• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Mentor Success Stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsa773

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while, and although this forum has 'Mentors' in the title it's really mentioned much. So I figured I'd ask around, has anyone had a positive experience with a mentor?

I ask because I feel like I'm at a stage where I feel like I need a mentor more than a beta.

Coupland

Registered
Reaction score
No success stories from me per se. But if you get a good agent they might be able to support you in that way. Happy to crit a synopsis and getting quite good at that now.

AlixLydon

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh goodness, I beg to differ on that last point about finding an agent who'll mentor you in anything other than the process of selling your book. It might happen, but my experience with agents says otherwise.

I'm fairly new here, but I get the impression that the Mentors in the title are the general community rather than specific one-on-one mentorships.

Try sharing some parts of your work in the appropriate SYW forum, and continue to ask questions and support other writers. Mentors will emerge from those who frequently take an interest and give good feedback. You'll probably find that you have information to offer newer writers as well, and you'll soon be acting as a sort of mentor as well.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get a feeling that mentor is gradually being turned around here to represent someone whose suggestions and advice may be noted and acted upon without any acknowledged mentor relationship as such at all.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> has anyone had a positive experience with a mentor?

Has anyone been able to find a mentor at all?

-cb

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I have acted as a mentor here for several AW members (who shall remain nameless unless they choose to reveal themselves...)

I believe they've gotten benefit from my help, but they'd have to be the judges of that. On other sites, I wound up mentoring a few people after critiquing their work and had those writers go on to publication.

It can happen. But it doesn't always happen in-thread. ;)

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
I was lucky to stumble across a mentor. He's a successful European author and taught me a lot about writing and the publishing business. He encouraged me to keep going, praised my strengths and pointed out my weaknesses. Because of his tutelage, I've finished writing three novels and am shopping one out as we speak.

I don't know how one actively goes about getting a mentor, though. If I ever get published, I'm going to pay it forward and mentor another writer.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find a mentor at all?

I've benefited grandly from what Bufty suggested are a collective of mentors here, unacknowledged individually yet helpful and encouraging.

I could point to several personal mentors at AW. One goes out of her way to help me--of course when I'm at my dumbest but especially when I'm stubbornly working hard to resist all help.

She'd be surprised and embarrassed if named. Those are the best mentors. :ty:

rsa773

Registered
Reaction score
That's really uplifting. I do agree about the collective mentors, the people here are very helpful and encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.