• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Readers for YA Romantic Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking for beta readers to help with the plot and character part of this stage of revisions, but if you're good at line edits, let me know and I'll keep you in mind for the next stage. It's only 21.6K, so it shouldn't take TOO long to read, haha.

Here's my query letter:

Dear Agent,
Fifteen year old Nicky Valentine may have a really romantic last name, but when it comes to girls, he’s totally useless.
So how the hell is he related to Cupid?
He’s never had any luck with his crush, Charlotte Starr, despite anything and everything that he’s done to try and impress her – all that happens is shit that ends in embarrassment and shame. It doesn’t help that she’s incredibly popular and has a boyfriend.
So imagine his shock when Cupid turns up on the eve of his sixteenth birthday and declares he’s his dad. Pretty sure that Cupid is just a crazy ass middle aged man, he doesn’t believe him. But then Cupid says that his powers will activate at midnight and Nicky starts to wonder if he might be able to get Charlotte’s attention at last.
His powers are activated, but then it turns out that being the son of Cupid with awesome powers is harder than being the son of Cupid without any. Especially when it looks like things are going to go horribly wrong.
STUPID CUPID is a YA Romantic Comedy.
Thank you for reading this,
Sincerely,
Me

Thank you in advance! :)

kestra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kestra.ca
I'm looking to start beta reading, so I may be interested. I'll give you more info about myself when I'm done work this evening.

kestra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kestra.ca
Hello again.

I'll tell you a little more about myself.
I'm interested in editing as much, if not more so, as I am in writing. I'm an amateur but from previous work I've done, I believe I have a good sense for both substantive and line editing. I'd like to jump into beta reading to gain experience and improve my skills.

I became involved in my children stories WIP by being asked to be a beta reader for one of the stories. I couldn't help but offer line-editing suggestions at the same time. Eventually I was asked to write a story that the other two writers were having trouble with, and my story was well praised by our other readers. The result of that was being asked to be a contributing author/editor for the remainder of the stories.

I did a casual beta read for one other novel, but the plot was so bad I didn't finish reading the book. (There wasn't any agreement that I would finish it.) I've also critiqued some blog posts for someone I only knew over the internet. In both cases, even my negative remarks were well received. I'm direct in my comments, and will always give an honest critique, without being mean.

I have written novels when I was younger, but haven't been back in the fiction-writing game long enough to have a novel completed yet. So at this point, I wouldn't require any reciprocal agreement. Only a recommendation to others if you feel I do a good job.

If you'd like to see my writing style and self-editing skills, check out my blog.

Your book is short, so I could read the whole thing and provide detailed comments in two weeks time.

If you are interested, please pm me, or just respond here. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Can you PM your email please and I'll get back to you ASAP. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.