Dubai: Norwegian rape VICTIM pardoned, "free to go" (Trigger Alert)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
How nice of Dubai.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23404042

Norwegian national Marte Deborah Dalelv was originally sentenced to a 16 month prison term for consuming alcohol and having sex outside of marriage. After she reported the March 6 rape her passport and money were seized and she was charged and convicted.

The man involved received a sentence of 13 months.

He has also been pardoned.

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I've been following this story. Like most people who aren't backwards fools, I find it sad, and disgusting. I'm sorry she was raped, and I'm sorry she was treated with absolutely no dignity, no respect. To hell with them and their disgusting laws.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Uh screw Dubai. The article was generous to use the phrase "very conservative" rather than "enthusiastic about shitting all over human rights, especially the rights of women."

Too bad the victim didn't have the four male witnesses required to validate her assault.

I'm going to go break some things.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this story gets as wide a distribution as possible.
Dubai is being heavily sold as a tourist destination. I hope anyone female thinking of going there reads this story first.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well aren't the Dubai authorities magnanimous. Ignorant asshats.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that story blew my mind. As did the apparent lack of outrage from news organizations, and the Norwegian government.

From what I saw by the Norse government and media, that is not a correct portrayal of what they did.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, that story blew my mind. As did the apparent lack of outrage from news organizations, and the Norwegian government.

Yeah, that's not accurate at all.

This is from the article:

The Norwegian government said it had been in daily contact with the Dubai authorities through diplomatic and official channels since Ms Dalelv was sentenced - arguing the jail term represented a human rights violation.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And one other thing.... the guy she accused of raping her has not been either tried or convicted of it.

I'm not saying she's lying but she may not be telling the truth either. Lets not tar him guilty just because he's a man.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
And one other thing.... the guy she accused of raping her has not been either tried or convicted of it.

I'm not saying she's lying but she may not be telling the truth either. Lets not tar him guilty just because he's a man.

Well that's because he can't be unless he confesses or four other men were present as witnesses.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sigh.... ok, just totally and wilfully misunderstand what I'm saying if it suits you better.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

That's a good point. From the article it appears the man was convicted of extramarital sex and alcohol consumption just as Ms. Dalelv was, but not of rape.

She may have gotten a longer sentence than the man because she was also charged with perjury.

I don't know about tarring him -- he was not named, interestingly -- but I prefer to give at least benefit of the doubt to women who go to the police with rape charges.

I have edited the first post slightly to reflect that.

It does look like the Norwegian government was heavily involved.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score

American news organizations (and I admit I didn't see much about it from the American feminists, feminist organizations, and news outlets I follow on Twitter). I don't know what the reaction was like within Norway.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
It was on CNN and Fox news. I think plenty of people covered it, but just when it happened, rather than any follow ups. Which makes sense. The story is that it happened and now that she's been pardoned. I don't think there were any real developments along the way?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Maybe it's the way the story I read was written, and I'd not heard about this before. I work with victims of rape and to arrest someone after they make that allegation... hit me in a soft spot, I guess. Well done Norway for daily contact and ... (oops, there I go again).

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
It's a very strange country. I don't get the fascination so many people have with going there. It's not worth the risk.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quite a few colleagues and friends of mine have been there, and they all drank to their hearts content.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Dubai

Sad to say, this by far the most liberal place in the region.

Last edited:

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
2008, Australian woman sentenced to eight months in jail, after having been raped by three men.

2010, British couple sentenced to a month in jail, after a kiss in a restaurant.

Another British couple gets three months after having sex on the beach.

Come to Dubai people, we'll give you a holiday experience you'll never forget.

For fuck's sake!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
But.... isn't like other countries drug laws? I'm not condoning it but if you know that public displays of affection are illegal, why do it? These people are grown-ups, they should have more sense.

Obviously that doesn't apply in cases of rape.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
But.... isn't like other countries drug laws? I'm not condoning it but if you know that public displays of affection are illegal, why do it? These people are grown-ups, they should have more sense.

I get your point. And to an extent, I agree. But I also feel that showing love and affection shouldn't be regulated or restricted by other people. And I'm not talking about doing the do in the middle of the marketplace or during church service. But kissing, hugging, walking hand in hand; it only concerns those people who are in love. Only they can decide to either show how they feel or keep it private. If it disturbs other people, they should simply avert their eyes.

From the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Article 19.

• Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Doesn't this imply everyone is free to express their love for one another? Isn't love something that cannot be governed by law?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe love should be free to all. But in Dubai it's not. And the people living there know this. So if they decide to 'publicly show their love' (not sure that can be applied to having sex on a public beach but what the hey) then they should be prepared to take the consequences.

You might not like it but it's the law in Dubai. And those people were grown ups. They should be able to control themselves.