Workshopping?

julirew

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianarew.com
I've seen the W1/S1 thread, which looks like a good deal. Do others have experience with other "co-op" workshops such as Critters? I'm finding Critters requires a lot of work before you can submit one of your own.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the W1/S1 thread, which looks like a good deal. Do others have experience with other "co-op" workshops such as Critters? I'm finding Critters requires a lot of work before you can submit one of your own.

Critters is a good workshop for beginner and intermediate writers. The requirement to critique others' work before you can post your own is actually an excellent way to keep the workshop viable and prevent fly-by-night writers from posting their stories and never giving anything back.

There are a few other communities similar to Critters, like Baen's Bar and others, but none will offer you a shortcut of free critiques before you put in a little work.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. There are some workshops that don't have the same wait time built in - I"ve been a member of OWW for years, even though there's a subscription cost, just because I often don't want that multi-week wait. SYW, here on AW, is a free alternative. You might also be able to find a local real-life group.

I'm not sure if your question was just about the wait time or about the work it takes to do the required critiques to have your own work reviewed, but, like Alex said, you'll wear out your welcome quickly anywhere if you post your own work without critiquing others. I also agree with him that critiquing other people's work is one of the very best ways to improve your own. SYW requires 50 posts on AW before you can share there, and the more of those that are critiques, the more likely you are to receive some back. OWW requires four points per submission at an average rate of one point per critique.

Hope that helps.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Online Writing Workshop, Critters, Scribophile, Critique Circle...

Probably more. They're useful, and some are better than others, but I don't think any of them can substitute for a really good beta-reader.

I suggest joining up with one of them though, if you want some basic reviews. Just don't expect too in-depth of a look. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Online Writing Workshop, Critters, Scribophile, Critique Circle...

Probably more. They're useful, and some are better than others, but I don't think any of them can substitute for a really good beta-reader.

I suggest joining up with one of them though, if you want some basic reviews. Just don't expect too in-depth of a look. :)

Speaking for myself, I've gotten everything from basic reviews to really excellent ones through workshops (from folks at all levels of experience). Some of my most long-term beta readers are very talented and well-published folks that I originally met on OWW and many are now SFWA members.
ETA: You never know who you'll find in workshops - Aliette de Bodard was a member of OWW and Elizabeth Bear is still a member with current reviews, and Ken Liu was a long-time participant at Critters (not sure if he still is)!

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think Critters is mostly just SFF, too.

Last edited: