Lulu vs Lightning Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about lulu vs LSI. Lulu will convert the files for you so they are "print ready." LSI requires that you have the files already in a print ready status. Also, Lulu will give you an ISBN for $35. With LSI you have to buy your own in a block of 10 for $250.

My question is this: Could you use Lulu to get your ms and cover in a print ready status, get your ISBN, then use those three things (ms, cover, ISBN) over at LSI?

Thanks in advance for your help!

KP99

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
kappapi99 said:
My question is this: Could you use Lulu to get your ms and cover in a print ready status, get your ISBN, then use those three things (ms, cover, ISBN) over at LSI?

You can work out the kinks on lulu, but you can't use their ISBN, since it will identify lulu as the publisher.

Edit: You might want to peruse the lulu forums, which are extensive. They answer this very question the same way I did. As for using lulu for conversion, I think it would be better to get the software and do it yourself. There's free software out there that prints to a pdf file. You can find a list of them at lulu under Formatting, Uploading, and Converting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

If you're sure you're going to self-publish, I'd look at Lulu and one or two local printers.

Lightning Source, with whom I've worked in the past, is not set up to deal with clients who are not fairly knowledgeable about printing. It's also expensive.

The other virtue of Lulu is that they handle distribution for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.