An Image Outside any Stock site

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever fallen in love with an image that would be so perfect for your cover, but it's not on any of the photo stock sites?
If so, did you make any attempt to get the right to use it? Or did you just do your best to find something similar from a stock site?

I'm obsessed with a particular image and I'm considering contacting the organization that put it out. It came out in 2008...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly that, but I've seen illustrations I liked and contacted the artist. In a couple of cases I ended up buying the original artwork.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly that, but I've seen illustrations I liked and contacted the artist. In a couple of cases I ended up buying the original artwork.

Was it complicated... like from a legal standpoint?

Gale... what do you mean... a link to the image? I just did a quick search, but only found it on someone's blog. It's a photo someone sent me in 2008, and when I go on the site of the organization who put it out, I can't find it.

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Was it complicated... like from a legal standpoint?

Gale... what do you mean... a link to the image? I just did a quick search, but only found it on someone's blog. It's a photo someone sent me in 2008, and when I go on the site of the organization who put it out, I can't find it.

It sounds like you have an interesting scavenger hunt ahead of you. :)

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
Just a suggestion you could use a "reverse image search" to help you track it down. I know tineye.com is one of them. You can either upload the image or post the URL and it will give you a list of prominent sites that the image or very very similar images have been posted on. Perhaps that will lead you to its origins.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Glad I saw this before I made a thread since I came across this issue today. I used the tineye.com but it couldn't find it.

Does that mean it might not be a copyrighted image? I really think what I have is perfect for my cover and would like to use it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Glad I saw this before I made a thread since I came across this issue today. I used the tineye.com but it couldn't find it.

Does that mean it might not be a copyrighted image? I really think what I have is perfect for my cover and would like to use it.

No, that's not what that means. You have to assume someone took the pic, made the art, whatever, and owns the rights.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

That's a switch. Usually people use the presence of an image online as evidence that it must be freely available.

But no, the absence or presence of an image online is no proof that it is copyright-free.

Any image whose pedigree is unknown must be assumed to be under copyright.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so I guess would have to reach out to the blog where I found it to see if they can point me towards the owner. When I use the reverse image search, that blog is the only thing that comes up but it doesn't look like original artwork so I guess they got it from somewhere.

This is the link to where I found the image http://fellowshiproom.org/2011/04/17/the-face-of-evil/

I'm looking for something close to this one so I can go through proper channels, but so far no luck.

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Ok so I guess would have to reach out to the blog where I found it to see if they can point me towards the owner. When I use the reverse image search, that blog is the only thing that comes up but it doesn't look like original artwork so I guess they got it from somewhere.

This is the link to where I found the image http://fellowshiproom.org/2011/04/17/the-face-of-evil/

I'm looking for something close to this one so I can go through proper channels, but so far no luck.

Making something similar for your cover would not be challenging with stock. Not only would you end up not having to worry about the rights, but you'd be able to use the correct resolution for your image.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Making something similar for your cover would not be challenging with stock. Not only would you end up not having to worry about the rights, but you'd be able to use the correct resolution for your image.

Yeah I've been on that site today, made it through page 40 of a 1054 but didn't really find one that had half the face shadowed the same way. Lots of eye close ups but the darkness on the one side is important for my character. I have a while since I'm no where near finished with my book yet so the search does continue. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, seems like it'd be fairly easy to recreate that yourself with a friend, a camera and a couple of hours. I suspect the person with the blog may have taken the pic themselves, given the look of it.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Yeah I've been on that site today, made it through page 40 of a 1054 but didn't really find one that had half the face shadowed the same way. Lots of eye close ups but the darkness on the one side is important for my character. I have a while since I'm no where near finished with my book yet so the search does continue. :)

Darkening one side of the face and adjusting the colors and shading levels are easy-peasy with some good photo editing software. You just need a quality photo of someone's eye to start out with.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Darkening one side of the face and adjusting the colors and shading levels are easy-peasy with some good photo editing software. You just need a quality photo of someone's eye to start out with.

haha for someone other than me probably. :) I am really REALLY limited on skills such as that.

My search does continue, but I had to take a break. It started to get a little freaky looking at so many face and eye close up shots.

Question on the resolution thing you mentioned earlier, does that factor in for ebook as well or just if I'm taking it to print?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Generally ebooks only need a 72 dpi resolution ("dots per inch," referring to the average computer monitor resolution), so the image doesn't need to be as large.

Print books need a minimum of 300 dpi, so they must be a lot larger or risk getting blurry and pixelated.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Generally ebooks only need a 72 dpi resolution ("dots per inch," referring to the average computer monitor resolution), so the image doesn't need to be as large.

Print books need a minimum of 300 dpi, so they must be a lot larger or risk getting blurry and pixelated.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Ebooks definitely need a good enough resolution. The cover size is normally in the ballpark of 600 by 800 pixels give or take. You should always design somewhat larger than what you need. You don't lose resolution when you resample to a lower resolution. You will lose resolution when you resample to a larger resolution. This holds true when resizing elements within the design.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
ah ok got it. I thank you for your responses I have no clue what the resolution is on the image I liked earlier, but I doubt it meets specs. :( Hopefully I'll find something I like to fit my needs. Otherwise it's back to the drawing board on what I want my cover to be.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Personally, I try to work with as big an image as I can, even for ebooks. Then reduce it down to 72dpi and the right scale later. I do the text after it's resized, as that'd need to be redone on a differently scaled version anyway.

Even if you don't think you'll be doing a print book, you don't know for sure. You also don't know when ebook sizes will change. The recommended sizes for ebook covers has gone up. Kindle wants 1563x2500 pixels, with a minimum allowed of 625x1000. Smashwords wants a minimum width of 1400. Which would be a problem for someone who only had a 600x800 cover.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
all the talk of pixel size and dpi is a bit over my head. At this point I am really leaning towards paying someone to handle the cover aspect for me.

Since I'm a stay at home mom, my husband would like me to keep the cost down to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.