• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Light SF YA seeking Betafish for Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Well okay, it's a water cooler, not a fish tank. But you know what I mean.

So I have my first finished manuscript. It's not polished, it's not fancy, but I've gone through it three times. But I need an outsider's eye to look at it. I had an original beta at home and after printing it off and handing them highlighters and post-it-notes, kids and summer just got in the way, and I want to move forward.

My sequel is already 25K in (the original finished product is at 82K right now), but I need it looked at for story flaws and plot holes mostly; suggestions for my villain, maybe if you're up to it, and character consistencies.

The grammar, the structure and the prose doesn't worry me. (It's not perfect, I'm not delusional). But I need another objective eye to look at the story and make sure it makes sense. Things have been switched around, re-ordered, removed and displaced that even after I've gone back to square one, it still makes sense to me because I know what's supposed to happen. But others might not get it.

So short summary- It's a light SF YA adventure of a group of children on their escape from a facility from which they've spent a decade in, discovering the truths of their past, their identities and the future (if they can salvage one) ahead.

I'll Beta/swap with someone if they have something that’s similar (or at least YA, that’s what I’m really into right now) and we can chat/follow up with each other either via pm or skype (skype might be best?). If no one has anything to offer and just has the free time to take a stab at this, I’d appreciate it. Putting faith and trust in the forum is a pretty big leap, but the community is really good here.

Hopefully I’m not just naïve. :)

Any help?

Whitley

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried posting your first chapter to SYW? Might encourage people to take a bite if they have a small sample first.

Coupland

Registered
Reaction score
If you want feedback on the story then maybe try just posting the 1-page synopsis. If it makes sense this should be something people can tell you fairly easily.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely spaced on posting at least a synopisis or character sample.. but I had a fair few people PM me and I've made some swaps and had some offers to read/critique. So thank you, all you lovely people. :)

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're still looking for betas, I'm potentially interested! Feel free to PM if that's the case. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.