Taking my own photo-Public buildlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I want a slapdash cover for a free read on my blog, and I have the perfect image in my mind. The image, though, involves a picture of a university.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but can I get in trouble for having a picture of a public university on a book cover, even if I don't include the logo or name of the school in the image?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have zero idea how all this works.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yep, depending on the angle. If you take a picture from a public sidewalk, you should be fine. But the university can object (if they ever notice) if you take a picture from the quad or in other areas reserved for students and faculty.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
In regards to public domain and structures in the public eye:

Title 17 U.S.C. § 120 deals with the scope of exclusive rights in architectural works. The law in relevant part, at 17 U.S.C. § 120(a), states as follows:

Pictorial representations permitted. The copyright in an architectural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing, or public display of pictures, paintings, photographs, or other pictorial representations of the work, if the building in which the work is embodied is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.

I would think you'd be safe as long as your work doesn't make it appear the university is aligned with any objectionable ideas. Also, avoid and edit out signs that would be construed as a part of the university's brand.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The stock agencies I submit to do not allow pictures of specific buildings, only larger scenes in which buildings appear (like a skyline cityscape with multiple buildings). I don't know the legal reasoning for this.

MarkBern

Banned
Reaction score
There's a big difference of using a photo of any person or thing for commercial use and personal or journalistic use. A book cover is commercial use, and the safe bet is to get a property release for identifiable buildings. A lot of people ignore this sort of thing, but if you want to get down to the letter of the law, you most likely need a release to use the image you have in mind. In reality, for a free publication, no one is going to hassle you if you don't show the name of the university.

Each country and state has its own specific laws surrounding this issue, so if you really want to know, you'll have to look it up for your area.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I'll play it safe and get a new idea for my cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.