PDA

View Full Version : Beta needed for short story collection

folkchick
07-26-2013, 06:52 PM
So, I'm thinking of self-publishing a short story collection and would like a fresh set of eyes before it hits the immortal page. It spent almost a year at a San Fran press who said they felt it deserved to be published but in the end could only publish two manuscripts. Mine just missed out. It's kind of a crazy book with—you guessed it—a whole lotta cussing/sexual activity (nothing too graphic)/drinking going on. If that sounds like your cup of tea, and you're bored enough to read anything, then drop me a line. What I'm looking for is typos, grammar issues. Story wise, I'm pretty good. If no one responds, I'll join a convent. Good times.

Query:
Construction worker Gerald Kennedy arrives at Woodsocket General Hospital holding his pregnant wife. He leaves clutching two death certificates in his hand. Fueled with hatred for Dr. Buck Kent, the man whom Gerald convinced is responsible, he spends the next year of his life pouring concrete and drinking away violent thoughts of revenge.

Woven through in episodic form are the lives of Gerald’s fellow Woodsocket citizens. There’s Loretta Raven, she’s decided on fixing her life one little imperfection at a time only to end up half-naked in the park like a Botticelli. Then aging Millionairess Helen Beatty, the woman who spends her days reading paperbacks and her nights seducing young cowboys. Hank Lane is the all night DJ in exile from New York after a nasty embezzlement charge. He lives in the Santa Rio Trailer Park and has traded blow for farm reports. Brietta Lowell is the quiet florist who’s held onto an obituary for almost a year. When she sends a floral arrangement to Gerald with a note saying, “My condolences,” she doesn’t realize the consequence will be him passing out on her shop floor like a wilted orchid.

Finally there’s the beautiful drifter who knows Dr. Buck Kent very well herself, she has one last match to burn before leaving Woodsocket forever.

Fruitbat
07-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Send it here, chicky.

And if no one wants to publish my book of stories, I'll join the convent with you. :(

folkchick
07-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Alrighty--I'll send it out. Thanks much, fruitbat! I'm sending positive vibes for your submissions. I've heard one way to get a collection published by a press is to submit a piece to their journal. Mention in your cover letter that it's part of a novel. But yeah, if that doesn't work . . . Bless you, Sister. Pass the wafers.

Donnie Marsh
07-26-2013, 11:19 PM
I would love to beta for you but I won't be free to do so for a couple weeks. I love short story collections and I'd like to give it the time it deserves.

folkchick
07-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Thank you, Donnie! Just shoot me a PM when you're ready and I'll send it out.

Donnie Marsh
07-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Fo'sure!

TellMeAStory
08-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I see you have another, but if you'd like to give me a try as well, I'm famous for my (excessive?) nitpicking and eager to learn from one who's got the bigger picture down. I write historical fiction, presently in the first few decades of the 20th century.

folkchick
08-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Very much appreciated, TMAS. I'll return the favor if you need. Can't say I'm the best beta on earth, but I can give overall thoughts. You have a story in SYW that I need to get to--sorry I haven't yet.

Fruitbat gave me some great insight and tips on Woodsocket '79, but an extra set of eyes wouldn't hurt. I do have Woman in Love, if you'd rather. It's a quirky lit with chapters alternating between mother and son. So, take your pick. (Is this bait and switch, haha?)

Thank you, again.

TellMeAStory
08-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Whatever needs nitpickin', your choice. But I'm new at this on aw. What do we do now?

folkchick
08-06-2013, 02:11 AM
Do you see the little white scale thing under everyone's avatar--way down by the 'post reply' button? That's how you can send people thank you's and notes. Click mine and send me your email (that way spam doesn't get it) and I'll send you the doc. Took me awhile to figure this out too. : )