"I Wish I'd Known ___ Before I Wrote That Play..."

RussPostHoc

Jackalope of All Trades
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. Somewhat to my surprise, I'm writing a play. I've been in and directed plenty of them, and since I'm in charge of a black box show this year, I thought I'd write one myself and see if I could create something good enough to perform.

The only other play I've written was an adaptation of a graphic novel; I liked what I did with it, but I can't get the performance rights, so I'm writing that off as a learning experience.

Nonetheless, as someone whose bread-and-butter has been prose (non-fiction, mainly) for many years, I'm betting there are some things I'm unlikely to figure out for myself.

What crucial lessons have y'all learned in the crafting of scripts?

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
1. Establish the dramatic question early: What is this play about? What question has to be answered before I can applaud and go home?

2. Know the ending before you start to write. Hopefully, with a great dramatic explosion at the climax of the play. Either that or be prepared to wander for several hundred pages looking for an ending.

3. Good comedies are harder to write. Every good comedy had a strong dramatic element that underlies the humor.

4. ALL great plays start with great characters.

Doug

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Russ, I posted something today about a book somebody sent me. It was written specifically for playwrights. Amazing book. Anyhoo, not specifically answering your question but if you are interested, the book is called The Art of Dramatic Writing by Enri. 194? Oh, I quoted a couple of little thingies on my post *here, if interested* so you can kind of get a sense of what the guy's saying. I'm not a playwright but I think it's really good and it might be helpful to you.

Good luck, btw.

-kk

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Russ, I posted something today about a book somebody sent me. It was written specifically for playwrights. Amazing book. Anyhoo, not specifically answering your question but if you are interested, the book is called The Art of Dramatic Writing by Enri. 194? Oh, I quoted a couple of little thingies on my post *here, if interested* so you can kind of get a sense of what the guy's saying. I'm not a playwright but I think it's really good and it might be helpful to you.

Good luck, btw.

-kk

Egri is the author. Lajos Egri. It's a terrific book for all dramatic writers - even screenwriters.

:)

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Egri is the author. Lajos Egri. It's a terrific book for all dramatic writers - even screenwriters.

:)
Thank you, creativexec. Of course it's Egri. Momentary stupidity. Hopefully momentary.

Anyhoo, yeah, it's a really good book for all dramatic writers, absolutely.

(Write "absolutely," you don't sound stupid. :))

-kk

storygirl99

Registered
Reaction score
Readings of your drafts are a double-edged sword.

I always have readings of my script (out loud at my house with real actors). There is nothing more helpful than hearing actors read the words out loud. A reading will immediately let you know if the pacing, dialogue and plot are working.

BUT...beware of the post reading talk-back. Everybody wants to get their 2 cents in but it doesn't mean all feedback is worthwhile. My advice is to limit post-reading discussion and instead to ask one or two people who you trust to sit in and listen and give feedback later.

Have fun!

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
The Art of Dramatic Writing is a really good one, but my favorite is The Playwright's Guidebook by Stuart Spencer. That's the only one on playwrighting I've read several times.

If this is your first play, give yourself a lot of lead time and make sure you have a few people reading it before you really get into it. It's really easy to write a play. It's really difficult to write a play that anyone will actually want to watch.