PDA

View Full Version : Does this order look right?

sugarhit
08-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and can't wait to stop lurking and start talking! I'm new to the self-publishing scene and am trying to piece together the best order for getting from first draft to hitting "submit" online.

Does this order of processes look right? This is what I've pieced together from various articles and blog postings.

Write first draft
Send to critique partner (if available)
Revise
Send to line editor/proofreader
Revise
Re-send to line editor/proofreader
Send edited version to beta readers
Revise
Send final draft to copyeditor
Publish

If not, what was your process and how long did it take from step 2 onward?

girlyswot
08-07-2013, 08:41 PM
I would say that ideally #4 ought to be 'send to developmental or content editor'.

Old Hack
08-07-2013, 09:57 PM
I run my books through a few revisions before I hand them over to my editors: it seems wrong to me to ask people for advice on how to improve them when they're still only rough drafts, and I know I can improve them on my own.

WriterBN
08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Step 4 should be: "Repeat step 3 at least 10 times."

Polenth
08-07-2013, 10:25 PM
No one sees my first drafts. My critique partner gets a version I think is ready and as good as can be. It's a better use of their time, rather than them pointing out errors I could have fixed.

For paid editors, they're not doing you a favour. But you're wasting money if you send them work that isn't ready for their sort of editor. You don't need typos fixed before the main work on the rewrites is done. You don't need story edits before your volunteer readers have seen it.

I had a lot of steps that involved me reading for errors and checking the story against my style guide. Revising didn't happen in these steps. I was self-editing. Even with outside editors, I don't think it hurts to do this.

LBlankenship
08-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Here's my version:

1. Brain explodes onto page
2. Revise
3. Send to beta readers -- minimum of 2
4. Revise
5. Repeat steps 2-3 twice or more, ideally using different betas each time
6. Send to content editor
7. Revise
8. Send to copyeditor/proofreader
9. Fix errors noted
10. Publish

sugarhit
08-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll move step 3 up and go from there.

I appreciate it!

Michael Davis
08-08-2013, 06:55 AM
I'd add two activities: First, outline the theme in a story board fashion or just bulleting whats in each chapter (if you're a pantster, ignore step). Second, somewhere in there you should come up with ideas for the cover and seek out artists.

bearilou
08-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Here's mine (bearing in mind I'm writing short stories):

1. Yak on the page
2. Let it cure for a week
3. Grab it two days later to start editing.
4. Throw computer out the window for being such a hack.
5. Retrieve computer before it starts raining.
6. Muscle through edits: Realize I'm not as bad as all that and get pretty excited.
8. Repeat 6 for a few iterations.
9. Off to Beta.
10. Repeat 6
11. Off to Beta: In the meantime, work on cover, get formatting set up and ready to go.
12. Repeat 6
13. Sacrifice a brand new RW-DVD to the Writing God(dess).
14. Close eyes: Publish.

sugarhit
08-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Michael.

Way ahead of you. I'm actually on Chapter 4 now and am an outlining fanatic after seeing my word counts double vs. pantsing.

I'm looking for cover artists in my non-writing time and have been in contact with two so far. I've no clue what I want in terms of a cover, though and am compiling a board on Pinterest of my favorite types so they can have a better idea of my preferred aesthetic.