Do you need info on Russia/USSR/Eastern Europe?

JoeHill

Registered
Reaction score
If your story involves Russia, Russians, or Eastern Europe and you don't want it to be hilariously bad like Call of Duty, I'm your go-to guy. I've been living in Russia for about seven years now and have extensive experience of traveling and living in Eastern Europe.

Ask away!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Any good books in English about Ana Pavlovna, the youngest sister of Tsar Alexander I? I've read a book with some letters she wrote to her mother and brothers but I'd love a good biography, or more letters, or good descriptions of her dowrey and all the things she took with her to the Netherlands.

She is a character in my story. So eventually I'll be looking for a beta reader who can critique her dialogue. I want it to be the English of a person who is not fluent in English; but I don't want it to be a horrible parody or put down.

JoeHill

Registered
Reaction score
Any good books in English about Ana Pavlovna, the youngest sister of Tsar Alexander I? I've read a book with some letters she wrote to her mother and brothers but I'd love a good biography, or more letters, or good descriptions of her dowrey and all the things she took with her to the Netherlands.

She is a character in my story. So eventually I'll be looking for a beta reader who can critique her dialogue. I want it to be the English of a person who is not fluent in English; but I don't want it to be a horrible parody or put down.

Unfortunately Napoleonic-era isn't my strongpoint, but as for the English I would figure that she probably spoke French most of the time like a lot of Russian nobles. You'd have to think about what kind of mistakes a French-speaker would make in English.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Gee, Joe, I thought the copper bosses had you shot in Salt Lake City. Glad you survived.
;-) (I couldn't resist)

JoeHill

Registered
Reaction score
Gee, Joe, I thought the copper bosses had you shot in Salt Lake City. Glad you survived.
;-) (I couldn't resist)

Turns out I was right about that pie in the sky.