Not open for further replies.

Donnie Marsh

DÈẴƊ ḈỂƝŦƐȐ ƉËẪḒ
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donniemarsh.com
At least that's what Judy accused me of.

I went to booktrib.com to see about getting my memoir reviewed.

My initial email:

Dear HulaMonkey,

I have a self-published memoir entitled you can't take it with you when you die due out August 8th. How do I go about getting it reviewed from any of the reviewers?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Blue Skies,
Donnie Marsh

Two days later a response:

Donnie,

Thanks for touching base. While searching for information about your book, as we do with any author, title we are not familiar with, the only info we found was numerous comments about plagiarism on Goodreads. Can't find much else.

I think we will pass.
Good Luck,
-j.

WHAT?
My reply:

[Name removed],

Please cite your information on supposed plagiarism. You have really piqued my curiosity as the book hasn't even been released yet! If there were tons of comments on plagiarism, my book surely wouldn't still be listed in a giveaway, nor on the site at all.

Here's the result of plagiarism on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17673542-amazingly-broken

Here's the result of an honest (and now offended) author's listing on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18164838-you-can-t-take-it-with-you-when-you-die

I look forward to your citations. In fact, I look more forward to those than I do for the book to even be released on August 8th.

Sincerely,
Donnie Marsh

And here she comes:

Donnie Marsh (Author of you can't take it with you when you die)
www.goodreads.com/author/show/7162194.Donnie_Marsh‎
Jun 3, 2013 - Donnie Marsh is the author of you can't take it with you when you die (0.0 avg ... This author plagiarized Tammara Webber's Easy and Jamie ...

The full comments were in place yesterday - in fact there were multiple comments when I went to this link yesterday. Seeing these kind of comments is a yellow flag for us.
…and yes the book can still be listed in a giveaway and many places.

Send me press release and I will talk with the team to look into it Just so you are aware, featuring a book on BookTrib is a fee based situation. $350. We can not guarantee the Review Crew will select a featured book for review - we do not pay for reviews. The reviews are the opinion of the Review Crew Member and their opinion is their opinion. They only see titles and synopsis when making their selection.

Let me know if you would like for me to move forward for you,
-j.

:roll:

[Name removed],
You're kidding me. So from the time you called me a plagiarist to emailing me back, the comments (multiple, even!) have been deleted? Don't feel like an asshole; I couldn't find them either. I'm sure it's because neither of us had our morning coffee and smoke and not because they didn't exist in the first place. You copy and paste some garbage that I linked you to? Come on, yo.

Here you go Detective J: http://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/the-plagiarizing-of-tammara-webbers-easy-by-jordin-williams/

Romance novels, J? Did you even read the synopsis of my memoir? It's on losing people to failed friendships, relationships and death. I am sure in those two books stolen from in that article there isn't an essay on the relationship between a mother and her son over several Christmases. Wait, you caught me, J. There is an essay entitled "Sex" in my book. That must be where I stored most of the stolen material. Because in those romance novels, there are definitely scenes where a boy of seven has his penis touched and sucked by a twenty-one-year-old man. He also yearns, at twelve, to have sex with a man in his thirties. Then he loses his virginity at twelve to a girl of ten. I'm sorry, J. I was harsh on you. Those stories are definitely in those romance novels. There's even a story in my book I stole from those books on how I severed ties with a friend at nine because he raped a dog and forced me to call someone--whom would eventually be my best childhood friend--a nigger. I also had to pay him $5 every weekend to be in his club or he would beat me up. Definite romance-novel material. I had incredible sex with a guy in college and then he found Jesus and told me I was going to Hell. Is that in either of those books?

No.

I have never been so offended in my entire life. You win the cake for that one. You should be proud. Kiss your son with the mouth of shit you're choking on.
$350? No. I wouldn't let you do anything for me even if it was for free at this point. I know how much the fee is because I went to your parent company website to launch a complaint. Of course you probably share office space so the joke is probably on me. $350 buys nothing anyhow but a video the author makes in their home, with you, Judy, asking most of the questions and gets maybe 300 average views for the year, save for Gabaldon's. I can make my own video, thanks.

How did I even hear of BookTrib? Susanna Sonnenberg's video. Hey, wait J! There's sex and cocaine in her fist book Her Last Death! Maybe I plagiarized Susanna instead of the romance novels. In fact, Susanna has asked for a copy of my book so that would be even more bold on my part. Maybe, just for you Detective J, I'll attach a note: "Susanna, I hope you enjoy this poor reworking of your books. Donnie!"

Even if I felt $350 was well-spent, what would I tell my friends and colleagues? "Yes, guys, this is the same woman that accused me of plagiarism." No.

I chose to self-publish, J. I had an agent (and an interested major publisher!) at one time. I didn't even have to query. I found her at a well-respected writer's conference. She's no small potatoes either. I've never been published anywhere to this day and I haven't even tried. Never once did I send something out. I don't have to. I'm not a starving artist who feels they need to publish in anything that will have them. I was one of the "Lucky Ones." It was I that said, "No." to the agent and publisher. They wanted to sign me to a two-book deal and I wouldn't surrender the second book. I had to wait my contract out with the agent to self-publish. I'm doing things on my terms, Detective J. Mine. That includes not taking shit from uninformed snobs like you. You better hope my voice doesn't get louder than yours someday. You can't even hurt me with these emails in the future because I have zero interest in major publishers. I won't even let a major touch anything I write.

You have no recourse. At this point, I don't even care for the apology because it's beyond a flagrant offense. It's not even something that could be taken lightly; calling me a plagiarist when the book isn't even out yet. Don't even say, "Maybe we got off on the wrong foot." Because Detective J, I will steal and send back a remark from Erin Brockovich: "That's all you've got, lady. Two wrong feet and fucking ugly shoes."

The Plagiarist,
Donnie Marsh

No response, of course.

Last edited:

MarkBern

Banned
Reaction score
Did you actually send that? If so, good for you. People will probably suggest not indulging in that sort of behaviour, but I say it feels great once in a while.

Donnie Marsh

DÈẴƊ ḈỂƝŦƐȐ ƉËẪḒ
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donniemarsh.com
Hell yes I sent it. She lost her damn mind. I mean, if the accusations are true, BACK THEM UP.

I think the most offensive thing a writer can be called is a plagiarist.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
In business, there's a saying. Do you want the business, or do you want to be right?

There are ways to be ethical and to stand your ground, both in a professional manner, without turning confrontational.

There are all manner of ways that could have happened. She could have been exactly what you described. Or there was a typo somewhere.

The only thing you'll know for sure now is that they won't review your book.

You're the one to decide if it was worth it, but it could have been handled differently.

Donnie Marsh

DÈẴƊ ḈỂƝŦƐȐ ƉËẪḒ
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donniemarsh.com
I did ask her to back her accusations up. As she said, there were plenty of comments. Ok? Where? So instead of admitting she screwed up, she tells me I have the option to pay $350? No.

I don't want her or anyone else there reviewing my book anyhow. And sure as hell not for $350. That's extortion.

MarkBern

Banned
Reaction score
Some bridges are worth burning.

Once burned, it can be worth collecting all the ashes and pissing on them.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm going to rather harsh and say that was unprofessional of you.

What I can kinda deduce from this is that possibly Goodreads screwed up somehow, and you could have cleared things up. But... you resorted to ranting and assaulting the other person.

IMO, what you should have done is just stop emailing that person. It's better to step away in cases like this.

MarkBern, in a professional setting I don't believe it's worth the trouble to take things personally and possibly hurt the other person's feeling. Burn bridges all you want, but your actions do have consequences outside of your control.

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think she might have made a mistake in the beginning, and it probably would have been best if she had apologized for that mistake, but I think that was a lot of energy wasted writing that email to her.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not seeing where she accused you of plagiarism. I can see where she said there are (or were) comments accusing you of it - but I don't see her making the accusation.

Last edited:

Donnie Marsh

DÈẴƊ ḈỂƝŦƐȐ ƉËẪḒ
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donniemarsh.com
Sorry, but I'm going to rather harsh and say that was unprofessional of you.

What I can kinda deduce from this is that possibly Goodreads screwed up somehow, and you could have cleared things up. But... you resorted to ranting and assaulting the other person.

IMO, what you should have done is just stop emailing that person. It's better to step away in cases like this.

MarkBern, in a professional setting I don't believe it's worth the trouble to take things personally and possibly hurt the other person's feeling. Burn bridges all you want, but your actions do have consequences outside of your control.

I wasn't worried whether or not she feels I'm professional. I'm still not.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry I read this last night and subscribed cause I didn't want to miss the action.

I totally can understand how you feel about being accused of plagiarism, but man, that wasn't good to do that...not in the least. These people know people and they talk. The internet is the easiest and fastest way to talk talk talk...express yourself as Madonna would say. But in all honesty, you need to choose your words wisely, when in writing AND in your communication with editors, agents, bloggers, reviewers you name it. You don't want to get blacklisted for the things you do and say to people. They won't want to work with an author that rants like that.

It should have been a short email saying, sorry about the miscommunication, I don't want to go ahead with the review, thank you for your time. And that's it. You will feel much better walking away that way instead of blowing up like that.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
With Undercover's wise advice, I'm closing this... 1) We don't bring shit storms from other sites here. 2) Posting private communications between correspondents, one of whom has no earthly idea s/he's being flayed in a public forum and cannot, therefore, mount a defense, is - at best - unwise and reflects more on the Bringer than the Brought. And 3), being on the periphery of my radar is probably not the best place for someone to be. Being dead center of it is likely worse.

Take some time, Donnie, to review the FAQs relating to participation in Absolute Write.

Status
Not open for further replies.