Single books or series?

JoeHill

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to ask some agents here if there is any preference for a series(e.g. a trilogy) as opposed to a single book. Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to share.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've read here and on agent blogs, and from my personal experience, agents and publishers want books that can stand alone. However, series potential can be a very good thing, especially in some genres. You should query a single book but can mention that it has series potential.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Write each book as stand-alones, and query the first like Ferret said.

Aside from that, if you're hard-set on trade publishing, I suggest you write the first book and heavily plot the next couple and leave writing them off until a publisher agrees to pick up those books--it'll be a waste of your time otherwise.

That said, I also suggest you look into just writing a single, good book. Instead of expending all the time and energy on a trilogy, focus on that one book and pack in all your good ideas. Because that book matters.

Doing the above two will give you more time to write separate stories which could get picked up by agents/editors instead of the one your query. e.i. if the agent/editor doesn't like that one story, you can bring them a separate one (that you spent the time you'd be using for a sequel) that they might like.