PDA

View Full Version : My First Giveaway—thoughts?

Ann Joyce
07-24-2013, 08:06 PM
A friend of mine emailed me and asked if she could host a giveaway for 'Heart Song' for me on the blog she writes. I feel completely honored that she would make such a gracious offer and, of course, said YES! It will be for a signed paperback copy.

In another email, after reading the book, she wrote that she loved it and found my writing to be very moving and descriptive. A lovely compliment as I find her to be a talented writer. The fact that she thought so highly of it makes her offer more special to me.

In other correspondence, we’ve bandied about the way we want to go about it. She asked if I wanted to have entrants like my FB page; post a comment somewhere; share the giveaway on their FB page, or wondered if I’d like to do something else. I’m interested to hear what my AW friends would advise. Do you like any of those ideas or do you think it’s best to have no requirement to enter?

I’m thinking she’ll probably pluck out one liners from some of the reviews I’ve received on Amazon, and she also suggested I might want to offer 10% off the paperback to any that might want to buy it. I’m thinking about a 20% off limited-time coupon for any that order it from my PO Box. Any ideas or suggestions?

Tettsuo
07-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Wouldn't giving away ebook copies be easier on your pockets?

And yes, I think each person entering to win should sign up on the site.

Old Hack
07-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Ann, I don't know if it's the same in America, but here in the UK there are legal requirements for giveaways and contests, and it's scarily easy to break them if you don't check them out before you start.

If there's a prize or a giveaway up for grabs I think that entrants have to be able to enter for free, without having to buy anything; and I'm not sure that contests where doing something that might directly benefit the giver (such as "liking" on Facebook) are allowed.

I'm no lawyer, and haven't worked on a giveaway for some time now, so am not confident at all that I've told you the right information: but do please check the legal requirements before you go ahead, so that you don't get into trouble.

Polenth
07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
All the giveaways I've entered have been comment-and-win ones. Blog giveaways usually have the comment on the blog post announcing the giveaway, as it brings people to the blog.

The thing about them is it isn't the comments that you really want. It's eyeballs on the page, so people see your book and remember it. You don't want to make the giveaway harder than it needs to be, as it'll reduce entrants and reduce the chance of them telling friends.

Celeste Carrara
07-25-2013, 12:34 AM
I have done a bunch of giveaways. On my blog, on my website, on other's blogs too. Most of the time I use Rafflecopter http://www.rafflecopter.com to generate the giveaway. You put all your terms and conditions and it's perfectly legal to ask the person to like a Facebook page or follow you on Twitter as their entry to win whatever you are giving away. (Well, legal in the US)

On my blog tour, the giveaway was an Amazon $25 gift card and to enter they had to post a comment on my tour at any and all blogs I stopped at. Each time they commented counted as another entry. I did that giveaway the old fashioned way and put all the names in a hat (multiple comments had their name put in as many times as they commented) and picked a winner.

I'm not sure if I would offer a 10% or 20% discount. You really shouldn't need to.

RLMcKeown
07-25-2013, 04:58 AM
To echo Celeste--I've used Rafflecopter before and would recommend it. I've seen many bloggers use it, too.

I think having people like your Facebook page (if you actively use one) or share the giveaway on Facebook is good because it helps get your name out there. If you use your Facebook page a lot, there's a chance people will stay connected to it, and therefore you. Good luck, Ann!

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 05:20 AM
Thanks to each of you for your thoughtful comments. It's always helpful to get input from others.

@Tettsuo: Yes, ebooks would definitely be cheaper, but she and I both thought a signed copy would be nice. Paperbacks cost me about 7.50, but if I can eke out a new reader or two, I think it's worth every bit of that.

@Old Hack: Thanks for the heads up. I would have researched that tomorrow, but Celeste's comments were reassuring in that regard.

@Polenth: I agree completely that we don't want to make it complicated. The simpler, the better.

@Celeste: Thanks for clearing up the legality issue for the US. My friend will be using rafflecopter for this giveaway too. The discount probably isn't necessary. I just thought it might garner some good will. I will have a "must be postmarked by" date on the coupon to discourage procrastination, as in, "I'll save the coupon and buy it later." lol

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks, RL. Glad to hear you would recommend rafflecopter too. I do like either of those ideas as well. Now to decide which one to use.

Spell-it-out
07-25-2013, 07:05 AM
I think having people like your Facebook page (if you actively use one) or share the giveaway on Facebook is good because it helps get your name out there. If you use your Facebook page a lot, there's a chance people will stay connected to it, and therefore you. Good luck, Ann!

I agree with this, and on that note Ann, is there a link for us here to 'like' your facebook page?

I also noticed you're up to 8 reviews on Amazon, congrats!

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi Sio, I did it, but it looks ugly, not like other people's on here. I had to erase some of my signature because I got what I always get when I try to add my book to my sig. This: "Your signature cannot be longer than 800 characters including BB code markup." :Headbang: I haven't a clue what any of that means. But at least you can check out my FB author page. I will be updating it towards the end of the week.

Hopefully, I can get some help with these issues the end of August when some knowledgeable people will be visiting.

Thanks, Sio!

sarahdalton
07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
I think your page looks lovely! I've just liked. :)

I've been involved in rafflecopter giveaways as well and it takes the stress out of it. I've never actually ran the giveaway before though, it's been through blog tour organisers and they just email me a list of names.

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Sarah. And thanks for liking me! It's my link to the FB page that looks so ugly. Most people' sig link just says 'facebook' and it's blue and underlined, like all the goodies in your sig. Oh well at least it's linked.

How are you coming on your novel? I've had to delay mine a bit due to tons of out of town company. Hugs!

Celeste Carrara
07-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Ann, when I click that FB link it brings me to my FB home page, not your author page. Maybe it's a problem on my end since I'm trying on my iPhone?

sarahdalton
07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Thank you, Sarah. And thanks for liking me! It's my link to the FB page that looks so ugly. Most people' sig link just says 'facebook' and it's blue and underlined, like all the goodies in your sig. Oh well at least it's linked.

How are you coming on your novel? I've had to delay mine a bit due to tons of out of town company. Hugs!

Oh, I get you! Try typing the word 'Facebook' and then highlighting it. Then click on the insert hyperlink button (the world symbol with the link next to it -- it's in the toolbar with the fonts etc) and copying and pasting the link to your facebook page.

The novel is done! I published it a couple of days ago. It feels so nice to be free of the series. I was going to have a break but I'm chomping at the bit to work on something else. Lol! I think I'm becomming a workaholic!

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 07:41 PM
@Sarah: I tried your directions and finally got it to work. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

@Celeste: Try now and let me know if it works, if you would be so kind. Thanks!

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 07:48 PM
hahahahahaha Now I've gone and gotten giddy. I do believe I've actually hooked up to my one and only novel on Amazon. You've created a monster, Sarah! hahahaha

PS: Congrats on getting that last in the series published. You should have let me know, silly! I shall go purchase it at once. Excited!

Celeste Carrara
07-25-2013, 09:27 PM
@Celeste: Try now and let me know if it works, if you would be so kind. Thanks!

It worked! I just liked your page! :) I would love for you to like mine as well, the link can be found on the homepage of my website which is linked below.

Celeste Carrara
07-25-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure if I ever told you this before, the cover of your book is beautiful!

Spell-it-out
07-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Ann, when I click that FB link it brings me to my FB home page, not your author page. Maybe it's a problem on my end since I'm trying on my iPhone?

I'm afraid that is still happening for me? It goes straight to my home page.

hahahahahaha Now I've gone and gotten giddy. I do believe I've actually hooked up to my one and only novel on Amazon. You've created a monster, Sarah! hahahaha

What may look even better, Ann, is if instead of typing 'Amazon', you could put 'Heart song - On Amazon' or some variant of in your sig? It may help people who find you here and don't know what you've to offer.

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Thank you Celeste. I'm so glad it's working. Next, I'll figure out how to get my book covers on here. All a big learning curve for me.

Glad you like my cover. I knew it was the right one the minute I saw it. I am going to have the designer enlarge my name a bit on this one as well as the next so it's easier to see on the thumbnail. For the next book, I'll be using a gorgeous sunset photo my daughter took in Maui, which is where much of the story takes place. I'm just hoping the designer finds the quality suitable.

I will go and like yours as soon as I finish some light editing I do for a friend's monthly teaching that I promised to send to him today.

Polenth
07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
There's some extra gubbins in the Facebook link which causes the redirecting to home issue. Delete the part between facebook.com/ and /pages/

So the clean link is this:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joyce-Ann-Naslund/169368073236630

sarahdalton
07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure if I ever told you this before, the cover of your book is beautiful!

Lovely, isn't it?

@Ann Woop! So glad I helped. I can never think of the names for these buttons and always seem to resort to -- the thingy-mi-bob next to the wotsit.

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm afraid that is still happening for me? It goes straight to my home page.

Oh no, how disappointing. Even with the blue FB?

What may look even better, Ann, is if instead of typing 'Amazon', you could put 'Heart song - On Amazon' or some variant of in your sig? It may help people who find you here and don't know what you've to offer.

Did you click on the Amazon as well, and if you did, didn't it work either? I like your idea, Sio. I'll change it later today, after I finish up some work I'm doing and run a couple of errands.

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Hmmm... wondering why it worked for Celeste and not Sio. Could it be Sio's location? It seems like I remember reading something about this very thing on AW awhile back. Hmmm *scratches head*

sarahdalton
07-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I think Polenth figured it out a few posts up. Something to do with some extra gubbins!

Spell-it-out
07-25-2013, 10:18 PM
There's some extra gubbins in the Facebook link which causes the redirecting to home issue. Delete the part between facebook.com/ and /pages/

So the clean link is this:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joyce-Ann-Naslund/169368073236630

Even that didn't work for me? Still Home page.

Hmmm... wondering why it worked for Celeste and not Sio. Could it be Sio's location? It seems like I remember reading something about this very thing on AW awhile back. Hmmm *scratches head*

Maybe it's a location thing, I don't know! Awh D'oh!

ETA: The Amazon links works perfectly, thank you!

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Okay, Sio. I think I've got it now. I took out the extra gubbins as Polenth suggested. Thanks, Polenth! I hope it works for anyone that wants to check it out now. So glad the Amazon one worked. w00t!

sarahdalton
07-25-2013, 10:41 PM
It's really weird. It works fine for me and I'm Uk, so not that far from SIO.

Ann Joyce
07-25-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm thinking and hoping it will work for Sio now too since I've taken the gubbins out. ;)

Spell-it-out
07-26-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm on iPhone now, so ill try from laptop on morning. Sorry for being so awkward :) thanks Ann!

We've gone a little off topic!