Who else keeps chickens?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How much do you love them?

:e2arms: this much?

I have four 16-week-olds. They're totes adorable.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Mine are a little over 12mths now. We started with 6 2wk old black australorps from my son's kindy (the Henny Penny Hatching program). 4 were roosters (the ones that had the most personality early on, of course) and ended up finding a new home via a nearby produce store when they were around 5mths old. So we were left with 2 girls, named Helga and Sparkles. And yes they are very cute - for chooks that is.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
A friend has a house chicken called Amelia. She is very cute and, for a chicken, old. She lives in a house with 12, yes, twelve, cats. Guess who rules the roost? She is much loved by my friend.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine are called Rocket. All my chickens have always been called Rocket. It helps differentiate them from Charlie

<---

I adore my chickens. They're just so chickeny.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mother had chickens when I was a kid.

We once had a couple of ducks as well, until they started eating my mother's vegetable garden. Then we didn't have ducks.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... why did the chicken cross the road ?
Kindly Mccardey was on the other side,
with a hug in store :)

Deleted member 42

We do. I'm partial to Silkies, but we have a mixed bunch. Aracauna and Copper Marans have pretty eggs.

No rooster.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My friend and next door neighbor has chickens. They lay the very best eggs. And they sound like they're winding up for a karate chop when I walk by. Noisy ninja chickens.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't keep chicken right now (being in an apartment), but I studied what chicken could see for my Masters. (Picture chickens running through mazes looking for barley. And they are adorable. Except when you don't give them the barley, then they can get a tad cross.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My other neighbor has a rooster. I call him Marvin. If anything drastic ever happens to Marvin, it wasn't me.

noisy, miserable, bastard, grumble, mumble, 4:45 in the damn morning...

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do! We have 6... (3 who lay, 3 who will start laying in a few weeks here, probably)

Never any love for us roosters. :cry:

I do! Just one....by accident. But considering how terribly their little lives usually end at the close of 'chick days', I'm happy we have him :)

DawnBrown

Writing. Revising. Rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
We have Black Copper Maraons, Cukoo Marans, Welsummers and Red Sex Link. 1 Wellsummer Rooster. We've had many different breeds over the years. Living where we do, we have to try to protect them from all manner of predators. We have a Black Copper Maran who survived an attack, but lost her top beak. She is fine now, just looks a little funny.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
7 light brahmas

Wonderful eggs

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! One of my chickens is sick :( She looked fine, but this afternoon I noticed she wasn't keeping up with the rest of them. She got progressively more headachey-looking and now she's off her food. And she's looking hunched and closing her eyes a lot.

I've isolated her, but I feel mean about it - she's cheeping. Poor little blossom.

Lorna Peel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lornapeel.com
I have four hens - Petronella, Isabella, Wilhelmina, and Beatrix - a cockerel called Patrick - and a guinea hen called Gertrude. :D

Lorna Peel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lornapeel.com
Oh no! One of my chickens is sick :( She looked fine, but this afternoon I noticed she wasn't keeping up with the rest of them. She got progressively more headachey-looking and now she's off her food. And she's looking hunched and closing her eyes a lot.

I've isolated her, but I feel mean about it - she's cheeping. Poor little blossom.

She could be egg bound (have a stuck egg). Is she straining at all?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rocket is all better :) I took the A-Cat's advice and gave her a warm mash with some sugar, and dusted wildly for mites. She was surprised but she took it well.

Thanks all for your advice (and *sigh* recipes).

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
One right now. Name's Crook. Sort of a tragic story that happened to him which makes me sad and I can't repeat it but he's doing fine. Not happy to be confined to a cage but until we get the hole in the chicken house fixed, he's not safe from predators.