Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/19/w...t-world-fearing-worst.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

How Picassos, Matisses, Monets and other precious masterpieces may have met a fiery fate in a remote Romanian village, population 3,400, is something the police are still trying to understand. The theft has turned into a compelling and convoluted mystery that underscores the intrigues of the international criminal networks lured by high-priced art and the enormous difficulties involved in storing, selling or otherwise disposing of well-known works after they have been stolen.

It's the incineration of the masterpieces that outrages me.

She couldn't have just abandoned them in the town square and twigged the authorities?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
This article makes my heart hurt. There were so many other things she could have done instead of burning them! I guess she wanted to destroy them to avoid leaving fingerprints (her own or her son's)? And now there are 7 works of art that the world will never see again in their original beauty. It's a travesty.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hmm. It appears maybe ... perhaps ... it didn't happen, or at least not fully:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23678645

Suspects in the theft of seven artworks have offered to return them in exchange for moving their trial from Romania to the Netherlands, their lawyers say.

One of the lawyers said their clients had offered to return five of the paintings, with no mention made of the remaining two.

About this I am cautiously hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.