Weekend Progress Report (2004) -Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

batyler65

Okay, Gang,
Until our ezboard account is repaired, the old WPR thread is going to close itself out every time someone posts to it. I'm sure this is due to a size limitation.

So, in order to keep the playground open, I've started this thread. IF YOU WERE AWAITING A RESPONSE FROM SOMEONE IN THE OLD THREAD... check there first before reposting the question here.

Other than that... Same old rules apply. Show up between Friday and Monday, confess your writing sins, announce your successes and your goals. You know the game... play on!

BArb

Kida Adelyn

I knew this would pop up. Nothing can keep us from reporting!!!! Mhuhaha!!!

I'm not weird... no I'm serious! quit laughing!

batyler65

Friday, November 19, 2004

Welcome back, weekenders!

Another week has stomped all over me and I swear I don't have a lot to show for it. Today is the first day all week I have managed to move forward in MONSTER. I begin to doubt that this thing will ever get finished. I'm 63,000 words in, and if I'm lucky, I might, MIGHT hit 64k today.

I had to make some big decisions this week as well. I asked for a raise for my humor column and did not receive the response I wanted. So after long hours spent debating time vs. money vs. stress, I decided to stick to my guns and tell my editor that as much as I like writing for the mag, I could not take less than what I had asked for. I sent the e-mail out around 11pm last night, by 11:30 my editor had e-mailed back a compromise. She wants me to continue to write for the magazine, but she may not be able to include me in every issue now due to budget constraints. I'm not sure how this will work out, but I'm willing to give it a shot on a trial basis.

That's my big news for the week. I guess I earned some lashes for my pitiful lack of progress. But since I have no whip emoticon any longer, you'll just have to use your imagination. <g>

I'm going to beg everyone's indulgence here and see what happens. This week, rather than try to jump back and forth between threads to pick up everyone's progress from last week forward, I'm going to ask everyone to report in on their own. Radical, no?

Okay, guys and gals.... You know who you are... you know what you've done this week. BRING IT ON!

Tell me your tales of triumph... tell me your tales of woe.
Don't make me get out my list.

Attention all you LURKERS and ABSENTEES
We're all starting with a clean slate here (well, okay a slightly smudged slate, but I didn't have time to polish it up.) Now is the perfect time to add your doodles in the dust. Come play.

Write on!
Barb

ChunkyC

Re: Friday, November 19, 2004

Okay, I'll start.

As you all know, I finished the first draft of FATL. I spent the week reviewing notes I'd made during the writing, and finishing up the chapter synopses. Now I'm going to work on building up the story in an effort to achieve novel-stature. I have one idea in particular: in a scene, I have one character ask another for a story and had him say he would tell stuff that the reader already knows, so I skip ahead. I think I'll have the character tell a tale the reader doesn't know, so I can put this flashback into the story.

*cracks knuckles* ...and away we go....

Yeshanu

Barb,

I hate to do this, since I'm one of the ones you're going to use it on occasionally, but here's an even better whip for you:

whipg.gif

You can find this gal over at Best Smileys here:

Whip Lady

Just copy and paste the text beside her into your message and voila!

Kida Adelyn

Shooting yourself in the foot again mom?

I like it though. :)

Cate

Write on!

I is on fiiiyyya!
Talked w/ the editor of the mag that wants my piece on spec, and I feel pretty good about it.
Was supposed to hand in an outline for an animal mag that expressed interest in a query I sent. I wrote the piece instead and sent it in.
Worked on 2 other pieces which I am polishing for an environmental mag.
Did nothing on the book, but for now it is on the back burner.
I am on a roll w/ the mags . . .
Got an acceptance to an online pub too!
Feelin good. Puppy is driving me crazy, but I feel bad for him too.. We are all stir crazy here . . .
Cate

Kida Adelyn

Buenos!

Hullo.

This week I continued to plod along at my novel. Reached 20k on it last night. :D

I also wrote more on Heatbeat. Finished typing up a chapter.

-Ally

Ps. Go Cate :)

batyler65

RUTH

Thanks for the whip. Was just being lazy.

Umm... don't forget to report in, or I'll have to use it on ya.

B

batyler65

CC

Good on ya!

I think you've got an excellent idea! let us know how that progresses, okay? You are SO focused.

Cheers!
B

batyler65

BURNIN' CATE

Should we dial the fire department?

You go, girl! Sorry about the cabin fever, truly I am. But Wow! it has perks.

B

Lori Basiewicz

Reporting In

Okay, I did not do well on the 1K 2Day challenge this week -- missed the target on three different days -- but all the words I did write were in TBWN.

TBWN:
Wrote 5063 words. Current wordcount 66.9K.

OTHER: Contacted three or four different trade magazines.

batyler65

Lori

Well, I guess this starts a new week. 1K 2day? I'm going to try to get back on track.

Keep the faith. Maybe this week will be better... although... holidays... EEEK!

B

batyler65

Melina

Repeat after me... Ten Minutes Today. I will write ten minutes today. Say it. Mean it. Repeat it again tomorrow. Then take a deep cleansing breath and go do it.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You sent out a query. You wrote SOMETHING.

I personally am having one of those days when I want to sit and stare into space. Not very productive, I must say.

Chin up, shoulders back! Now, off you go.

Write, write, write,
Barb

aka eraser

Thread Lock

Congrats everybody! :)

Barb, the original thread can be unlocked now if you want. Scroll to the bottom of it and click "topic commands." The top one should be "unlock thread."

Yeshanu

My Report

Umm... don't forget to report in, or I'll have to use it on ya.

Not this week... <grin> (We've got our gold back, but where are all my favourite smileys?)

Nothing on the non-fic book this week, but...

Assignments... Still going strong. Did two, one was 1673 words, the other was about 1350 words, but the computer crashed after I had written the whole thing, but before I had printed or saved (yeah, I know, I know I should save more often then at the end...) so I had to rewrite from scratch, and it turned out quite different, so that was another 1350 words.

NaNo... Not anywhere near 50k yet, but I broke 10K with four writing sessions, totalling 3629 words, which brings my NaNo total to 11,327 words. (Can you say "smiley party"? <grin>)

And a miscellaneous outburst which may eventually be good for two personal essays, one humourous and one serious... 1381 words.

So, my grand total for the week was... 9383

Argh! Gotta go write about 617 more words. I'll be back in a while...

(Hmm... Come to think of it, I did write some stuff longhand -- a revision of the opening scene from ATTS. Wonder how many words I've got down there?)

Yeshanu

Smiley Party for Ally

I invited some friends to help celebrate...

cactus.gif
mrpotato.gif

2.gif
20.gif

Way to go!

batyler65

Re: Thread Lock

Just so everyone will know -- I do know how to unlock the other thread but have opted not to. I can not imagine what might happen with two of them open (Hey, I'm only human, guys!)

Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.