PDA

View Full Version : "That awkward moment when..." Thread

Donnie Marsh
07-27-2013, 04:20 AM
You go to post "Happy birthday!" to someone's Facebook wall you haven't talked to much and they've been dead for months.

Your turn.

Lady Chipmunk
07-27-2013, 04:27 AM
You congratulate someone on an impending child only to find out they aren't pregnant.

Caitlin Black
07-27-2013, 05:26 AM
You laugh at something you didn't really think was funny, then have to defend your laugh when someone asks what's so funny.

J.S.F.
07-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Write something on a forum that goes against the countervailing views of everyone and have to defend yourself time and time again.

Not this forum, of course...

:D

Myrealana
07-27-2013, 06:45 AM
You realize that you have detailed plans for what to do in a zombie apocalypse, but no idea what you want to be when you grow up.

Lady Chipmunk
07-27-2013, 06:52 AM
You realize the guy on the phone you have been talking to for ten minutes is a wrong number and not a friend with the same name.

shakeysix
07-27-2013, 06:58 AM
You congratulate the sweet, 64 year old school librarian on her impending retirement and she goes into a wild eyed, profanity laced rant about the administration, while standing in the principal's office AND the principal's secretary chimes in! --s6

LJD
07-27-2013, 07:52 AM
You pick up the phone, and the person on the other end opens with, "I'm pretty sure I have AIDS..." :(

And you have to tell him that this is a private number, not the sexual health helpline (which happens to have a phone number very similar to your own, so this is not the first time you've gotten such calls...)

Caitlin Black
07-27-2013, 07:58 AM
When you're slightly tipsy and can't help laughing because your grandad has cornered a new addition to the family and is telling her endless, rambling stories - and then your nanna asks what's so funny?

(Yeah, I seem to have a problem with laughter in general...)

jjdebenedictis
07-27-2013, 08:36 AM
When you just snuck off a fart and someone who had been safely across the room decides they need to come over and talk to you about something.

AddiG
07-27-2013, 08:51 AM
You get run over by a baby stroller.

JoNightshade
07-27-2013, 09:01 AM
You're chatting with a friend who happens to have a very heavy accent, and laugh boisterously at what you thought was a weird joke. Then you realize what she was actually telling you is that she can't have any more children.

Caitlin Black
07-27-2013, 01:11 PM
When you're playing "Dodge the shopping carts and small children" in a very cluttered supermarket aisle and accidentally bump into the only person there you actually know.

Lavern08
07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
...When you refer to a client as a jerk, and then realize you forgot to put him on 'hold.'

Caitlin Black
07-28-2013, 03:03 AM
When you're having a conversation with a co-worker and suddenly realise someone you'd been calling had picked up their phone and was listening patiently and not saying anything.

:)

Lady Chipmunk
07-28-2013, 03:22 AM
You realize the person you have been calling Joan for the last month is actually named Jane.

>compass<
07-28-2013, 06:50 AM
People call your number because it's almost identical to a restaurant's and you politely tell them to change the last digit of the number to get the restaurant ... and they call you back.

Donnie Marsh
07-28-2013, 09:04 AM
When you just snuck off a fart and someone who had been safely across the room decides they need to come over and talk to you about something.

Every. freaking. time.

Oreo1909
07-28-2013, 09:34 AM

You try to blame said fart on your two year old son before realizing he's not even in the same room.

thepicpic
07-28-2013, 10:53 AM
You realize that you have detailed plans for what to do in a zombie apocalypse, but no idea what you want to be when you grow up.

Additional: when you don't know what you want to do when you grow up... and then realise that you have grown up.

Donnie Marsh
07-28-2013, 05:47 PM
When your mother has to point out that your penis is sticking out of your PJs.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-28-2013, 06:32 PM
People call your number because it's almost identical to a restaurant's and you politely tell them to change the last digit of the number to get the restaurant ... and they call you back.

Our number isn't that close to the one belonging to the new pharmacy about a mile away, but it's close enough that the elderly constantly dial it. I had one old man call here seven times one SUNDAY. The phone finally stopped ringing; but I knew he had simply given up. I had his number and his name on the caller ID, so I called the pharmacy the next morning and explained the problem and asked them to call him.

GingerGunlock
07-29-2013, 12:45 AM
when you submit a story to a contest and then realize after the fact that 1. the file name includes the last mag you sent it to and 2. you didn't reformat it even though you should have.

Donnie Marsh
07-29-2013, 12:49 AM
when you submit a story to a contest and then realize after the fact that 1. the file name includes the last mag you sent it to and 2. you didn't reformat it even though you should have.

Ginger wins.

Donnie Marsh
07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
You catch your roommate drinking from your chocolate milk jug.

Lavern08
07-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Your roommate catches you spitting in your chocolate milk jug

Alpha Echo
07-30-2013, 10:26 PM
You realize the guy on the phone you have been talking to for ten minutes is a wrong number and not a friend with the same name.

Similar to this one...

At work, you glance at the incoming call number on your caller ID and recognize the last few digits as your husband's number.

"Hey, sweetheart. I love you so much, and I hope you're having a better day than I am."

"Ummm...April? This is Dean." (co-worker)

"Oh...well...how are you? I hope you're having a better day than I am."

Could have been worse. I could have said something sexy. And at least it was someone I'm on a good working and personal level with. It if were my boss...I can only imagine.

Chris P
07-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Similar to this one...

At work, you glance at the incoming call number on your caller ID and recognize the last few digits as your husband's number.

"Hey, sweetheart. I love you so much, and I hope you're having a better day than I am."

"Ummm...April? This is Dean." (co-worker)

"Oh...well...how are you? I hope you're having a better day than I am."

Could have been worse. I could have said something sexy. And at least it was someone I'm on a good working and personal level with. It if were my boss...I can only imagine.

My wife's name was right next to a mutual friend's in my phone. Dialed the wrong number. I could have said something sexy too, only when I realized what I'd done I said "this is not my beautiful wife." Stony silence. I don't think she was much of a Talking Heads fan.

Chris P
07-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Awkward for her:

Shortly after a birth in the family, my wife went to Wal-Mart "for a few things" and was taking forever. I called her, and just as a joke opened with "Honey, step away from the baby clothes." Her stuttering silence and nervous laugh gave her away.

Lavern08
07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Ok, you guys have started something now...

When your hubby calls you at work and you have him on speaker and he starts referencing "last night...."

Alpha Echo
07-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Ok, you guys have started something now...

When your hubby calls you at work and you have him on speaker and he starts referencing "last night...."

Hehehe. But at the same time, you should be proud.

Awkward for my brother-in-law:

When my husband was camping and got drunk and used said brother-in-law's phone to sext me and request naked pictures. Then he called me to tell my my brother-in-law thinks I'm hot.

Lavern08
07-30-2013, 11:06 PM
... Then he called me to tell my my brother-in-law thinks I'm hot.

DANG!

Don't know if I'd be flattered or icked out? :Shrug:

Donnie Marsh
07-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Hehehe. But at the same time, you should be proud.

Awkward for my brother-in-law:

When my husband was camping and got drunk and used said brother-in-law's phone to sext me and request naked pictures. Then he called me to tell my my brother-in-law thinks I'm hot.

Oh my.

Alpha Echo
07-30-2013, 11:13 PM
DANG!

Don't know if I'd be flattered or icked out? :Shrug:

Haha. I mostly just feel bad for my brother-in-law. My husband can be a lot to handle, and he must have been so embarrassed.

Then he had to make sure to delete all the texts my husband sent me from his phone (for the record, I did NOT send him naked pics)

JoBird
07-31-2013, 01:17 AM
When you realize that she's actually a he, but you're already in too deep to just walk away.

Deep in conversation, I mean.

Caitlin Black
07-31-2013, 02:24 AM
When a friend tells you to call at a certain time, because any time before that will be during her lecture, and her phone won't go on silent for some reason. Then her lecture finishes early and she texts you - during your own lecture, when your phone isn't on silent like it normally is.

Whoops.

Alpha Echo
07-31-2013, 03:39 AM
When a friend tells you to call at a certain time, because any time before that will be during her lecture, and her phone won't go on silent for some reason. Then her lecture finishes early and she texts you - during your own lecture, when your phone isn't on silent like it normally is.

Whoops.

Got a little confused reading that! lol

Caitlin Black
07-31-2013, 04:19 AM
LOL. Writing fail.

GingerGunlock
07-31-2013, 04:43 AM
When you realize that she's actually a he, but you're already in too deep to just walk away.

Deep in conversation, I mean.

"Hey JoBird, take a walk on the wild side...."

Caitlin Black
07-31-2013, 05:35 AM
Maybe he's actually a she?

JoBird
07-31-2013, 06:35 AM
When you click 'Post Quick Reply' on an admittedly crass joke and start thinking it might not go over so well.

Donnie Marsh
07-31-2013, 06:37 AM
"Hey JoBird, take a walk on the wild side...."

FTW.

Donnie Marsh
07-31-2013, 08:45 PM
You first join AW and private message someone complimenting their user title. Only to be messaged back that "practical experience, FTW" is preset.

Caitlin Black
07-31-2013, 11:35 PM
:tongue

AnneMarble
08-01-2013, 06:11 PM
You realize you're singing along with lyrics like "Hail, Satan!" during a concert. Even worse, when you forget some of the words. (At least I didn't sing "Hail Santa!")

:roll:

Actually it was more like "Per Aspera ... " (brain freeze, stare at stage and hum). Kinda sad because the title of the song is Per Aspera ad Inferi. :D

Lavern08
08-05-2013, 06:57 PM
...When you realize there's no toilet paper on the roll.

quickWit
08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
...when realize Lavern didn't wash her hands before typing that.

awkward.

Lavern08
08-05-2013, 09:22 PM
...When you notice that the guy who dissed you about being unclean has the word "turd" in his signature - Not once, but three times.

Awkward? No

Ironic? Yes

Jehhillenberg
08-05-2013, 09:27 PM
:roll: :ROFL:

You two!

Kylabelle
08-05-2013, 09:29 PM
...when you realize that cross-posting is a contagious disease, and you are a carrier.

Jehhillenberg
08-05-2013, 09:30 PM
...when you realize the disease is not even treatable!

grace elliot
08-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Last Sunday we went out for a family curry. The waiter took my order and then turned to my teenage son, who has long hair, and said, "And what would you like, madam?" When my son looked up the poor man took a step backwards!

Makes a change that it wasn't me putting foot-in-mouth, for once.