Positive Kirkus Review

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
My first review!! And it's mostly positive. :tongue

THE PARADOX OF VERTICAL FLIGHT
Author: Emil Ostrovski

Alone and angst-ridden in his boarding school dorm on his 18th birthday, Jack is contemplating suicide by painkiller when he learns his ex-girlfriend is giving birth.

Though she listed the father as “unknown,” Jess, 20, invites Jack to meet his son before relinquishing him to adoptive parents. Overwhelmed, Jack scoops the baby up and runs, naming him Socrates. Vehicularly challenged, Jack persuades his best friend to drive them. Stopping for Jess, they embark on an eccentric road trip from Bangor, Maine, to upstate New York. Along the way—when not shopping for formula, changing diapers, arguing over trivia with Tommy and bickering with Jess—Jack conducts a funny, heartfelt imaginary dialogue on the meaning of life with little Socrates. These amiable meanderings through ancient Greek philosophy are the novel’s heart and soul. Channeled by a talented, millennial author, these age-old conundrums of good and evil, fate and free will feel fresh and urgent. Readers seeking to decode the generational genome will find plenty to ponder here. Bromance trumps romance; Jess is more scold than soul mate. Socrates is a remarkably obliging newborn. (Margaret Bechard’s Hanging on to Max, 2001, and Angela Johnson’s First Part Last,2003, present far more realistic views of teen fatherhood.)

Inconsistent temporal markers (dates aren’t specified) are briefly distracting, but Jack's quest for meaning holds reader attention all the way. (Fiction. 14 & up)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/emil-ostrovski/the-paradox-of-vertical-flight/

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Big congrats! I actually just got my hands on an ARC of your book via my job. Looking forward to reading.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Nice job! And don't worry--Kirkus always finds something wrong with a book. I don't think I've ever seen a 100% positive review from them. There are lots of good bits in this, so rejoice! :)

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! Frankiebrown, I very much hope you enjoy the book!! Cathy--thanks haha, that makes me feel better. :)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well done
talented, millennial author
. That's a review that will have lots of sales in it :)

I'm off to show Paul. :)

ETA: Paul sends hearty congratulations and says "That took a while, didn't it?"

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Sylvie! Ah, it's been too long--how are you? Thanks very much for the kind words!! Please thank Paul for me as well. :)

Mclesh--thanks very much! Really appreciate it. :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats 'n way2go! So glad for you, Mr. A. Definitely calls for :Cake:s 'n thx much for your kindness always! :Hug2:s

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs on the review! Lots of reader hooks in there.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys. Penguin, I hope you enjoy it!! :) You were one of the first to read and encourage me on the project, back when I first started writing/posted excerpts in Share Your Work.

Penguin

Inspiration might strike you
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys. Penguin, I hope you enjoy it!! :) You were one of the first to read and encourage me on the project, back when I first started writing/posted excerpts in Share Your Work.

Yeah, I remember! I probably had no idea what I was saying back then, but I'm glad I encouraged you :). I think you encouraged me, too :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks regdog!!

Penguin, We've definitely both come far. :) I actually have your novel, No Ordinary Hero, sitting on my kindle. I absolutely need to get to it soon. I'm excited for it!

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Oh wow, Mr Anonymous! From everything I've heard, this is a very well-deserved review. Congratulations!!! I am very happy for you.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. A! I'm so happy for you! That is a pretty damn good review coming from Kirkus. Congrats!

And No Ordinary Hero by our sweet little Penguin is a REALLY fun read. Just sayin' :)

Mr. Orange

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Mr. A, I've always enjoyed your postings.