Byline Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnmamma

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody here ever submitted to Byline? If so, what sort of wait time did you experience? They've had my story forever, which makes me think that maybe they just forgot to send my rejection in the mail. In the meantime, should I just go ahead and resubmit elsewhere?

Cheers, all!

KB

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed a poem to Byline back in Jan. 2005.

I saw on my subs tracker that it was rejected but I forgot to note the date I received the notice. I have it somewhere in my archived files... I do recall that it was hand-written and a very nice one too.

lauresal

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a ss to them 11-15-04. Rejected 12-23-04.

They say 3-4 Months.

Lauren

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Two things you could do if it's been over four months: Send them a brief letter about the status of your ms. with a SASP with for their response, and /or submit elsewhere. If accepted at either place, notify the one who still has the ms. but has not responded.

Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Byline

mnmamma said:
Anybody here ever submitted to Byline? If so, what sort of wait time did you experience? They've had my story forever, which makes me think that maybe they just forgot to send my rejection in the mail. In the meantime, should I just go ahead and resubmit elsewhere?

Cheers, all!

KB

I've had an article or two in Byline, and a couple of poems. Reporting times was around a month or so, but it can take longer. If it's been more than a couple of months, I'd send a polite query.

While you can always count on it, longer is often better. When something is really bad, it gets rejected quickly. When an editor likes something, however, it can often be kept for second or third reading, or even to look for a place to publish it.

Ronda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipushusteer.blogharbor.com
My article about my feathered muses will appear in the April issue in "Only When I Laugh." I think most of the poetry is .. well it's hard to figure out what they'll like. One of mine was rejected but subsequently selected for a book of poetry. I haven't won in a contest, though I saw someone's HM story, which I think should've won a cash prize. Acceptance/rejection is always someone's opinion, nothing more, but payment for an article was a lovely thing!
Ronda

MikeAngel

Registered
Reaction score
I sold a short story to Byline for $100, that ran in April 2004. My records show I subbed it 1/22/04. Marcia Preston, editor called me to ask to purchase the story. Marcia doesn't look at fiction now, and I don't recall the fiction editor's name, but I sent them a couple more stories just 2 weeks ago.

JoyceW

Registered
Reaction score
I have known Marcia Preston, Sandra Soli, and Carolyn Wall for many years. I had several pieces published in Byline and several honarable mentions. In their chapbook competition, I was in the top 25 one year. What I know is that it is a reputable magazine and the people who run it really care about writers. I do know that they are sticklers for proper formatting. Typewritten, name, address, stc., in the place they specifically ask for. The guidelines are very clear there. Sandra is the poetry editor and Carolyn is the fiction editor or was the last I heard. I lived there for year and took classes with both Sandra and Carolyn. Now, I live in California and Sandra and I still e-mail as we can.
Hope this helps.
Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.