Timing staggered releases -- recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btse1

Registered
Reaction score
In another thread, Medievalist wrote:

I would suggest always having several projects in the pipeline, in different stages:

1. Book 1 available for purchase
2. Book 2 ms. finalized, working on cover, and production
3. Book 3 actively being written

Use staggered releases; don't release them too close or too far apart. Book 1 sales typically pick up a bit when you release book 2, etc.

A one year interval seems too long, and I was thinking maybe six months or even quicker. What is the prevailing wisdom about this?

Tom

Diane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nobody-knows-anything.com
In a new book by several successful self-pubbed authors, they recommend having about 5 units ready to go when you start self-publishing. (Well, I sure didn't.) That way, people looking at you see you have a variety of stuff (meaning you're in it for a longer haul), and if they like Book 1, they have more things to buy.

If you want to stagger releases, keep in mind the 30-day new published work window, where you have more visibility for the first 30 days. Maybe publish the next thing on day 29 or something, to keep up the visibility.

Penguin

Inspiration might strike you
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that you should pop 'em out as fast as you can, since there are so many indies out there, and you might be forgotten. For me personally, I've revised/edited and published some of the books I trunked in the past few years. As for the sequel to my series, it's been seven months since I published the first one. But I'm okay with that because I have other books published.

Diane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nobody-knows-anything.com
I've heard that you should pop 'em out as fast as you can, since there are so many indies out there, and you might be forgotten. For me personally, I've revised/edited and published some of the books I trunked in the past few years. As for the sequel to my series, it's been seven months since I published the first one. But I'm okay with that because I have other books published.

I think that should be revised to "pop 'em out as fast as you can write well and get them edited."

But yes, a couple of authors who've done *koff* very well say things really started to move for them on book 7. The body of work was the biggest factor in their momentum, not the blog tours, not the marketing, not the FB ads. Having a body of work for readers to find and enjoy.

FWIW, my pro screenwriter friends have almost all said the exact same number -- they had 7-9 complete, finished screenplays before their careers really took off. (The difference being that you can put your own novels up for sale, but there's nothing you can do with a screenplay until someone buys it.)

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Thanks. The quality is there, my editor tells me. Perhaps I should have asked if there is too short an interval.

Maybe in some very specific niche under very specific circumstances?

In general, I don't think there's a downside to putting up, for example, a whole backlist over the course of several days even.

Maybe if you were doing a serial or something and wanted it spaced out to build proper expectations about timing?

Maybe if you had a specific promotion plan you wanted to apply to each book and time/expense wouldn't fit in with a quick release?

But in general, as long as it's good just publish it and move forward to the next one.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.