Where will Dick Cheney strike next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
God, this feels like Whitechapel in the 1890s!

I'm guessing he's going to take out Charlton Heston next!

There's only room enough for one power-mad, gun-toting psycho-conservative in this country!

KABLAMMO!!!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought....

If it truly was an accident, do you feel badly for the VP at all? I mean, if you were out with a friend having a good time and something you did injured your friend severely, wouldn't you be rather upset about it?

Regardless of your political feelings toward the VP, do you feel sorry for him as a person that was involved in a difficult situation?

Just curious.

Take care all -

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I do. I was surprised to find myself feeling bad for him today. [And I'm close to thinking he might be the anti-Christ, so that's quite a leap.] What hunter wants to shoot someone in their party? And who would wish that experience on someone? Of course I feel worse for the fellow who was shot, but being the shooter would be a horrible thing to go through.

That said, if there was, in fact, anything nefarious going on [drinking before shooting, for example] that instigated a cover-up, I will not be sympathetic to that and my opinion would change.

ETA: Obviously, if the man dies, then he's worse off. But let's say he lives and recovers well. Then I wonder if it might be worse to be the person who did the shooting. The victim has to get past the physical injury, but they have the power to forgive. The shooter will have that guilt over them for the rest of his/her life; even with forgiveness, it seems to be a more tortured existence.

Last edited:

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
mkcbunny said:
I do. I was surprised to find myself feeling bad for him today. [And I'm close to thinking he might be the anti-Christ, so that's quite a leap.] What hunter wants to shoot someone in their party? And who would wish that experience on someone? Of course I feel worse for the fellow who was shot, but being the shooter would be a horrible thing to go through.

That said, if there was, in fact, anything nefarious going on [drinking before shooting, for example] that instigated a cover-up, I will not be sympathetic to that and my opinion would change.

I agree. I hope it was nothing more than an unfortunate accident and that all persons concerned recover and are able to put the event behind them.

Take care all -

Puddle Jumper

Of course the media was extremely eager to jump all over it. They critisize because news of the event did not come out until 21 hours after it happened. My thought is - hey, it's less than a day after it happened. It hadn't even been 24 hours. I would imagine they were more concentrated on the guy who got shot and making sure he was alright than thinking of ways to please the media. Or perhaps trying to find the right way to inform the media.

I know someone who's a hunter and he's rather critical of Cheney saying he would have never made a mistake like that. If a person came into his sight range he wouldn't pull the trigger.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone ever see the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (or something like that) with Russell Crowe? There is a scene in there were a guy on the ship is targeting a bird and as it swoops over the bow, the man follows the flight path with his gun. He's focused on the bird and as he turns to follow the bird's movement, he fires....right into the ship's doctor.

I have no extra info in regards to this situation, but I would 'assume' that while hunting birds that a person would tend to have to move their gun to keep the weapon targeted on their intended prey. I would also 'assume' that if a person were to accidentally step into the line of fire at the exact moment that the hunter pulls the trigger there would be little the hunter could do about it....

Again, I hope for everyone's sake, it was an accident...that the wounded person recovers....and that the VP is able to somehow put this unfortunate incident behind him.

Take care all -

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Anyone ever see the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (or something like that) with Russell Crowe? There is a scene in there were a guy on the ship is targeting a bird and as it swoops over the bow, the man follows the flight path with his gun. He's focused on the bird and as he turns to follow the bird's movement, he fires....right into the ship's doctor.

I have no extra info in regards to this situation, but I would 'assume' that while hunting birds that a person would tend to have to move their gun to keep the weapon targeted on their intended prey. I would also 'assume' that if a person were to accidentally step into the line of fire at the exact moment that the hunter pulls the trigger there would be little the hunter could do about it....

Again, I hope for everyone's sake, it was an accident...that the wounded person recovers....and that the VP is able to somehow put this unfortunate incident behind him.

Take care all -

There's a tremendous difference between a marine, a crack marksman, shooting a person with a minie ball (muskets, muzzle-loaders, are EXTREMELY hard to aim properly), and some geezer spraying an even more antiquated geezer with birdshot. The purpose of birdshot is that it makes it much easier to take down a flying, swooping, looping target, because you're not launching one bullet (like with a musket), but a whole flock of them. For that very reason, the high possibility of damage to those on the periphery of the target (plus the fact that you can't eat an animal shot full of birdshot, so it's pretty much a for-trophies missile), it should be outlawed, especially in the hands of myopic senior citizens. But that's a whole other debate.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My-Immortal said:
Just a thought....

If it truly was an accident, do you feel badly for the VP at all? I mean, if you were out with a friend having a good time and something you did injured your friend severely, wouldn't you be rather upset about it?

Regardless of your political feelings toward the VP, do you feel sorry for him as a person that was involved in a difficult situation?

Just curious.

Take care all -

You're bringing us down man! Stop bringing humanity into the equation! :tongue

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
No, I don't feel sorry for the VP. Why? Because men in power tend to have a psyche that doesn't include emotional concern for other people. Otherwise, they wouldn't be capable of manipulating other people well enough to get into power. When it comes to emotion, people like Cheney mostly feel sorry for themselves, not others.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
No, I don't feel sorry for the VP. Why? Because men in power tend to have a psyche that doesn't include emotional concern for other people. Otherwise, they wouldn't be capable of manipulating other people well enough to get into power. When it comes to emotion, people like Cheney mostly feel sorry for themselves, not others.

From your own statement should we conclude that you too are a man of power? ;)

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
There's a tremendous difference between a marine, a crack marksman, shooting a person with a minie ball (muskets, muzzle-loaders, are EXTREMELY hard to aim properly), and some geezer spraying an even more antiquated geezer with birdshot. The purpose of birdshot is that it makes it much easier to take down a flying, swooping, looping target, because you're not launching one bullet (like with a musket), but a whole flock of them. For that very reason, the high possibility of damage to those on the periphery of the target (plus the fact that you can't eat an animal shot full of birdshot, so it's pretty much a for-trophies missile), it should be outlawed, especially in the hands of myopic senior citizens. But that's a whole other debate.

In a way, you strengthened my point...(I think?).

The VP didn't even have to "aim" at the man he hit (just his general direction)....the man was perhaps just in the 'wrong place at the wrong time'.

Regardless, as I've stated, (and no one else MUST feel this way either), if it was truly an accident, then I feel sorry for all parties involved.

Take care all -

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:

I agree completely. And I'd like to add that since he is such a crack shot, we ought to send the VP on the next transport to Iraq.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
DaveKuzminski said:

That's a weird thought. Men in power don't have emotions? How do you know what emotional concern Cheney showed when he realized he shot his companion? How do you know what Cheney feels knowing that the buckshot is lodged in this guy's heart and gave him a coronary?

Unless you actually know Cheney, I don't think you can make such broad blanket prejudicial statements.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
That's a weird thought. Men in power don't have emotions? How do you know what emotional concern Cheney showed when he realized he shot his companion? How do you know what Cheney feels knowing that the buckshot is lodged in this guy's heart and gave him a coronary?

Unless you actually know Cheney, I don't think you can make such broad blanket prejudicial statements.

Well, the guy did wait 21 hours before he disclosed news of the incident, probably to give himself an ample headstart (old guys don't run too fast, particularly from bloodthirsty mobs).

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and let's be honest here, he shot a lawyer, for crying out loud! Doesn't anybody read James Ellroy anymore? It's not like Cheney plugged a creature of moral conscience here. Lawyers exist just below jellies, in my book. Jellies don't have brains or complete digestive tracts, but at least they're pretty, especially when they're glowing in the dark!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm sure they didn't just sit at some guys house while his friend was bleeding. I'm pretty sure they got the guy to a hospital. Disclosing it to the news is really of secondary importance as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not defending any of this. Just arguing with you guys. :tongue

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
my favorite tidbit from this day in hypocrisy:

sen. harry reid (minority leader, mind you, not some rank and file junior senator) comes out yesterday and takes cheney to task for not going to the media for 21 hours.

and yet, last august, reid himself had a stroke and his minions didn't release the news to the media for 3 days.

henriette

Registered
Reaction score
i don't feel sorry for cheney. in fact, i don't feel sorry for any of them, except the old man who's last days on earth will be spent recovering from this ridiculous accident.

why a bunch of rich men need to hunt anything is beyond my comprehension. they have the best chefs and most delectable food served to them on a daily basis. they are not shooting quail for survival. there is NO NEED for anyone of that kind of status to be out in a field shooting at helpless quails. there are shooting ranges and video games for that kind of entertainment.

stupid is as stupid does.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Hunting is not a sport. And those who treat is as such...well, you really don't want me to get started on what I think of them :)

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
why a bunch of rich men need to hunt anything is beyond my comprehension. they have the best chefs and most delectable food served to them on a daily basis. they are not shooting quail for survival. there is NO NEED for anyone of that kind of status to be out in a field shooting at helpless quails. there are shooting ranges and video games for that kind of entertainment.

stupid is as stupid does.

HERE HERE!

(Or, hear hear.)

Either way ...I agree.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
In your opinion. They are called sportsmen. :tongue

*I* don't call them sportsmen. I don't even call them men.

Status
Not open for further replies.