Friend : "Write about me for my wedding!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I just saw this on another website:

I asked what she’d like for a wedding present. I am a published novelist and she asked for a book with her as the heroine! They take me months and there’s no way I could writeromance about one of my friends because I don’t have that creativity to get over the embarrassment.

I could see myself writing a short, sweet and funny story or anecdote about a friend to share on their wedding day, but there's no way I would do a whole book, especially not a romance, starring someone I know. I don't even want to think about my friends getting intimate. My mind is cringing just from writing that.

That being said, I've named characters after friends - but those characters are their own people, not the friends in question. And I've done it of my own accord, not because the friend requested it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
In this case, I think I'd give my current heroine a scene where she shows off a book to a friend, and gushes about the fictional MC (named for the bride). Explain to the editor why that scene can't be cut out and show it to the bride in question.

This way, there's no embarrassment for the writer in question, and the bride still gets to be the heroine of the novel-within-the novel.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The sadistic part of me could have so much fun with that request:

"Oh, did you want a romance? Sorry - I had this Lovecraftian slashfic that needed a heroine... I thought you'd be honored!"

(This kind of thinking may explain why I have so few friends IRL...)

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com

"Oh, did you want a romance? Sorry - I had this Lovecraftian slashfic that needed a heroine... I thought you'd be honored!"

I think any friend of mine knows something like that is what they'd get with a similar request :ROFL:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Asking a writer to put you in a book is a very nice example of the advice to "be careful what you wish for."

"I'm sorry, but I just had to kill her off in a freak wood chipper accident. The story called for it!"

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
None of my friends have asked me to put them in my fiction. Probably because they don't want to die horribly with sharp things in their heads.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Friends in fiction is a bad idea for a simple reason--good characterization requires a balanced and in-depth treatment of the individual, and friends rarely like to be put under that kind of microscope. If the writer is honest, the chances are high that something in that characterization will upset the friend, or worse, it will reveal something the he/she doesn't want revealed.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Friends in fiction is a bad idea for a simple reason--good characterization requires a balanced and in-depth treatment of the individual, and friends rarely like to be put under that kind of microscope. If the writer is honest, the chances are high that something in that characterization will upset the friend, or worse, it will reveal something the he/she doesn't want revealed.

This might explain why I don't have many friends.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

I agree. Naming a character after a friend, as someone else mentioned, is one thing. But I would never create a character based (entirely) on a friend. I think most of my characters have pieces of myself in them as well as pieces of the other people in my life. But to actually put a friend smack dab into my story with all the good and bad accompanying that friend...I would never do that.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I recently gave a short story to a friend with a major character completely and obviously based on her.

It was my way of admitting to her that I used to be in love with her, because that's the kind of coward I am.

Let's see if she'll still talk to me. :tongue :D

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently gave a short story to a friend with a major character completely and obviously based on her.

It was my way of admitting to her that I used to be in love with her, because that's the kind of coward I am.

Let's see if she'll still talk to me. :tongue :D

Aw, really? That's adorable!

I did write a children's book using my daughter as the MC. Gave it to her for Christmas.

Not sure she appreciated it the way I would have liked, but... she loved it in the moment. LOL

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I could do a short story, but no way would I try to build a novel around a person as a gift.

I have written essays about people as gifts before.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Neil Gaiman once wrote a short story for a friend for their wedding. It was about couple who received a short story as a wedding present (see how meta that is :) ). It was a sort of Dorian Grey thing - the story was all about all the horrible things that could happen to the couple but because they were written about they never happened. Until they destroyed the story... It was published in Smoke and Mirrors.

Frankly, I consider it cheeky to ask. Especially a whole novel... for a friend I might do them a short story (maybe flash fic) or name a character after them or put them in the acknowledgements or give them a personalised signed copy but a whole novel with them as a character? Not a chance. Also, I would consider doing those things on my own initiative, not because someone asked. Those who ask get a toaster... :)

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
I could make a short 8k-12k story in a day or two (especially if it was just a fun retelling about how she and the guy met) but an entire novel??? NO. Not even if you're my most favorite person in the world NO NO NO.

The asker must literally have no clue how hard it is to give birth to an actual novel!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I would consider doing those things on my own initiative, not because someone asked. Those who ask get a toaster... :)

Yeah...I think it's weird for someone to ask someone - friend or otherwise - to write a novel about that someone.

To write a speech? Sure.

A novel?

Um...no.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Writing about someone is my main method of picking up women.

I've been single for a long time.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Oh come on, like you wouldn't submit a collection of "worst purple sex scenes ever."

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I suspect the friend has no clue how much damned work she just asked her author-buddy to do. For free. As a gift.

I'd just laugh, say no, and gently explain why.

It's analogous to someone asking you to be their bridesmaid and then telling you that you have to pay for your own dress, and the dress costs $800.

No matter how much I love you, that's too freakin' much to ask of me, and I will say so.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Overheard at bar...

"Yeah, I'll admit I've put people I know in my last book..."

"You mean people who inspired your characters?"

"Well, yeah... I guess you could say that..."

"But you changed them up - altered the characters enough right?"

"Uh, not much, not really... Trust me, those bastards deserved it."

Long silence...

Moral: Never cross a writer...

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My friends know me well enough to know never to ask that. :)

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Well, my late mother-in-law was in one of my stories. I knocked her over the head with a piece of furniture and she almost dies. She loved it. I put her in the sequel. (Yes, short stories can have sequels.)

But when a friend asks 'put me in a story, make the me the killer' - and I've had a lot ask - I just say no.

One can say NO, you know.

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
It's analogous to someone asking you to be their bridesmaid and then telling you that you have to pay for your own dress, and the dress costs $800.

Or perhaps design and sew your own dress. From fabric you wove and dyed. Made from silk you extracted from silkworms you raised. In mulberry trees you planted twenty years ago. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.