PDA

View Full Version : Help On Book Cover, and Question- 2 Book Covers Possible?

Cactus Land
07-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Hi,

First off, I wanted to see peoples reactions to these two book covers, one has the obvious Tarot theme, and the books uses the Tarot as the narrative structure, so it would work with folks interested in Tarot, but the book is about many other things, I would say principally with a journey out of the Matrix, and alchemic transformations so to speak, hence the second cover.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Dd2XiXBx1-eUhaYTRDUnFSUEE/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Dd2XiXBx1-N25id201bWFlbkE/edit?usp=sharing

I am not seeing these images, here are the links, my account on google drive,,

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Dd2XiXBx1-N25id201bWFlbkE/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Dd2XiXBx1-eUhaYTRDUnFSUEE/edit?usp=sharing

Also, I wanted to know if anyone has used two covers for a book? From a marketing perspective, this seems like it might be a good idea.. for example, this book deals with Tarot in its structure and content, esoteric topics in general, and online marketing also, especailly the first half of the book, so maybe, I am thinking, I could come up with a third cover, as a book about the online world... just a thought... your comments will be much appreciated on these two...

down with powerpoint, mega low tech

Alessandra Kelley
07-29-2013, 03:49 PM
I think the second one is stronger.

People may find multiple covers confusing, I don't know.

RichardGarfinkle
07-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Just to be careful, your first cover is using images from the Rider-Waite deck which only entered public domain last year. You might want to make sure it's okay to use the images.

Cactus Land
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Interesting about the copyright, 70 years after AE waite's death is 2012, but Pamela Coleman Smith died in 1951, making 2021...and US games is fighting it out, saying now it is 2021...I wonder how much they paid Pamela Coleman Smith in her lifetime for copyright.. scoundrels...

Alessandra Kelley
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
If you would like a real alchemical Renaissancy feel, how about using cards from the Visconti-Sforza tarot deck? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visconti-Sforza_tarot_deck)

It's the oldest surviving tarot, dates to the early 15th century, looks really classy, avoids all the dubious New Age spiritualism of the later Victorian-influenced versions, and is definitely out of copyright.

veinglory
07-29-2013, 06:27 PM
IMHO both covers look like they belong to academic treatises on some kind of cultural history. What kind of book is this?

JournoWriter
07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
With the first, I don't think Tarot, I think mahjongg. The second looks like an academic book - agree with veinglory on that.

Torgo
07-29-2013, 07:57 PM
The second cover is stronger. Neither cover looks like it's been designed by a professional, though. More problematically, I can't tell what sort of book it is from the cover. It's unclear whether it's fiction or non-fiction, or what kind of fiction/non-fiction it might be. I don't know what 'an escape from the Matrix' implies about the story; I don't know how the title relates to that strapline; I don't get how the cover images relate either. At the moment it feels disjointed and obscure. I'd start again, to be honest.

You can have more than one cover for the book, I guess - it would probably imply publishing two different editions simultaneously.

Gale Haut
07-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Second cover is better. It's a little bland though, even with that interesting picture you chose. I feel like the image would be better suited integrated as a part of the design rather than a totally different element that's been slapped onto the middle.

Cactus Land
07-30-2013, 01:24 AM
Thanks, good points,, I agree with the comments that with the second one, it is no clear if it is a novel, and the genre isn't clear.. I love that image though, it is exactly what the novel is about, someone put through the alchemic process...not quite sure how to integrate it though, and lose the academic feel...the tarot one I made, each one of the suites is relates to the four elements, and the major arcana is the quientessence, the 22 faces of the Gods, in the middle, but agreed, neither one feels like it drives home the message, an alchemic journey out of the Matrix, or Plato's cave, and into reality...will keep searching for a better image....thanks for the feedback.

Polenth
07-30-2013, 06:06 AM
It might be you're planning to have the books printed somewhere that does that aspect ratio, in which case that's fine. But Kindle asks for 1563 x 2500 as its recommendation. Other places are a bit wider, but not as wide as you have it. You want to get that right before you spend too much time on arranging it.

AskMalice
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I agree with what has been said by the others. The second cover is stronger than the first. I think the first cover suffers from the field of blue in the center of it. It's an off-putting blue, like the screen you get when your computer dies. Maybe if it was just a few tarot cards, large enough to be more easily seen, you could do away with that blue field.