Help. What's the protocol here?

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
*NEVERMIND, I was being paranoid, and the agent in question got back to me today. (I do still think it's a valid question for others who might freak out as much as me in the future, but my dilemma has been solved.)

So, an agent asked to see my full MS a week ago. Because I have offers on the table, I specified a deadline of Monday (yesterday) to hear back. I've received no response since. Yesterday evening I sent a polite follow-up email asking the status of my manuscript, so I can at least let the other agents know what's going on. Still no word this morning. So, do I take the radio silence as an R and move forward? Do I wait because agents are busy people? Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I think it would be sort of rude of me to keep others waiting. Every other agent who I notified of the offer has gotten back to me in 2 or 3 days, so I'm just not sure what to do in this situation.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I just went through this a few months ago, and I had similar no-responders. What I did is treat the deadline as a hard deadline and assumed that those who didn't respond were deciding not to offer.

A few of those agents got back to me anyway after the deadline, just letting me know what they thought, or wishing me luck. A few never did. But in my conversations with agents, they all said that they know this is part of the business and that when a deadline comes around sometimes, even though they may want to, they simply can't find the time to read a manuscript and/or decide on an offer.

In sum, I felt it was unfair to keep the other agents waiting when they fulfilled their part of the bargain. YMMV.

Good luck, whatever you decide. (And congratulations!)