• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

In the Midst of Monsters, Why Can't We Be Friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatRoseWrites

Demon Hunter; Klutz Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently revising my book (working title: In the Midst of Monsters, hence the thread title), which is a YA-crossover fantasy, and am hoping to find a good crit partner/beta to read it. Here is the summary:

"The last thing the notorious pirate Alek Stryder expected was a girl marooned on the same isle as he in the middle of the Bitter Seas. After she reveals the story behind the strange brand she bears on her wrist, he decides to recruit her in his hunt for the legendary beast that destroyed both their lives. But as they battle across isles haunted with strange and beautiful monsters, his one too many mistakes threaten to catch up with him.
The runaway Kaia Threed is determined to bring vengeance to the beast that killed her shield-sisters. So when the cocky swashbuckler who saved her proposes a partnership in piracy, she decides to take matters into her own hands. But as their hunt for the beast takes a turn for the worse, the secret of her lineage may be the only thing that can save them.
Traitors arise, blood spills, and curses unfold on the Bitter Seas. Swarms of serpents and sea dragons prevent even the strongest from returning to the ashen Lone Empire. And in the dark hollows of Ethlinok, a legend begins to unravel."

I'm especially looking for betas/crit partners who are close to querying their own books. It'd be helpful if they were in the same genre but it is in no way necessary. I'm what some might call a Grammar Nazi, so what I'm more interested in (in terms of what type of edits you provide me) are characterization and plot/pacing. I'd be more than willing to be a beta in return. In fact, that would be remarkably fun. I'd love to form a good friendship with any and all of you! One can never have too many friends.

My book is currently in its third draft, and I hope to start querying sometime in September. Lovely to meet you all!

Last edited:

Taylor Kowalski

professional mountain troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mostlytaylor.com
Hi, I'm Taylor. I'd love to be a beta partner for you.

I plan to have my latest book, Dreaming of Crowds, revised and ready for querying by early to mid September. Right now, I'm still revising the second draft, though I expect to be done in a week or so.

If you're at all interested, here's a brief summary of the aforementioned book.

Atlas, a disenfranchised wolfboy, steals away from the safety and care of his master, a powerful mob boss named Florence Wilkes, for the wilds of the city. Or at least, that was the plan. A few buses, hitchhiked rides, and misdirections later, Atlas stumbles upon Rome County, Idaho, where he takes the guise of a stray and seeks refuge with the disjointed, dysfunctional Rhodes family. He only meant to lay low until Florence and her boys quit their hunt for him, but he finds himself unwilling to leave his new, odd little family. That is, until his past comes snuffling at his backdoor, and Atlas must choose between his own happiness and his family’s safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.