Erotic and sweet?

mangydawg

Registered
Reaction score
Have you all read books or novellas that were romantically sweet while at the same time explicit?

My wife and I just finished writing a novella, about 25,000 words, that seems to have turned out that way. I'll reread it in a week to see if it still strikes me as this romantic, but right now I really like it. (It's in a box. I might have to lock it up and have a friend hold the key for a week so I don't cheat and read it again too soon)

Anyway, it made me wonder if you've read anything explicit that gave you that warm fuzzy feeling about the relationship. Do books like this appeal to readers?

I've read a fair amount of erotica and erotic romance, but the heat level is usually too hot for the warm fuzzies. The relationship itself usually seems to come second to the sex. Yes, they are tied to one another, but the romance seems to take second place as far as focus. Just my reading experience so far, which is why I'm asking about this here. My wife reads erotica and this story we wrote is outside her reading experience as well.

Our story involved a married couple experiencing empty nest syndrome. She's sexually repressed, to a degree, due to the way she was raised. He's put most of his time and energy into building his business over the years, partly due to a growing emotional distance within the marriage. She has a submissive bent, though she hasn't acknowledged or explored it. When she learns he is talking with a lawyer about a possible divorce, she takes a hard look at herself and her marriage. He's out of town on a business trip, so she has time for some serious soul searching--and to find and read his journal. Issues from the way she was raised had crept into her relationship with her husband, leading to a distance between them in their marriage---not talking specifically about sex, here, though that has been effected as well. She ultimately suggests domestic discipline in order to go after the type of life she wants to live and to be who she really is on the inside. She did not suggest this out of fear of being left alone. The journey they take together is about personal discovery, rediscovering each other, facing the past, and accepting her desires and herself.
It's not a whips and chains type of story, nor is she a mindless slave by any means. There is spanking and light bondage and the scenes are graphic. The sex isn't outrageously kinky, in my opinion, though much of what they do is new to her. As graphic as the scenes are, the focus as we wrote was on how her character reacted and her thoughts and impressions as it happened. It culminates with her confronting her estranged mother one last time, something she wouldn't have had the strength or courage to do at the beginning of the story. HEA ending as they renew their vows.
This turned out more romantic than I had planned when we began it. The characters dictated how the story progressed. My wife influenced the explicit scenes more so than me while I influenced the husband's romantic gestures and actions more than her. That these two truly loved each other became evident to us almost immediately as we began, so we let them tell their story and did our best to stay out of their way. We wrote it in first person from the wife's POV.

Both my wife and I are surprised at how different this turned out as opposed to what we thought it would be when we began it. We were all set for a wild, erotic ride, full of fun and excitement. We both like it, but we're wondering what the Hell it is and if there is a market for it. I think self publishing it on Kindle may be the way to go if this doesn't fit a publisher's guidelines. The sex doesn't happen on page one and there are no chapters, just a straight run from beginning to end like traditional novellas of the past, so I'm leery about submitting it to a publisher.

We're not saying that we accomplished anything new or groundbreaking, just that this story is outside our experience and we are unsure about a possible readership for it or how to market it. At worst, it should do okay on a free site and serve as advertising for other works we will publish. Still, right now, I think it has value and would not want to give it away free.

Assume it is competently written. What would you do with it if you saw a solid story, good characterization, and enjoyed reading it after you finished? Does it sound like something you've read before? If so, what was it listed under and was it popular?

Thanks

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of what I (and many, many others here) have published is both erotic and sweet. After all, erotic romance is a huge market, and lots of our members write for it.

While I lean toward somewhat "harder" content as my personal preference, I can do sweet as well.

If you're not sure where to place it, then it sounds like you have a bunch of homework to do. There are plenty of publishers for such materials.

Maryn, pleased to meet you, BTW

mangydawg

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, too, Maryn.

They used to publish Writer's Guide, (I think that was the title) which listed publishers and their guidelines, back before ebooks became so popular. Is there any consolidated resource like that online now? I know, I'm showing my age.

Most of my research so far has gone into how to self publish on Amazon and the other ebook stores. I'm still trying to bring myself up to speed on all the changes that have happened since I last got published years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Thanks for responding.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Veinglory's EREC is a good place to start, though really you need to go from there and check out each individual publisher's guidelines and read some of their books. Places that do a range of heat levels are (IMO) more likely to have readers looking for sweet stuff as well as erotic.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Have you all read books or novellas that were romantically sweet while at the same time explicit?

Anyway, it made me wonder if you've read anything explicit that gave you that warm fuzzy feeling about the relationship. Do books like this appeal to readers?

Our story involved a married couple experiencing empty nest syndrome.
We're not saying that we accomplished anything new or groundbreaking, just that this story is outside our experience and we are unsure about a possible readership for it or how to market it. At worst, it should do okay on a free site and serve as advertising for other works we will publish. Still, right now, I think it has value and would not want to give it away free.

Assume it is competently written. What would you do with it if you saw a solid story, good characterization, and enjoyed reading it after you finished? Does it sound like something you've read before? If so, what was it listed under and was it popular?

Thanks
Ellora's cave have a line called "Branded" which is specifically erotic romance in which the couple are married and grow in their relationship through sexual experience.

Last edited: