When agent wants to know about other agents - Update

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just received a reply from an agent based on a full request:

Thank you so much for letting me have a read of your manuscript. I really enjoyed it and I’d love for you to come to our office to chat about it further if you’re able one day over the next couple of weeks? Can I ask if you have been in contact with other literary agencies?

Aside from her, there are five other agents who have requested the MS. Should I just tell her "There are five other agents" or should I include their names as well? Not sure what the protocol is and don't want to start off on the wrong foot with her. Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I've had one or two who wanted to know specifics (who had it and for how long). And, I think, one who was just curious if anyone else had looked at it.

I would just say "I've had requests from five other agents." If she wants to know the particulars, I'm sure she'll ask for their names.

Congrats!

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had agents request to know if anyone else is looking at a MS. I just told them how many were reading it, but not who the agents were. In more than one case, I've gotten the impression that it's a positive thing and I think it bumps you up on the reading queue.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As "in contact with" is vague, I'd be vague right back. I'd say something like 'I would be happy to meet with you next week. I'm free on Tuesday, but have to wallow in my swamp until three on Wednesday. I have been in contact with a few other agencies who have requested the full manuscript, yes. Please let me know which of these times would be better for you, and if your office has reinforced, hippo-safe furniture. I look forward to meeting you,

PinkButt

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the great advice and encouragement!

*Corny? How did you escape from under my butt?? Git back under there and stop causing trouble!*

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
*muffled cries for help and skittering sounds*

This is like my new book, about when a bunch of us from the box are picked to go to this empty bowl and fight each other...

cornflake-games.png

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
No advice and no experience, just wanted to say WOOT! :D

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Putputt!

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I will definitely keep you guys posted. Except corny, who will have to find out some other way, because this thread is now officially corn-free.

*stuffs big hippo butt in entrance to thread*

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I will definitely keep you guys posted. Except corny, who will have to find out some other way, because this thread is now officially corn-free.

*stuffs big hippo butt in entrance to thread*

Threads are never cornflake free. If you break one, all you get are millions of little crumbs that will haunt you until the day you die. Even the vacuum can't get rid of them. *nods sagely*

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect this might be in the running for Most Exciting Thread Currently On The Boards.

Good luck Putputt! Keep us posted minutely

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
If you need the thread corn-free, there are other ways. Chickens eat corn, you know. Peckpeckpeckpeckpeck, and your problem is gone.

Somehow I think eating another member might violate RYFW...

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*facepalm* Not you too, Corussa! You're supposed to be the voice of reason!

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh! I just received this from a different agent:

[FONT=&quot]Thanks again for sending this through. My colleague and I in the London office of the agency have now both had the chance to read this and really enjoyed it. I thought the plot twists were great, and was left very excited for the next instalment in Mara’s adventures ... Just out of interest have you written the second part yet?

We’ve passed it on to a colleague in New York to get another opinion, but I just wanted to let you know that we’ll get back to you as soon as we hear back from them. Do keep in touch and let us know if there are any developments on your side.
[/FONT]

I am meeting with the first agent on Wednesday. Is it appropriate to tell this agent about it, or will that come off as obnoxious? And if I do tell her about the other agent, should I tell her who it is or just be like, "One other agent"?

Blaawrgh, sorry for all the questions, this is pretty unfamiliar waters for me. Thank you!

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
You are absolutely allowed to accept multiple offers to represent from more than one agent. Let them explain what benefits they bring to the table that other agents can't match. Then, do what you think is best for YOUR book. Different agents have different contacts and different relationships with editors, foreign agents and movie producers. It's worth it to you to learn what those are. :)