How long are records/evidence kept?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Considering we hear of old case files being revived after twenty years, obviously a long time. What I'm wondering, though, is if there is a standard period of time after which records or evidence are destroyed?

In my specific situation, I have some evidence that had gone missing about fifteen years ago that resulted in a mistrial. I'd like my character to be able to see records of who checked evidence in and out around that time, but it just occurred to me that I don't know if those records would still be around after that long of a time. Am I good to write the scene this way, or do I need to have her figure out who took the evidence some other way?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You don't say what kind of case was involved or where the jurisdiction is.

In any event I imagine there would be very specific rules about what was kept, where, and for how long.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't give a specific jurisdiction in my story (though somewhere in Virginia). I also haven't officially decided whether or not my characters are cops or of they're going to be changed to FBI later on. The changes I'll make are relatively minor, so I'm keeping it up in the air until after I can figure out which group is most likely to be investigating. I've gotten some mixed opinions (though I'm probably leaning more toward them being FBI as I go on).

It's a rough draft and things can be changed to accommodate things as necessary. I just wouldn't want to write that she asks to see the records and they have them if there is a standard policy in most places that evidence logs are tossed after seven years or something.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it's an open, chargeable case, it should be kept.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Rather than write a long post I just grabbed this from officer.com http://forums.officer.com/t15398/ it has what a few departments do.

As for "paper" records tho, now that everything is digital we will be keeping them forever.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of what I was thinking, too. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the link.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
It will depend on the physical space available as well as the technology at the particular law enforcement station/office/headquarters. Evidence in an unsolved case would be kept as long as feasible under the above circumstances.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm tired so I worded it badly, but the evidence matters less than the records of who might have had access to the evidence. I want her to be able to piece together that someone had had the time and opportunity to steal the evidence. It's all circumstantial, but she doesn't need more than circumstantial, just enough for a seed of doubt.

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
If the evidence is still being stored, than chain of custody is still important, and the record of who had access to the evidence would still be maintained.

Evidence without a proper chain of custody is useless.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
If you decide to go federal, be aware that official records (digital or hard copy) are kept indefinitely. Physical evidence is maintained (chain of custody) throughout the period of potential appeal - that can be a very long time and is largely specific case dependent.

Evidence that deteriorates, spoils, decays, etc. is duly documented/recorded by the best means under the circumstances and disposed of pursuant to court directive/sanction.

Contraband evidence (drugs, illegal weapons, etc.) is typically destroyed after its value as evidence is exhausted (case concluded, appellate time frame run) pursuant to court order.

Other evidence, possession of which may not be illegal, may be returned to the rightful owner after the court case.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That's exactly what I wanted to know.