• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing to beta, also willing to swap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

november_rain

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm writing a realistic YA novel, but so far I only have about 5000 words. I'd really appreciate if someone could take a look at them and critique.

I'm also willing to critique your work, whether you want to swap or not. But if do, since I haven't written a great deal yet, I'm willing to beta your work first, and then send you mine when I have at least ~10 000 words...

I've never beta'd a full manuscript before, only short stories...but I do have a lot of time on my hands. After all, I'm a teenager :)

I'm probably not the most knowledgeable person about writing, but since I am a teen I'm especially willing to beta YA :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi november_rain (Gn'R reference. Love.), but it's probably helpful if you give a brief description of your work so that people have an idea what it's about.

Also, since you're only 5K in, it's probably not a good idea to beta without finishing. You might get murky feedback. It's also not a good idea to submit first drafts for beta reading. First drafts are messy and it might need some polishing. That said, you're only about 20 pages in. If you get feedback, it might be detrimental to your writing as it might 1) distract you from getting any actual writing done, and 2) the feedback might be discouraging. So, solicit betas at your own risk.

Furthermore, not sure if you need to reach 50 posts to be able to request a beta reader, but if you do want some sort of feedback, get to 50 posts and consider posting something in the SYW forum.

For further info, go here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133279

Good luck to you.

Coupland

Registered
Reaction score
What DT said about being careful about being put off. But on the other hand getting a "proper" critique of some rough writing can be very illuminating when starting out. As long as you understand that people with 10+ years writing experience are going to be able to spot things you miss and take it the right way it can be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.