend until Monday gets here. :D

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that game got ugly fast in the second half for the Ravens. I swear that losing Pitta to injury is going to hit the Ravens harder than Boldin being traded. Clark and Dickson would catch a damn thing (Clark freaking dropped a touchdown pass). The only bright spots for the Ravens was the play of undrafted receiver Brown, and Webb having a good first game back from tearing his ACL.

With the way their secondary played, I think the Ravens do need to go ahead and put Matt Elam, their first round pick, in as starter in one of the safety position. I think he could easily outplay Huff or the other safety.

Now, I'm just hoping Jones and Oher's injuries aren't serious.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I can't wait til Sunday.

Although for some reason we aren't getting the first Monday night game. We have to wait until the second.

Miranda, I don't know if you get the Sunday night games but if so, the Sept 15th game is NOT to be missed. San Fran coming to the loudest stadium in the NFL (Seattle) for a game between intense rivals. GO HAWKS!

i'm a raiders fan, and they are picked by generally everyone as among the worst in the league. will probably be a long year, but what can you do...

I miss the competitive Raiders. We had great fun when Seattle was in the AFC west. The Raiders looked at us as peons but we hated them with such intensity...ah, the good ol' days. (I hope Tyrrelle Pryor can survive behind that O-Line. He's a legit player.)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I *love* Seattle home games! So loud.

I remember last year when you couldn't hear wassa-face when she walked more than 3 steps from the mike.

And it slaughtered Kapernick last year.

Which station is it on? We only get NBC on a Sunday.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Plus, it's Seattle's opening home game--it's gonna be nuts. Glad you'll get to see it. :D My ears rang for hours after the Green Bay game last year. I think this one will be even worse. Considering ear plugs but it seems somehow wrong...

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Jacoby Jones will be out 4-6 weeks. Damn. I think he is replaceable on the offense with the two rookie recievers the Ravens have (Brown, who had some big catches against Denver, and Mallete, who played very well in the preseason), but it's going to really hurt the Ravens' special teams.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
For some unknown reason, Channel Four here have started showing Hard Knocks - a series about the Cincinatti Bengals training camp and pre-season games from this year (I think). And they are showing it at 7am on a Sunday.... no, me neither! We only spotted it cos OH was awake at 5am and had a mooch through the EPG!