Stargate SG-1

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
Stargate SG-1

Stargate SG-1 is the first show that brought me online.

Stargate fans, where are you hiding?! :chair

:e2grouphu

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Stargate fan.
It was the first sci-fi show I really got into and it also brought me online and into the world of online message boards.

I don't quite share your enthusiasm with it, I wouldn't call it the greatest sci-fi show ever. Honestly don't think I would put it in the top five. But it was certainly a fun show and it does have a place in my heart as being my first science fiction :)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I love Stargate. I loved the movie when it came out. I loved SG1, Atlantis and Universe. I made a D&D campaign based on a fantasy version of the Stargates.

I think Season 4 of SG1 is my favorite for good episodes.
Upgrades
Window of Opportunity
Point of No Return
Tangent

Good stuff.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I liked it - but best show ever? No way.

Star Trek TOS, Quatermass, X-Files, Fringe, Dr. Who, The Prisoner, Babylon 5 and several others are all above it on my all time list.

So there! :tongue

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I like it but disagree that it's the best ever.

It's on my list but definitely far behind the Ronald Moore reboot of BSG.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Stargate, prior to the Ori storyline, had the chance for a "perfect" ending, but they blew it when they put off the spin-off to include SG-1 in the Ori stuff. The fishing final scene in season 7 nailed it. The only thing I would have changed would have been to have Jack's now grown son, and Daniel's wife come out of the cabin like they'd never died and were part of the group.

One of my favorite shows of all time.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't really get into Stargate SG-1. Mind you, it was entertaining but I got distracted because I don't think they handled exposition very well in the first season at least. It felt like infodumping around a conference room table. Personally, I think Babylon 5 handled exposition a lot better by presenting the information in a voice-over during an action scene that was related to what was being said.

I agree - Stargate could've ended after they finished the Go'uld storyline. The Ori storyline felt tacked on in order to continue the series. That and they brought on Claudia Black and Ben Browder at this time in order to appeal to the Farscape fans.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I think Stargate is great, both SG1 and Atlantis. However, that other crap they put out was not good.

There is a Stargate thread around here somewhere. I may dig it out later and merge it with this. Or not. We shall see how it goes.

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
I agree there. I always hoped they'd go on and do a Star Trek type run with all their spin offs. Then they did Universe and then it just abruptly ended and took the rest of Stargate with it.

I think Stargate is the greatest because I love it the most. It's what I identify with being a fan of first. It's a little like loving your first Doctor from Doctor Who. Maybe favorite is a better descriptor. As I said, only other shows that come close for me were Babylon 5(after season 1) and Deep Space Nine. SG1/SGA made a great combo. I fell in love with that spin off.

I've always been harsh on SGU, not really sure why they ripped away how the show was to make it so dark and gloomy, but I didn't hate it. It just didn't have the fun feel. I always felt SG1/SGA handled the campy/humor/fun of it great with the drama/action/adventure beats. SGU felt draining, but I still tuned in every week.

Didn't help that MGM went bankrupt? and put any plans on making new Stargate on the shelf.

eleutheria

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely adored SG-1. Funnily enough, though, I got really into after getting really into SGA. I watched it so often I could identify which episode I was watching within five seconds - I would flip channels and go, "Yep. Window of Opportunity," and keep going. My mom was really amazed. ;)

I loved it so much, I think, because it was fun. It had a positive view of the world - there were troubles and bad people and bad politicians, but overall I felt happier at the end of an episode. That was the aspect that I think made me hate SGU so much. It had lost the magic by changing the feel of it. :)

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely adored SG-1. Funnily enough, though, I got really into after getting really into SGA. I watched it so often I could identify which episode I was watching within five seconds - I would flip channels and go, "Yep. Window of Opportunity," and keep going. My mom was really amazed. ;)

I loved it so much, I think, because it was fun. It had a positive view of the world - there were troubles and bad people and bad politicians, but overall I felt happier at the end of an episode. That was the aspect that I think made me hate SGU so much. It had lost the magic by changing the feel of it. :)

Yeah. The magic of it all was gone. It went for dark/gritty with a property that had done SO well being lighthearted and fun while being dramatic/moving.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mind the dark and gritty in SG:U because they still had a bit of humor in it due to Eli, the nerdy genius college student. I think the producers went with the dark/gritty aspect of it because Ronald Moore's BSG was a hit. Personally I think SG:U did dark/gritty better the Moore's BSG simply because they did put some humor in it. (No offense to anyone who liked RM's BSG.)

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
I always enjoyed the humour in Stargate SG1. Though I've never felt compelling SF lurve for it.

But you have made me think about those SF shows that have prompted SF lurve.

So here's a wee list. Babylon Five seasons 2-4 inclusive. Early X-Files. Fringe seasons 1-3. The Walking Dead seasons 1 and what I've seen of 3 (I'm counting this as SF/horror and not supernatural, no spoilers please). BSG seasons 1 and 2. Star Trek:TOS seasons 1 and 2. Space 1999 season 1.

I'm sure lots more, but that's what comes to mind right now.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the telepath plot is a bit drippy, but it has two of my favorite subplots ever: Londo's ascendent/decent into becoming Emperor, and the simple fact that it is easy to get everyone to work together when there is a huge threat to face or a big problem to deal with. It is a lot harder to get people to work together when all that stuff is taken away.

I liked that the founding of the ISA required a lot of struggle, pain, and underhanded political dealings and generally hard work. It felt nice and realistic. Plus, it has the final episode - Sleeping in the Light - which is easily one of the most heart wrenching episodes of TV I've ever seen.

All in all, it's a whole lot better than that weird Oreo plot from Stargate...

Though, incidentally, I was watching Farscape as I watched Stargate (both on Netflix) and so, suddenly, the characters on Farscape were in my Stargate! It was very very peculiar.

...and Farscape was already weird enough.

AND AWESOME, BY THE WAY.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Mark me as a SG-1 fan, though I think they should have ended it with the end of the Go'auld. The Ori were just ... no.

Really wish they'd let Atlantis play out more than five seasons.

Really do prefer Babylon 5 over both, though. Ivanova was definitely the woman to fear. :) Plus Londo, and G'Kar, and Bester, and Garibaldi ...

Yeah, those were the golden years of sci fi tv...

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Well, the telepath plot is a bit drippy, but it has two of my favorite subplots ever: Londo's ascendent/decent into becoming Emperor, and the simple fact that it is easy to get everyone to work together when there is a huge threat to face or a big problem to deal with. It is a lot harder to get people to work together when all that stuff is taken away.

I liked that the founding of the ISA required a lot of struggle, pain, and underhanded political dealings and generally hard work. It felt nice and realistic. Plus, it has the final episode - Sleeping in the Light - which is easily one of the most heart wrenching episodes of TV I've ever seen.

All in all, it's a whole lot better than that weird Oreo plot from Stargate...

Though, incidentally, I was watching Farscape as I watched Stargate (both on Netflix) and so, suddenly, the characters on Farscape were in my Stargate! It was very very peculiar.

...and Farscape was already weird enough.

AND AWESOME, BY THE WAY.

Can't watch the end of Season 5 without crying. Every. Time. The last 3 eps....:cry:

B5 is one of those shows that improves with re-watching because you catch the tiny foreshadowing nuggets JMS put in there that you might've forgotten were important the first time through. My other half gets twitchy if he doesn't re-watch the series once a year.

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
The arc in the middle of Babylon 5 is some of the greatest episode after episode story telling I've ever watched. It keeps flowing and building and there are conclusions and more questions and great tragedies and great successes and the war.

I want to do a SG1 rewatch, but I've seen the episodes so many times that the last time I tried I got bored/sick with it 'cause almost every episode I know the beginning and end of and most of the middle bits by heart.

I might try rewatching SGU... but it's just not the same.

reiver33

Monolithic
Registered
Reaction score
Post season 7 of SG-1 is 'OK' - I'm watching it on UK TV at present as I misse dit the first time round - but I agree they missed an opportunity to finish it then. I didn't catch much of SG-A when it was on so can't comment, but for me I liked the 'gritty' feel of SG:U.

But, the last episode of B5 - that just chews me up inside.

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
Babylon 5 seasons 2/3/4 are so monumentally good that 1 and 5 can't hold a candle, but do have some great spots.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I was huge into Stargate SG-1. In the fandom and everything. I never could get into SGA, though I tried.

Never watched Stargate Universe.

I thought the first seasons of the show were pretty solid. As the show aged, the writing and acting suffered. I really felt they should have ended with the Goa'uld storyline. The Ori storyline was AWFUL.

As much as I liked Ben Browder and Claudia Black on Farscape, I didn't feel they worked well on SG-1. And I liked Cameron Mitchell. (Vala? Not so much.)

Cameron would have worked better NOT in charge of SG-1. Just felt weird.

Anyway, I loved it, though it's not my fave speculative show of all time :)