View Full Version : Advice on traveling agent

MJ ONeill
08-07-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm in the fabulous situation to now have multiple offers of representation. In addition to doing the non stop happy dance, I nudged the other agents with my fulls, giving them the deadline.

One agent responded back that she is traveling out of the country right now, loves my work, but needs an extra week longer than my deadline.

Would the offering agents feel it's rude for me to keep them waiting an extra week?

08-09-2013, 06:06 AM
This reminds me of a presentation we heard at BEA this year. I forget which editor told us the story but it was the adult trade Buzz panel.

The editor was on vacation. A manuscript arrived from an agent. She took a quick look cause she knew the agent had good stuff. And it was.

She cancelled the rest of her vacation, and came back to the office so she could make a bid.

The point of this story is if we really want something we'll do what we need to do to get it.

Thus, waiting is entirely your call. If you want to give everyone an extra week, most agents will understand (it's August/it's hot/the competition is a bunch of sad ass slackers)

Frankly, I love it when my competitors are slow. That gives me LOTS of time to email the author with my Evil Plans For World Domination.

MJ ONeill
08-15-2013, 05:54 AM
Ha, on fear of other agent evil world domination plots, traveling agent called me from the airport. Thanks for the perspective.

Cathy C
08-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Congrats on the problem! :D May your chosen agent sell your book quickly and for obscene amounts of money!

08-15-2013, 05:29 PM
If they like the work I am sure they'd wait, but no one likes to feel like they aren't first choice. Depends how much you want to work with travelling agent.