Title For a Caravan Leader

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
In the 29th century, in Eastern Canada, I have a semi-post-apocolyptic world that's inhabited by roaming (peaceful) caravans, and raiders that prey upon the caravans and anyone else who wanders into their territory. The caravans are survivors of a global warming catastrophe that evaporated the Great Lakes and turned part of Canada into a desert. So they're nomadic, roaming around the desert, trading for food and supplies.

The thing is, I'm at a loss as to what the caravan leader might be called. I don't want to just call him, "the leader." I want a realistic-sounding title. My Google research didn't come up with any suggestions, so I'm hoping someone here will have an idea. Is there any historical title that I could use? Or a native Middle-Eastern title? If there's a Canadian word that would work, that would be ideal. I just need something to call the guy.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in the cowboy days of the wild west, a leader of a wagon train was called the wagon master.

I suppose its possible a caravan leader would be the Caravan Master...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they're of Middle Eastern descent, I wouldn't go with a Middle Eastern title.
I think the Thothguard's 'wagonmaster', a carry over from what, to them, would be ancient North American history.
If they were closer to our time, I'd go with something from the trucking industry. I'm thinking of that song and movie from when CB's were hot: 'Convoy', about rebel truckers. Possibly truckers have a word for who's in charge of a group of trucks on a particular job?
Better yet, a Quebecois term.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Captain, or Capitaine, or Cap.
Chief or Chief Wagon Master
Maitre', or Master
Skipper
Boss (as in Trail Boss)
Navigator, Pilot (in sailing waters a Pilot is the guy who comes aboard the big ships to guide them into and through a harbor.)

OR name him/her after some badge or attire that the leader of the caravan wears:

The Red Cap, Tall Iron, Helmet Head, Tin Star, you get the idea.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Middle eastern caravans were generally lead by a caravan bashi (Bashi being an old Turkic word for a captain). In many cases there were other officers below him such as the captain of the march (the one who was in charge of the movements of the caravan), captain of rest (the one who took over when the caravan stopped to camp), captain of distribution (the one who supervised provisions and served as a field general if the caravan was attacked), and the treasurer (the one who handled the money, managed clerks and translators, and kept a log of the caravans' journey).

I'm not sure how it worked in caravans outside the middle east.

Russell Secord

nearly perfect
Registered
Reaction score
The original usage of teamster was for someone who managed a team of horses, especially when hauling cargo. Only later did it extend to truck drivers.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard wagon master used quite often

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! So far, I'm liking "master" best. Although it does have some connotations that don't apply, it could still work. If anyone has any more ideas, please feel free to share. It's not written in stone, yet. ;)

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! So far, I'm liking "master" best. Although it does have some connotations that don't apply, it could still work. If anyone has any more ideas, please feel free to share. It's not written in stone, yet. ;)

To avoid the connotations, make it "wagon master," "trial master", "caravan master" etc.

If I was reading the novel the first few instances of seeing the other characters calling him "master" would trigger slavery associations in my mind and I would start to assume slavery was part of this futuristic culture. I may figure it out later, but why confuse readers?

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
"Travel Master", "Master Traveler"?

Or better yet, make a new word and give it that meaning in your book. Something kind of rough and leader-ish sounding like "Khal" is in the Song of Fire and Ice series.

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not good at making words up. They usually sound ridiculous. I'll give it some thought, though.