Ouch, my butt! My back! My Legs! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. This seemed like the appropriate forum.

I remedied, for the most part, back pain by purchasing a chair from Office Depot for like $30. I couldn't afford anything better, but it did offer lumbar support and my back fees a lot better. I've planted my feet firmly on the ground, and it helps too.

But what about my legs? My thighs feel weird and my knees ache like a bitch. I'm 28 years old and fairly thin, but I work in an office and then come home and write, and if I'm not writing, I'm playing Ni No Kuni or Dark Souls on the boob tube. My legs don't get much use unless I'm chasing my stupid dogs before they rip someones arm off, or if I'm browsing the MG section at B&N.

How do you guys deal with the physical hazards of being sedentary all the time? I don't have time to hit the gym (not if I want to get any writing done anyway), so I could use some recommendations on dealing with the pain. I googled it, but I prefer to here advice directly from the mouths of those who suffer from this.

P.S. - My gran died from complication with MS. She lost complete use of her legs by the time she was 50, about 4 years before she met her maker. My legs have been tingling and aching (with a deep rooted radiating pain) and swelling since I was a teen. I don't want to think I have some form of MS, but it does cross my mind time to time. My sight often plays tricks on me as well. I mention this because I'd rather blame my sedentary ass for the physical pain rather than a potential, and perhaps imaginary, ailment.

Recommendations HIGHLY appreciated. My bum thanks you.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First off, I am sorry you hurt so!

And, you are young enough that you can probably correct at least some of this fairly easily. I get it that you have to sit a lot, but I believe you could probably find a half hour a day to give your body some relief from sitting, in order to make sitting more tolerable over time.

I strongly suggest you investigate learning some easy and simple yoga stretches, and that you begin walking daily. Ten or fifteen minutes of each, over a few weeks time, should begin to make a difference.

I speak from the experience of a lifetime (I am 64) of sometimes getting appropriate exercise, and sometimes not. The combo of yoga and walking is the best I have found to counteract my usually sedentary preferences. Saying that to differentiate my comments from anything resembling "medical advice." :D

Good luck!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Kylabelle on this. The simple act of walking, incorporated into your daily life, can cure this.

Park farther out at work, every day. Take the stairs for the first or last flight to your workplace. Get up and go ask someone a question rather than email. When you run errands, again, park well away from the store. Get out on a ten minute walk with a canine pal every day.

That alone, without any conscious decision to exercise, might total up to the golden half-hour of walking we all need.

And the yoga stretches will keep your muscles and joints limber. As you age and get stiffer, this is going to matter. A lot.

Maryn, who walked five miles today

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I TOTALLY park the farthest everywhere I go. I live in an apartment, so I park the farthest I can and walk all the way here. Same goes for work. If I go shopping for any reason, I don't mind parking far. Personally, if you're going to shop, you're going to be walking for a long period of time, so I never understood why everyone waits for parking closer to the mall or supermarket. It baffles me.

But these instances are few. Also, I live in Miami. If it's not 90-something degrees out, it's raining, so I can't just decide to walk my dogs for long periods of time because I'll either melt, or... well, melt if I were the Wicked Witch. It's actually pouring as I'm writing this btw.

Ugh. As I write this, I feel like I'm making up excuses. I used to do yoga ,but my dog at my mat. :( When it stops raining, I'm going to take you guys' advice and invest in another one and maybe by a video. Gawd, it's like a combination of having no time to do things and being lazy when you do. What do you get when you are the opposite of proactive and lazy too? Are they the same things? OMG.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If it is due to something else in your case, the doctor might have other advice, but usually... what you need is to move. A few things you could try:

Take regular breaks to walk and stretch. Doing large chunks of exercise is good for your overall health, but it won't do much to alleviate problems from sitting down.

Get in the habit of fidgeting while you sit down. Tap your feet, stretch out your legs. This one is especially useful in an office where you may not be allowed to stand and stretch.

Don't sit down when you don't have to. For example, you can stand and stretch while you watch television. You can run on the spot while the kettle boils. Save sitting down for when you absolutely have to sit down.

Have a variety of cushions and a footrest, so you can vary your sitting positions. I have one of those pregnancy cushions with a hole in the middle and a bunch of normal cushions. My footrest is a cheap plastic box. So you can get set up for not too much money.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I schedule writing with housework or gardening. I write for two hours with a break to pull weeds, hoe around (that is hoe with an E), sort laundry, make beds, walk to the Post Office (It is 106 degrees here and I still manage to walk a block or two. I also walk my daughter's dog when I am staying in Hollywood,Florida. Trust me, you are not going to melt--et by a gator maybe, but not melt.) IF the house is more urgent than the writing I schedule two hours house work and try to do one hour of "creation" writing--draft stuff that does not have to be exact grammatically.

If I am writing something new I can usually think out a scene or a dialog while doing a chore. If I am deep into proofs or a final draft, one hour of writing just won't do it, so I tend to spend three or four hours on writing in a chunk but when I do that the house and I both suffer.

Stress is also a factor in a long-write situation so I try to do something relaxing (relaxing means something in a different location that has nothing to do with desk work) even when it means pulling myself away. I really do like to pull weeds--Swear to God,so I will set the stove timer and pull for X number of minutes. Or I take the neighbor's dog on a walk (a pre-arranged deal. I don't just steal her but I can get her when I want to walk.) or I walk over to pet a couple of horses in a corral about a quarter mile down the road. Sometimes I grab my camera and snap some pictures but this can be too much of a draw and drain hours instead of minutes.

Don't look at this as a waste of time. The stress can freeze you or deliver a debilitating head ache as much as the sitting, so you should completely change directions once a day. I teach school from September to May so I am pretty crunched for time and I notice that when I "get serious" and forget the breaks I also lose time because of headaches or getting behind on things that needed attention--like paper grading, bill paying, grandkid playing.

Just finished up a novel and now I am surrounded by half finished house and garden projects. The next week will be hell but I will be moving. I am 63 years old and still manage to patter around on my own steam.--s6

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Get or build a stand desk. Or, get a cheap treadmill and prop your lapttop on it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it sounds daunting, but really, walking can be done inside if the weather is bad. Simply making a circuit of the room(s) you are in works just fine. I have done this, a lot!

And the stretching, while it's good to get into a routine and daily practice and all that, can work just casually also. Stand up, take breaks, stretch in place. Do that every half hour for a while and see if it makes a difference.

I suspect it's the regularity of it that is going to help.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Also! Warm bath with salt and soda in the bathwater, soak for about 20 minutes. That can bring relief immediately. :)

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
How do you guys deal with the physical hazards of being sedentary all the time? I don't have time to hit the gym (not if I want to get any writing done anyway), so I could use some recommendations on dealing with the pain. I googled it, but I prefer to here advice directly from the mouths of those who suffer from this.

Yoga has been a huge help in keeping me from turning into a hunched-over desk crab. It's also greatly improved my focus, strength and confidence.

I practice at home with just a yoga mat and a free podcast. 20 minutes, four times a week.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
My legs ache if I don't move all day too, and I'm quite certain there's nothing wrong with me (other than the whole human slug thing). Walking at a good pace for half an hour really does cure it. And if I can manage it through a northeastern winter, you can probably suffer through Miami weather somehow. If the heat bothers you, do it at night. If it's raining, take an umbrella to keep it out of your eyes and enjoy the break from the heat.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Daniela,

If possible at work (like if no one's yelling at you to not leave your desk), set a little timer to go off (there are little programs you can get for your desktop or apps for your phone) every hour or so (or however often you need) to remind you to stretch while you're at work.

Can you rearrange the living room so you can put an exercise bike (if you keep an eye out you might be able to find something affordable on Craigslist) or something where you can see the TV? I sometimes bike while I play Skyrim... or I stretch during the screen loading times.

As someone said above, try standing at work or at home and see if that helps.

Get plenty of sleep and stay hydrated.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Being sedentary for long periods of time is now known to be a serious health concern. Apparently, even going to the gym and working out regularly won't undo the health problems associated with sitting for hours on end.

So I'd ditto JennOnTheIsland's suggestion to build a standing desk (even though I haven't done it myself yet.) If you do a search on Instructables, you can find cheap designs that people built from Ikea furniture, cinder blocks, etc. Someone I talked to who had switched to a standing desk said you will hate it with a searing crimson passion for a few days, dislike it for a few more, and then, after about a week, not even think about the fact that you're standing up to work anymore.

You'll also want a comfy mat to stand on, but hey, you need a new yoga mat anyway, right?

I'll also ditto those who have said that yoga helps a lot. A weekly class completely solved a hip pain issue I was having due to too much sitting.

And finally, I'll note that even if you've tweaked your workspace, it may not be tweaked enough. I'm six feet tall and have a coworker who is 5'3". She's on leave right now, and I'm using her desk, and it is totally provoking the old ouchy-hip thing again. There's nothing overtly uncomfortable about sitting at her desk, yet sitting there all day adds up to some serious pain for me. (Guess I need to enrol in yoga again...)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I stand at my school desk most of the day, rarely sit, especially when I have a class. Drives the kids nuts. I also climb stairs several times a day, even when not entirely necessary. I have watched too many of my contemporaries freeze up like the Tin Man--s6

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys deal with the physical hazards of being sedentary all the time?

By being active.

The modern sedentary lifestyle is very bad for the human animal.

ps - I don't go the gym because it's boring and awful. But I do plenty of other things, and only things that I really find fun. Find something - anything - you like and do that. Start small, keep trying new things.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add another vote for yoga and walking, plus I'll throw in a plug for good nutrition. Perhaps the ache in your legs is caused by a nutritional lack as well as an exercise lack?

My company starting offering free yoga classes at the beginning of the year. I've taken advantage of them and am amazed at the progress I've made in just a few months. Doing yoga for an hour twice a week has greatly improved my strength and flexibility, not to mention my posture. It's a great stress reliever, too. No matter how frazzled I am when I go to class, I'm mellow when I leave. I've also got more energy in general.

On weekends I go walking. My neighborhood is hilly, so I can get a good workout. This is a great time to work out plot problems while also burning some calories and toning muscles. I always stick paper and pen into my pocket before heading out.

I think mainly you'll have to commit to some form of gentle exercise on a regular basis to see results. It doesn't have to be a grueling daily workout in a gym, but it should be more purposeful than just getting in extra steps during the day.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I see a trend in your responses: sedentary bad. Yoga good. Try sanding desk.

I do my best thinking when I pace, so sometimes I'll get up and walk, fold clothes or something, then run to my computer and type the thought.

Standing for long periods of time irks the crap out of me. I can't stand in an idle position for more than 10 minutes before my brain tells me to sit the frack down.

This standing desk thing sounds interesting though. So I just prop my laptop on something tall where I can write? What's the difference between standing idly and sitting idly? Is that a blood flow thing? I feel like my back will start hurting sooner or later if I stand, but I suppose I can condition myself. I HATE MY BONES!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a blood flow thing but more than that it is a skeletal alignment thing. Which means everything connected to the skeleton is also affected. I had a chiropractor tell me once that sitting is basically bad for us no matter how we do it. According to him, the skeleton is just not designed for extended periods of sitting. Running, walking, standing, lying down, all good. Sitting, bad.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to address your aside comment first--please consider discussing the tingling/pain and vision issues with your doctor. It would be reassuring to find that it's nothing to be concerned with, but if it is, it would be good to start treatment as soon as you can. I have two friends currently battling MS. One got their diagnosis at an age a good 10-15 years younger than the other--at the very first signs of numbness, etc. Between medication, diet and exercise (Jillian Michaels DVD's), this friend is still able to operate at essentially the same degree as at the time of diagnosis (brain scans show no new lesions). The other friend was already experience a much greater degree of impairment. Now uses a cane full time, etc. The diagnosis took much longer and came much later so the damage already done was more extensive. This friend is also having success in not progressing into further degrees of impairment. That's good, but how much better would it have been if they'd discovered it 10 years sooner? I hope you won't let your fear of the disease keep you from seeking appropriate diagnosis/treatment.

Parental lecture aside, I developed hip issues at one particular job. I thought perhaps it was the onset of arthritis that has plagued much of my family (just my turn). After seeing a pattern of the pain going away over the weekend when I was off work and returning when I went back, I figured that it must be something about my work set-up. I noticed that the majority of the office chairs had that square of extra padding around the edges, rather than being essentially flat and curving downward where your legs hang down. When I switched to a flatter chair (one that didn't squish my hips inward), the pain/numbness went away.

It is hard to find chairs that don't have that extra padding. I don't know why they're designed that way, but I avoid them like the plague.

I agree with others that you might consider making a standing/walking desk. I'd bet you can find inexpensive treadmills on Craigslist. Then you could get some exercise (indoors, not a gym) and do your writing/gaming too.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've lived in Tucson and now live in western New York state. where winter is serious. I walk all year long, so I can't buy into "It's hot!" or "It's raining!"

You can walk at 6:30 a.m. when it's only 82, or with an umbrella and ancient sneakers while it pours, or slow and careful on ice.

I concur with a lot of the advice here--moving at least once an hour, having many positions in which you sit, the standing desk, moving while you do other necessities like cook or make phone calls, stretching, yoga.

My brother is three years older than me. He's been sedentary all his adult life. I was, too, until my late 30s, when I joined a gym for a decade or so. I quit that long ago, doing walking and housework as my exercise. And while my brother's gait is old and his posture suggests pain and infirmity, I'm still pretty spry.

If you want to feel good for the many years of your adult life, you have to cultivate good habits. Moving is one of the more important ones.

Maryn, who's got her feet up--but was crawling around trying to fix the CPU for a good 45 minutes

BDavidHughes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bdavidhughes.com
How bad is it that my first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "Whoops...someone forgot their safeword"? :D

I hope your pain eases.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Daneilla,

I work a sedentary job. To get rid of the stiffness that comes with sitting in a perfectly fine chair at work and my office chair at home:

Three mornings a week I go to the gym and do upper/lower body weight training and walk three miles.

I run 2-3 times a week.

I walk the other 2-3 days when I'm not at the gym or out running.

In other words, I move every day.

I admit I am a bit obsessive about my exercise, but I think it's important to move every day if you can. It really does help cut down on the leg, butt, back soreness. :)

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
But what about my legs? My thighs feel weird and my knees ache like a bitch. I'm 28 years old and fairly thin, but I work in an office and then come home and write, and if I'm not writing,

I use some of these tricks on long car trips, which amount to the same thing. Ever since I spent four years on molded fiberglas seats in college, I've had butt and leg problems while sitting for long periods.

Force yourself to get up and move around every 15 minutes. Use a timer. Even walking twice around your chair.

Support pantihose. (Yes, even if you're a guy. Who's looking?)

'Airplane exercises'. Tense the muscles of your legs in a specific order. Repeat until it's a habit. Use your thighs to briefly raise your butt off the chair.

Use a soft cushion or better, an electric massaging cushion.

Your chair may not be helping as much as you think. I finally sprang for a $300 executive's office chair with a high back and adjustable height. You can also get them from used office equipment stores.

Get a short stool and use the mouse on the short stool rather than up on the table. If your upper arm hangs straight down when you use the mouse, you've got it right. This is very important, even for your back and legs.

Take a baby aspirin every day to lessen the risk of deep vein thrombosis.

Take quinine tablets or drink tonic water (which contains quinine).

Legal Disclaimer: not a doctor or qualified professional. Everything I said here is a lie.

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
Get or build a stand desk. Or, get a cheap treadmill and prop your lapttop on it.

Stand desks are great! Pricey though. You may be able to find (or build for that matter) a lectern that would work. Doesn't have to be the whole time you write, just enough to provide positional variety.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Standing too long can produce widened veins. I vote against standing as a cure for sitting too long.

Walking doesn't have to be long - 15 min power walking is a minimum which can keep your juices flowing.

Sedentary lifestyle causes blood to stay in one place, tissues get less oxygen, start tingling and aching, necks and backs lose muscular support as muscles weaken, nerves and tendons start wondering around and getting stuck in places they don't belong, and people suddenly discover pain.

Simple exercises which serve me:

1. While sitting on desk - stand your feet on their toes. Hold. Stand then on their heels. Hold. Do for 2-3 minutes - this makes the calves and thighs get a minimum of tissue and blood movement

2. Flail your arms above your head like a psycho for a minute. Again - a minimum of blood and tissue movement. Do that often enough, and the veins on the back of your hands will not be always those of a sinister crone.

3. Strengthen your lower back: lie on back and lift butt in air by making 90% angle with knees. Hold. Do at least 5 times. Feel the muscle columns on both sides of spine strain. They are supposed to keep all disks in place. This helps them stay strong.

4. Slowly and carefully, while standing, legs apart shoulder wide, tilt your head left and right and back and forward for a minute - keep the neck flexible.

If you do all that every day, you will keep the chair's evil magic at bay. It's a question of developing a habit, like tooth brushing.

Also, why not pop broad spectrum vitamins and minerals ten days a month? Just in case? One never knows how much good stuff there really is in today's carrots and apples. An added boost from time to time, but only from time to time, makes a lot of sense.

Unmentioned possible bad habits:

- Foods: better not snack or drink sugary sodas or alcohol while writing, if you do - cut it out now, while you still can. If a behavior program is fully formed, and evens starts producing publishable stuff, you won't be able to meddle anymore and you'll be stuck with having to stuff yourself with sugars and transfats to keep your output alive.

- Smoking: if yes, cut down to 5 a day immediately. Easier than people think. Today's science says there's no difference between five cigarettes or five packs - in both cases you instantly fall to the floor a reeking, tentacle-flailing mess of corrupted DNA, bitterly sorry you didn't get a fashionable mood-stabilizing prescription instead. Maybe. But from the point of view of the respiratory and heart and circulation systems, the difference between even 5 and 10 cigarettes is astounding.

- Drugs: play safe and never daily. Speed is to be used thrice a lifetime when there's no other choice to make the deadline, not all the time, and certainly not for partying too.

Good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.