Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a big comic book geek and have always really enjoyed the DC Animated Universe (DCAU) like Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League: Unlmited, Batman Beyond, etc.

Anyway, even though their live-action films are hit-or-miss, DC has excelled at creating high quality animated films.

This one was just released this week and is available for streaming rental on Xbox Live, among other places. I never read the comic miniseries story arc it was based on but knew about the story line but, I gotta say, this was one of their best animated efforts to date, if not the best.

Very good story, decent animation (though I wasn't a huge fan of how some of the characters...mainly Superman and Aquaman..were drawn) but not their best, and a nice dark tone and mood (which is required, given the story). Plenty of cartoon blood and death, too. ;) But, I will warn you, if you watch it, it's pretty intense. I'm surprised it got a PG-13 rating. It skirts very close to an R with some of its brutality (two scenes in particular, come to mind). Maybe it got off easier because it's animated. *shrug*

The director, Jay Oliva, seems to have helmed this one expertly and Jim Krieg penned a good story, cutting the fat from the comic story where necessary. I liked the score, too, which is something I usually don't notice much in animated films.

Anyone else seen this yet or am I the only geek here?

For anyone who likes these movies, I strongly recommend this one.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to check it out! Their All-Star SUperman creation was good enough to get me to read All-Star Superman. THANK YOU.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning this. I'll check it out. I'm also a JLU geek and have most of the animated movies around. Justice League: DOOM was quite good, and All-Star Superman was excellent although I didn't like the way they drew Superman in it. Liked it even less in Superman/Batman: Apokolips. Best script was Superman vs the Elite...but the animation? Ick.

I'll look this up.

ETA: Just started watching it. Do NOT like the way Superman or Aquaman are drawn at all, and they made Wonder Woman look sort of weird. Good animation i.e. movement, and a good storyline.

ETA 2: Pretty good storyline. Voice work was good, especially Kevin Conroy (as always), Vanessa Marshall, and Grey DeLisle. Animation was fine, even spectacular at times. Pretty bloody, especially for a DC animated film, and the tone was dark, but it kept my interest and would buy it if they offered it on sale here (Japan). Worth watching.

Noted at the end that 'Justice League: War' is next out and that should be a good one.

Question for the JLU faithful. Which voice do you prefer for Superman, Tim Daly or George Newbern? I listened to Mark Valley's voice in one film and he wasn't bad at all, but I prefer the first two. Thoughts, please?

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else seen this yet or am I the only geek here?

You're the only geek. I'm not a grown women who is more obsessed with Batman than she was when she was a little girl, so I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Seriously, though, the animated features are one thing that DC clearly has over Marvel. I've enjoyed all of them. Justice League: Doom was excellent, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
ETA: Just started watching it. Do NOT like the way Superman or Aquaman are drawn at all, and they made Wonder Woman look sort of weird. Good animation i.e. movement, and a good storyline.
Agreed. The way they drew Supes and Aquaman was bad. They both looked ridiculous.

Question for the JLU faithful. Which voice do you prefer for Superman, Tim Daly or George Newbern? I listened to Mark Valley's voice in one film and he wasn't bad at all, but I prefer the first two. Thoughts, please?
I prefer Tim Daly, but probably because he was "first" (in Superman: TAS). I think Newbern does a great job, too, and sounds nearly identical to Daly, so much so that I didn't really notice the transition to him in the Justice League cartoons. Had no idea when I first heard him that he was the dude from Father of the Bride, either, haha.

Sam Daly, Tim's son, was the voice in this one and I didn't like him as much.

And, of course, Kevin Conroy *IS* Batman and, even though others have done decent jobs, it never feels like Batman to me when anyone else does the voice. But, in this film, it was totally understandable for Flashpoint Bats to be voiced by someone else, since it was Thomas Wayne and not Bruce.

Anyone seen Superman/Batman: Public Enemies? It was also pretty good though not on par with Doom.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. The way they drew Supes and Aquaman was bad. They both looked ridiculous.

I prefer Tim Daly, but probably because he was "first" (in Superman: TAS). I think Newbern does a great job, too, and sounds nearly identical to Daly, so much so that I didn't really notice the transition to him in the Justice League cartoons. Had no idea when I first heard him that he was the dude from Father of the Bride, either, haha.

Sam Daly, Tim's son, was the voice in this one and I didn't like him as much.

And, of course, Kevin Conroy *IS* Batman and, even though others have done decent jobs, it never feels like Batman to me when anyone else does the voice. But, in this film, it was totally understandable for Flashpoint Bats to be voiced by someone, since it was Thomas Wayne and not Bruce.

Anyone seen Superman/Batman: Public Enemies? It was also pretty good though not on par with Doom.

--

Agree on all your points. Didn't know that Sam Daly was Tim's son, but should have guessed there was some kind of connection. And yes, Kevin Conroy IS Batman.

As for Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, I enjoyed it even though it differed from the graphic novel in some ways. The movie was basically just one long fight although the fight sequences were awesome as was the music. Dynamic opening theme.

Some quibbled that they were drawn too muscular. There's a marked difference in the style between SBPE and, say, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earth's. That is also a very well-done movie and the story is excellent. To me, superheroes are supposed to look powerfully built, but they went a tad overboard in the Public Enemies movie. JMO.

It's worth a watch, though. Now, I'm waiting for War.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'm rather bummed to find out that none of the usual voice actors will be returning in Justice League: War.

No Tim Daly or George Newbern as Superman. No Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern. No Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman.

And no Kevin Conroy as Batman?!

:(

Le sigh.

Totally lame.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rather bummed to find out that none of the usual voice actors will be returning in Justice League: War.

No Tim Daly or George Newbern as Superman. No Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern. No Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman.

And no Kevin Conroy as Batman?!

:(

Le sigh.

Totally lame.

---

Really? That is a shame. I suppose they have to go for newer and fresher blood--eventually--but no Michael Rosenbaum or Neil Patrick Harris for Flash, no Newburn or Daly or even Mark Valley for Superman, no Nate Fillion or Susan Eisenberg or Vanessa Marshall?

Unless the script sucks, this is a big mistake. Kids these days--and older geeks like me--know who does the best voices. When I bought some of the early JL vids for my kids back in Toronto a few years back, I saw a boy, maybe ten years old, checking out the back cover. He looked at me and said, "I wanna know who's doing Batman and Green Lantern". If a kid can be that discerning--and kids are way smarter than people think--then maybe DC ought to listen up.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I watched it a few days ago. It was okay. And I really don't like watching Batman unless he's voiced by Kevin Conroy. Of course, I'd done just finished a JL and JLU marathon coupled with season 1 of TNBA (don't judge me, I'm on break). So it's hard to compare anything to the awesomeness that is those three (and Batman Beyond).

I liked the fight scenes. The story was solid. I usually prefer Wally West for Flash, but Barry Allen was entertaining. Watching Wonder Woman beat the life out of Aquaman was the highlight of the film for me. That, and seeing Batman use a gun. Not sure if I'll read the comic as I've never been a huge Flash fan.

It's funny cause I've never really cared about the voices of any of the characters except for Batman and the Joker. They will always be Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. But the rest? Eh. Unless John Stewart and Hawk Girl are getting their own movies, the voice actors for the rest of the league have never really been attached to specific people. If we talk Teen Titans, now that's completely different. I was so disappointed in YJ with Robin's voice (Jesse McCartney).

Maybe that's why I don't like the numerous Batman movies that've come out recently. And the animation also turns me off. Sigh. Sometimes I wish I hadn't grown up watching all of the original DCU animated series. Static Shock, JL, JLU, Batman Beyond, and the Batman/Superman adventures have forever made an impression on my mind as to what the characters are supposed to look like.