Amazon Deleting Customer Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Amberson

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone -

My apologies if this thread has been started in the wrong place.

Recently, I put out my new YA fantasy on Amazon. After a promo period on Kindle Direct, I got some 5-star reviews.

But a few days later, all the reviews were gone.

The reviews contained nothing inappropriate, nor where they taken down by the reviewers.

Confused, I contacted Amazon and CreateSpace. The employees claimed they had no idea why this would be happening. They also said there was no way to speak with anyone who "reviewed the reviews." I was instructed to have the reviewers re-post their reviews.

The reviewers very kindly did so. But the next day, the reviews were again removed. I again contacted Amazon. Same story.

Finally, I received an email from the group that does review the reviews. It was a generic response. I had my reviewers reply to the email address, as instructed. But no change, and no one heard back.

I have some others who are wanting to review my book, but hesitant to do so now in case it'll just "flag" the account and get deleted.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone you spoke with who actually helped fix the problem?

Thanks so much,
TJA

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've had this problem, but it was not solved. I lost reviews by three people. One only reviewed one of my books (it was the only trilogy she really liked), and the other two reviewed two of my trilogies and were people I knew from different states in the U.S. I have no idea why they were removed as they all purchased the e-books and wrote honest three-star reviews. After contacting Amazon twice, I just dropped it.

TJ Amberson

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I am indeed stumped as to why the reviews were removed - they were not submitted by other authors, they certainly contained no objectionable comments, and they were not removed by the reviewers themselves.

I do not understand why this is such an elusive issue with Amazon. It stands in stark contrast to how easy it is to contact other Amazon customer service departments.

With nothing but a generic email in response from them, I am left wondering what will happen with reviews made on my novel in the future.

Thanks again for your insights.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Their new review validation algorithm seems to use a lot of different concepts to remove reviews. I've seen all these discussed anecdotally and there seem to be enough consistent cases to assume they're basically true:

* Co-authors. If you've worked with someone, you can't review any of their books, even if you had nothing to do with it.
* Review Trading. If A and B review each other's books they both can get removed. Rings might be detected too-- A reviews B, B reviews C, and C reviews A. Basically, if they find any link, expect the review to be in danger.
* Personal connection. This seems to be defined super liberally. There are reports of reviews going because the reviewer has the same surname even though they weren't actual reletives. (Sorry all you "Smith" authors.) Also, if you share an IP in any way. So family, co-workers, students/teachers, and perhaps people who read your book in the same coffeeshop where you write could be considered as having a "personal" connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.