Should you mention in a QL that a publisher has asked for the full of your MS?

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

A publisher has asked for the full of an MS I'm querying to agents at the moment. It was requested on an unsolicited submission and I am now waiting to hear from them one way or the other.

My question is, should I mention this in my initial query letter, or rather wait until an agent requests the partial/full?

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a full out with a well-known publisher, but I didn't stop querying agents. I only mentioned the editor that was reading my MS once, and then only because the agent asked.

When that one agent requested my full, she also asked if any other agents were reading the manuscript. At that point I told her that my full manuscript was being read by four agents and one editor (I didn't name the agents, but I did name the editor and publishing house). I also explained that I wasn't querying editors independently, but that the editor requested my query via twitter (I think that was an important distinction). The agent responded in a way that makes me think it was more of a positive than negative thing.

So I'm not sure... should I have mentioned it to the other agents? Don't know. I'll have to wait and see.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't be querying publishers if you're hoping to find an agent: many publishers won't accept a second submission, and if your book has already been rejected by the publishers an agent would target then you've made it impossible for your agent to do her job.

If you reach a point where an agent requests a full or a partial then you do need to tell them at that point who you've already submitted it to, so that they don't spend their time reading a ms they won't be able to shop around. But I don't think you need to mention this in your query letter.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I think she was saying she hadn't queried publishers other than one who asked her on twitter if she would send her manuscript?

Coupland

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mention it to an agent unless they were offering rep / requesting full.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
The OP said it was an "unsolicited submission". Another person mentioned twitter.

I'm wondering how big the publisher is. There are a gazzillon young epubsout there, if its one of those it will be much less of a plus. An established publisher, good. A big time publisher? Awesome!

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
The OP said it was an "unsolicited submission". Another person mentioned twitter.

I'm wondering how big the publisher is. There are a gazzillon young epubsout there, if its one of those it will be much less of a plus. An established publisher, good. A big time publisher? Awesome!

Hey Tromboli. It is a major publisher - TOR.

I've only subbed to two publishers - one rejected, TOR asked for the full.

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for something related the other day and stumbled on this. Not quite the same, but similar http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/guide-to-literary-agents/using-conferences-to-your-querying-advantage

Scroll down to the "When you get home" section.

(PS Yay me on my first post)

Thanks MJ. Interesting article, and apart from the conference bit it could be my dilemma, but as I've already sent the full the dilemma is moot. I do think it could be a selling point though.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it in the query letter if it was Tor. Actually, I'd say it just the way you did, that you subbed to two publishers, and currently Tor is reading the full manuscript. I'd say it at the end right before my thank you.

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it in the query letter if it was Tor. Actually, I'd say it just the way you did, that you subbed to two publishers, and currently Tor is reading the full manuscript. I'd say it at the end right before my thank you.

That's what I thought too. Figured it might make agents sit up a bit and take more interest. But worried that it might have the reverse effect too.

Coupland

Registered
Reaction score
It might also make them think why are you subbing to publishers at the same time as trying to find an agent... Doubt it is going to make them any keener to represent you, but I'm not an agent and it's your query at the end of the day. Just don't send it anywhere else until you have exhausted your agent search - as someone said above publishers won't look at a proposal they have already turned down and you're narrowing the options any future agent has by sending it out. I'd keep the Tor sub on the down-low until you find an agent who is keen to rep you. As long as it's just 2 publishers who have seen it you'll be ok.

http://editorialass.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/why-you-should-never-submit-unagented.html

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
It might also make them think why are you subbing to publishers at the same time as trying to find an agent... Doubt it is going to make them any keener to represent you, but I'm not an agent and it's your query at the end of the day. Just don't send it anywhere else until you have exhausted your agent search - as someone said above publishers won't look at a proposal they have already turned down and you're narrowing the options any future agent has by sending it out. I'd keep the Tor sub on the down-low until you find an agent who is keen to rep you. As long as it's just 2 publishers who have seen it you'll be ok.

http://editorialass.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/why-you-should-never-submit-unagented.html

Yes, it's only the two. But after everything that's been said here I think I'll leave it off the query and only mention it (and that it was only two publishers subbed to) to agents requesting additional materials.